1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Thats the thing- I set both slots for GPU from the start but once I hit fold CPU hits 100% and the two cards sit idle.

Here is what I see (forgive the huge pic, but resizing it makes it impossible to read):
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    That's really weird. If you go to Configure > Expert, is SMP false and GPU true?

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    It was a driver issue. Apparently the stuff I have heard about AMD drivers are true- they are awful :laugh:

The best part was that after I got it working it turned out Core16 still needs essentially 1 CPU core per GPU to keep the cards at 99% activity. I thought the whole point of the improved client was better production and efficiency? If I lock both clients to one core (the unlocked one on my PhenomII B40), they hover at 60%.

Long short- abandon Folding on them for now, leave them as WCG GPUs for the time being.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    also update your driver to 12.3 as 12.2 is a POS driver

5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yep, AMD cards still use a buttload of CPU but do ~30% more points than they used to if I recall.

My Fermi GPUs can be run on single core machines as they use very little CPU, thankfully.

6. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Can't give you an answer but I suspect same type issue with my setup running 803x WU.

I don't want to babysit the computer so I'm running SMPs for the time being.

7. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    You're having problems with the 803x's? The only thing I see with them is that they run hotter than other WU's. The 764x's, on the other hand, those need babysitting, especially in multi-GPU environments.

On another note, I am going to retire from being a full time Folder due to Uncle Sam's demands. I'll be around and might shot in some work from time to time, but other than the CC, I'm done until our income situation changes. (it hasn't changed since 2001) My goal for this winter was to firmly place myself in the top 20 of our team, (mx500 is about to knock me out) and get into the top 2000 (<2000) of the project rankings.:ohwell: BTW, I don't see the ranking as a competition, it more like a golf score - you're playing against yourself.

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Sorry your situation is not what you want it to be.

Reminds me of a joke;

OMally goes to his favorite water hole, sits down and orders a drink.

Flannery, the bar keep, asks: Where've you been, I haven't seen you in a while.

O'Mally says: I haven't been feeling myself lately.

Flannery says: Tis a good thing, that was a nasty habit you had!:toast:

thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    thats what ive been saying, the cpu loads gone up a lot in V7, with my quad i can run only 1 uniproc client and the two gpu's or the gpu clients suffer and i cant even run a 2Smp as its then using 50% cpu and the gpus need 50-75 though mostly 50ish% i did try lowering the cpu load to a 2 Smp but i still lost some gpu ppd:ohwell:

More than 25k PPD
  10. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    This is what I hate about forums. All of this info about CPU usage with AMD GPU's has been covered in the past including a large quote that I posted on this topic. As time goes on, that info gets buried and has to be repeated.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    My Intel 2600K @ 4.5GHz handles AMD clients well and they only use up about 15% each. I gave my HD 5770 and 6670 to my dad for folding and they walk all over his stock 965BE, using 50-60% at all times. Since he doesn't crunch, I figured I would get rid of him them on his machine since all he does is browse the internet and use accounting software at the office. I think having an Intel CPU makes a big difference in folding on the AMD GPUs, I guess. Either that or the CPU is that much more powerful, who knows.

As I have mentioned before, I have a GTX 550 Ti and GT 440 folding perfectly on a P4 651 in an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA, and 2 GTX 460s folding on a Sempron 130. NVIDIA GPUs (Fermi cores specifically) are simply amazing folders but I'm stuck using 285.62 or whatever drivers because the new ones don't work right.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    thats a nit harsh isnt it:roll:

More than 25k PPD
  13. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Freudian slip?:laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I've been around the forums long enough to have read about the crappy AMD performance (and the tricks like Flush interval settings, etc).

I had thought that the 'improved' client Stanford had been touting resolved what has always been the two biggest complaints about AMD performance which is why I decided to build this AMD rig. Unfortunately it seems as though only the PPD issue has been addressed, and even the current performance is not up to what AMD users were expecting.

Oh well, the 6850s are already gone and at least one GTX 460 is lined up to replace it :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    There be one problem with that thinking the early settings used by AMD/ATI card users no longer apply because the client no longer uses CAL for doing the calculations that folding requires the new client uses OpenCL

16. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    That is NOT what I'm talking about, although I've wondered if any of those EV's that you are referring to would help.

Here's the post that I'm referring to:http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2255762&postcount=31

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Guy's

I'm heading West this year on a epic(solo) Car-Camping/Mountain Biking trip in the next few months. I would like to personally meet some of you and do lunch or dinner. Looks like I will be running thru the following states:

Southern Alabama
    Southern Mississippi
    Central Louisiana
    Northern Texas(Texbill!)
    Central Oklahoma(get ready msgclb!)
    Central/Northern Colorado
    Mad dash for SoCal(optional)

Let me know if your somewhere along the way. I won't mind driving a couple of hours extra to meet my F@H brothers.

:toast::rockout::respect::pimp:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  18. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:

Ah yup got ya

when I first started using V7 I still had the EV's in place from the previous V6.41 build they were there a week before I remembered about them so I took them out and noticed no difference at all in performance or CPU utilization which is a shame really coz the EV's I had setup used sod all CPU time for a WU on the GPU

19. mx500torid

mx500torid

Thanks Received:
    You coming close to Boise??? Dinners on me and got extra bedrooms.

BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  20. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    Good grief, does that mean I'll have to come out from under my rock. :D
    By the way, I have no beds as I live under a rock. :cry:

21. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    I have a "ton" of points for free nights at Hotels, so beds are not needed. I just want to meet you guy's face to face and dispel the rumor(s) that your not human.:D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  22. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Dr can't afford this, but still doing it, is doing it.... I'll probably get shut down in the summer. Gotta try for 15th......

23. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    I actually picked up a -bigadv WU(P6900) on a i7-870. What gives? Is Pande Group just teasing/taunting me?:laugh:

24. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: I want one too :D teasing or not

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I hope so.;)
    How about some more info such as is it that rig in system specs and what client and ppd.