1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. mx500torid

mx500torid

Thanks Received:
    Ok Im confused. Must be something I am doing wrong. Got a 2600k folding @ 4.5 ghz and it was doing 28k to 32k ppd. So i put a 965 be in the mix and my ppd actually went down. I thought it might go up 4 to 6k. Now I put a 250gts in the mix on a different motherboard than these 2 and now Im down to 20k for today. Im thinking i should be around 40k. Any thoughts? I am using the v7 client on the cpus and console on the video card.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    ^^ I've got no idea other than, do you have enough bandwidth?

Edit: check the logs on the V7 Clients and select errors only to see if something was going on today.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    mx500torid says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  3. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    well im at full steam team, OC'd the 960T to 4150CPU 3050 cpu/nb , its been at that 48 hrs now folding (with a bit of gameing(not much guilt kicks in lol)) and its not strayed above 54degrees or 40 per core ,looking good ,now if the sod will just last a while untill PD comes out i might one day actually get folder 3 goin(my ol Q6600 was to meet this end but died instead,960T will be better anyway).

all in a 2xsmp + 2x AMD5800 and a gt240 up and folding, i did try affinity locking the P4 and gt240 but the gpu clients ppd still halfs on v7 client7.1.43 odd .

More than 25k PPD
  4. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    You got me confused as well. I think that you have to track the performance of your main folder. The easy (non intrusive) way that I use is this http://www.linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php Its the bonus calculator and it of course only works if you punch in the correct numbers. Further I would monitor both http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=437747 and http://kakaostats.com/usum.php?u=1493078 and then see if points are missing hold up aginst the log for the 2600K. Best of luck tracking down your missing points.

Edit: You might also have had one or more of the 6096s. Its a beta unit that was release some days ago and ended up on non-beta testers rigs and it sucked, pointswise. I got one.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    mx500torid and theoneandonlymrk say thanks.
  5. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Well, I guess being stubborn has it's merits.. Decided to try the P6T again, and once again it would only see 1 stick of ram, wouldn't post sometimes ug. So decided to try the last bios available for it. Fired right up with all 6gbs ram and completely stable, so I put it back in the box and am currently installing win7 on it. Sheesh!

theoneandonlymrk and mstenholm say thanks.
  6. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ He's at it again.:rolleyes:;)

[​IMG]

7. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    No choice, I just had to! And the i7 folder is verified alive!! I just got carried away and installed on a little 80gb hd that I parted for some reason.. just needed to see it install windows, and realized the part is too small. So one more install to go, and it's off to the races.

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  8. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Well, baby steps.. got the xeon folding at stock (3.2) but with nice low temps at stock 1.2v, and the 2 gtx260s. Says less than 2hrs for a smp8 job, but just started and it was going down. I'll probably have to tweak it some more, but going good for it's maiden run! Just checked, it's already up to 8% and 1hr 41mins, so looking good.

9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    epic, glad its up and runnin for you :toast:

i dont post ere much but i do follow closely the team thread;) when Is the chimp challenge

More than 25k PPD
  10. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Think the chimp is happening soon. Getting my boxes ready! Going to dump my first smp8 in 20mins, so kind of excited about that. Hottest core at 60c max, although do have a window open right behind it, thankfully its 2c out so tolerable mixed with the heat output from the box! Wonder if I can use advmethods or anything to get more ppd out of this i7....

11. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Chimp=early May

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  12. Rule-R

Rule-R New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the best way to fold (GPU excluded)?

v6 smp2 client on 4 cores with -advmethods? and big jobs?

13. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It really depends on what CPU you will be using. 6c/12t Intel socket 1366 CPUs have the best point production using -bigbeta and -bigadv flags on Linux OS.

Rule-R says thanks.
  14. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I would think that it would V6 and -smp flag. I'm not sure that there are any advmethods WUs.

Rule-R says thanks.
  15. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, if you have less than 12 threads, you can only use standard smp for cpu. However, you do get a mix of wus and ppd, I got a bunch of wus that took less than 2hrs, and now I'm chewing through one thats over 12hrs long, but should get a nice point dump when it's done.

16. Rule-R

Rule-R New Member

Thanks Received:
    And as for my specs?

I am using the smp2 windows console client without viewer. (requesting big WU's over 10mb on 4 cores with low priority using 100% CPU power)

Edit: im getting WU's with 1 million (1000000) steps.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  17. bogmali

Thanks Received:

For me SMP2 is my choice (console) since I've started folding, pretty straight forward as long as you know what you are doing. In your case, you're good to go with SMP2.

thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  18. Rule-R

Rule-R New Member

Thanks Received:
    With the mentioned settings, or should i tweak them?

19. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    I say stay with normal or small, the only reason to go big is if you are doing -bigadv otherwise you will get more PPD doing smaller WUs. Low Priority is prefered.

20. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Man, I'm using the v7 client, and getting hit with these 14hr wus that produce way less ppd than the smaller ones... can I make it just do the small ones? Pretty disappointed in my ppd from the i7 right now. Of course its only running at 3.2, and I'm not sure it's worth it to push ocs for smp jobs. I should learn the v7 client as my i7 folder can do one cpu and 3 gpus, so a bit of a management problem with single clients for each....

21. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the PPD difference on the small/big WU's? I am in a similar situation with my i7's. I swapped a i7-870/EVGA P55 SLI Micro for my son and took his PII x4-965/Cheap 880G board:shadedshu. I can get 6k/10K on SMP with the different WU's on the PII, but always get the same ppd on the i7's w/SMP(14K/15K) with 2x GTX460's on each rig. I'm still using Fahtracker v2. Should I switch to the v7 client guys?

22. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I've been running the V7 client for a while now and have had decent results. It is easier to navigate...more user friendly. The PPD are good. I'm a fan.

Link to newest beta: https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/BetaRelease

You should try it for your own self compare and post the results here so others can see if its a benefit.

23. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I think right now I'm only getting like 8k on my i7@3.2ghz, and I keep getting hit with the big wus. My q9450 was doing 11k+ and was getting mostly small wus. I better look at the v7 settings more closely, or else I'll just replace the cpu with a gpu and call it a day....

24. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Can you be a bit more specific when you say big WUs? Is it 6097, 98 and 99? If you don't want them then ask for small instead of big in the setup (don't use V7 myself but read that the choice is there). The above mentioned WUs only reduced my PPD with a few procent from the 75xx serie but alot compaired to the 6900s. I use hexs and get around 38 kPPD excl upload/download time @ 4,15 GHz (Win 7).

25. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to go back through my log, but it seems the ones that take the longest give the lowest ppd. Although I just finished a 7600 job that was 14hrs, and waiting so see what I got for it. Currently on a 8011 job that will take 2hrs or less, I seem to get much better av ppd with the quick jobs. Think I have to manually add the switch for small wus in the v7 client, but not sure what that is yet.