1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Alright folks, I've decided to shut it down after a million. I'm gonna print out the cert and frame it.

You can call on me for chimp challenge and such, but I FEEL as I have done enough.
    [H]@RD5TUFF and thebluebumblebee say thanks.
  2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    anyone folding with a fx8120 , im interested in what itll do, i only have to wait till next wednesdays payday and im back tho it may take a day or two to get/build, wc is a bitch.

it does also mean me spare crapper pc gets to fold again(cant fold at min in use too much)
  3. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    If anyone has spare cards laying around and wants them to be folding,im offering 3 pcie x16 slots :)
  4. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    mstenholm says thanks.
  5. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    whats the fix for lag in windows 7 while folding?
  6. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Returned to my rigs after 28 days. 2 days downtime out off 56 (2x28) possible and they just began two days ago due to a bad GPU driver. Noticed that I missed my cherry pie moment. The internet in the Turkmen desset is not good. Electricity is for free in that country but that would that help a folder with no internet? Now running on all 12 cylinders.
    KieX and thebluebumblebee say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    What card are you Folding with? If it's an ATI/AMD running GPU2, you will need to put in the environmental variables.

Edit: figured out you're using a Nvidia GPU2 client. What is slowing down for you?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  8. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I would like to know as well. The lag issue on my folding boxes, running win7 with nvidia cards, is horrible. I never had that issue under xp64. When you try to do other things on the box, apps open in slooooooow motion ect. Really annoying, and is the same on intel or amd based systems for me.
  9. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  10. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    Opera 12 and opera 12 x64 can also get a bit laggy whilst running GPU folding specially if the page is flash heavy
  11. KieX

Thanks Received:
  12. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I don't get it with just ie, just general system responsiveness. I wanted to use my folders as servers, like I used to, but even doing the simplest tasks are super sluggish. I can like click on wordpad, and 2 minutes later it sluggishly comes up. This was even on my e8400 folder. When I used xp64, everything was instant, it's why I waited so long to upgrade to win7. When folding, my servers are useless for anything else under win7.
  13. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Just bought my xmas present. Once I heard ram prices are going up finally, I ordered my last 8gigs, so I'll have 24gigs of gskill ripjaws 1866mhz. I've seen the drive cache light, and now am reborn! Also, hate to see what 24gigs will cost in 4 weeks when price increases are in full effect.
    Edit: so close to firing up my i7 folder... I still need an hsf, but have everything else to make it run. I just had to make this last ram purchase.......
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    KieX says thanks.
  14. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I've been folding and crunching like crazy lately with the hardware in my sig. My 20 day old GT 440 already has a brown PCB spot around the Vcore mosfets so now I have a 120mm fan sitting on top of my SFF PC and blowing on the video card/PSU inside it.

I'm also surprised that my A770DE+ has held a 3.9GHz overclock at 1.5v for over a month without blowing up. The Dell/Lite-On 350w PSU powering that rig with its 5770 + 6670 still runs like a champ too at the office, despite the internal fan being maxed out. :D
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  15. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Jeez, I hope I don't keep getting in the top ten! I don't think I'm producing half the points you should be for that. I'm poor, I have an excuse!
  16. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Well, continuing on the topic of being broke... I've given up on the idea of water cooling for my main rig, it's just not going to happen. I've got all the parts for my triple slot i7 folder together now, except for an hsf. I need a cooler that can handle an i7 at 3.8ghz folding full blast. My polaris 120 could handle it, so I need something like that I guess. Anyone in Canada got a good used cooler I could get cheap? I just want to get this rig up and running, and don't have another 100 bucks to throw at it right now.
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Bad news, guys. I got to work this morning, and my dad and one of our employees told me my computers were off. They attempted to turn them back on, but the neon-lit switch on the 10 year old power strip somehow catastrophically failed, and my 2nd rig (crunch/fold 2 w/ A770DE+) powers up to a blank screen and an unresponsive keyboard. My secondary "Shoebox" SFF PC, which houses an AMD E-350 driving my GT 440, still works, thankfully. I have no idea WTF happened, whether a big fucking power surge came out of nowhere (no storms around) or my probably overloaded A770DE+, the screamin' 350w Dell PSU or something blew up and backfired through the mains and killed the power strip. Crunch/Fold 2 will be down until I can figure out what the hell happened, and I'll probably be rebuilding either my Crosshair III Formula with both cards or popping the 5770 in my recently acquired Intel X6800/ASRock G41M-S3 depending on what was damaged. :banghead:
  18. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Funny how folks over at *** thinks that this is "cheating" and not realizing that it is actually helping the "cause". What eats me up is the fact that some of their team members are only in it for the points but do they have to really say it is cheating because they are producing more than their team:shadedshu? I don't want to start sh*t so if you're curious as to who I am referring to, PM me;)
  19. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    That's why I like this team. The attitude over there makes me want to hurl. It was also amazing how long it took them to figure it out. I'm glad HP has chosen to (my guess) "stress test" their cloud systems this way.
  20. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, someone's been keeping tabs on my lurking habits:laugh:
  21. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  22. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Good news folks, I pulled out my old Crosshair III Formula, swapped the 955BE (overclocked to 3.9 again) out of my apparently dead A770DE+, popped my cards in with an 800w Mushkin PSU and 8GB DDR3, and upgraded to Win7 x64 (used XP on this machine before), so I'm taking it to work tomorrow and firing it back up to crunch and fold. The only downside now is that I can only allocate 40% of my CPU (with 100% thread time) to crunching while folding on 2 ATI cards. On XP I was able to pull off 60% without maxing out more than one core. Increasing to 50% causes my CPU to go from 80% to 100% now. :(

The back of my A770DE+ under the MOSFETS was discolored brown, the solder resin on the MOSFETS turned brown, and the power supply's P4 +12v leads had "folder's burn" as well as some discoloration in the board's P8 socket as well. I can only guess I pushed the board to its limits over the last few months and it finally blew up.

Luckily, my CIIIF has 8+2 phase delivery so I doubt it will be blowing up, although it has developed a strange problem where CMOS gets wiped when the board is unplugged for a while. Changed the battery twice, no dice. It's 2.5 years old, I guess it's getting a bit tired. :banghead:
  23. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    I'd say try re-flashing it with the latest BIOS and see how it goes after that I had a mobo that used to do that and re-flashing fixed it
  24. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    One rig down

It was time to clean the PC including the water loop. I decided to add a reservoir (bay-type) and change the hoses. I used an external PSU (so no damage to anything else) and at one point some water spilled over from the reservoir to the pump, which tripped the PSU. Does anyone know the resistances of a normally functioning Laing DDC - 1Plus (18W)? I think that I burned it (I measure 14.5 kohm) and have ordered a new one so until I get the new I will be down to one rig.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  25. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been laying low with only one rig running lately. Will prob be back to 3 rigs by the end of the month and who knows what the future holds. Keep up the great work boys!

:toast:
    mstenholm and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU