1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Why?

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know how to erase a workunit in fahcontrol to make the client download another one. The easiest and fastest way of resetting wu is uninstall. With gpu tracker, it was way easier.

It's been almost two days since my gtx 460 are not folding 24/7 because of that shit. I gave up 30 minutes ago: fuck it and go for the principle of any unit is worth it...

End of the positive thinking.

And watch your ppd drop from 16k/gpu to not even 9k while your cards are baking hot (at least for me, they run a good 6-7c more than any other 2387-5757-8057 units, upping the temps from low 80s to around 90).

3. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    "If you are bent on deleting the WU and are using Windows 7, go into "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\work" and delete the folder that corresponds to the offending slot." - found on http://foldingforum.org

Edit: We have to take the good with the bad, and the P762x's are the definition of "bad". Yes, 16 hours (GTX 460) on one WU sucks, but we have to concentrate on the science, not the points.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. F150_Raptor

Thanks Received:
    In the core file after you access the fermi file, I have 2 files. One says beta, and the other says Core_15.fah. In the beta file is 2.22, and the Core_15.fah is the 2.25. The only wu's that I've gotten that have used the 2.25 core has been the 76xx's. Every other wu so far accesses the beta file for the 2.22 core.

5. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Get them while they are hot (8057)

After 4 days of 8018 and what's worse I'm now on my fifth 8057 in a row :)

Get them blue cards running.

BUCK NASTY says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    A good friend of mine started out his college course for web design today. He has disabilities like me. One of my 285s is now in his computer, which I actually built over time for him. He has student version of CS6 suite, and I think the 285 is probably the min for his course. I'll rebuild my folding box over time with proper 4/560s.......

BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I have an 8800GTS G92 in the mail that will be used mostly for folding. I figure with a slight OC I should be able to pull anywhere between 5 and 6k PPD? I should have it up and running by the end of next week.

BUCK NASTY says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll get 6k PPD on a GPU2 with the card clocked @ 725/1940/stock memory. With all those 7770's you got now I'm sure you could bring a 460/470 back to F@H for 100K+ PPD? It would be great to have you back up in the top 10.

[Ion] says thanks.
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'll see what I can do. I tried running FAH on the GTX470s over break--they're just too hot. They did nearly 110C at 75% fan and still nearly 90C at 100% (which is unbearable). I can try later breaking them up and putting one GTX460 and one GTX470 in a rig so they get better airflow.

I will see what I can do with the GTX460s later--they're by far my slowest cards for WCG.

BUCK NASTY says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    The 460's might be your best "bang for the buck" with F@H and leave the stronger cards for WCG.

:toast:

11. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    My thought entirely. I'd like to run everything for a few days and see how high I can get with the new GPUs--but then I'll look into bringing one or both of the GTX460s to FAH again :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of GTX 460s, anyone have one for sale? PM me if you do. Thanks

13. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll start by saying i don't know much, not to say nothing, about WCG gpu crunching. So my opinion is kind of limited.

The gtx 460 is, and will remain until a proper kepler core is released, the royal queen of folding, with 580 as a small king (ppd/w, ppd/$ and power/cooling requirements are considered here).

My personal favorite point is ppd/w. Yes an oced gtx 470/480 can output really solid ppd, but the amount of heat produced when many are installed is just gargantuan. On air, for me it is only doable under specific circonstances, like winter and a room temp of 5-10c...

The effect is really less important on the 580, but here the gtx 460 raises it's second ace: price. Two 460 still cost less than a 580, and two 580 will probably classify in the space heater category, just like the gf100 cards.

My experience tells me only the 460 can do tri- or quad-card folding without some huge custom loop.

In short, bring those back! :toast:

14. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. For several years the GTX460 has been the workhorse of the GPU Folding community and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. I am glad that Pande Group decided to bring over the Earlt Return Bonus to GPU's, as it invigorates the GPU folders again(and increases the value of all Fermi card's:D).

[Ion] says thanks.
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    The GTX470s are great for WCG and FAH--but holy shit. The amount of heat that they throw of is enormous. It wouldn't surprise me if one of my GTX470s used as much electricity as all three HD7770s.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I could fairly say a gtx 470 output almost equal heat to two triple-slot spaced gtx 460. They are SO much more efficient!

I thought it was bad luck after 3 days without any 8057, only to realize i didn't re-entered the client-type thing after installation... :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  17. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    I too have moved away from the beta for a few WU's, as the 7xxx WU's are killin' my cards:cry:. Just got to remember to add the "client-type/beta" setting back into the client.

Today will be a great day for the Team, as we are @ 2.845Million as of the 6PM update. Nice work guys!

:toast:

18. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Forgot to add that i've received the 212+,the case, the ssd, the psu, and 2 out of three 3 ram kits for my big folding box. The three missing gtx 460 2win, mobo and cpu are all on their way to my hands. If timing is good, i'll maybe play with this beast this weekend!

19. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    Bad news?

Just read this morning that Intel is planning to do away with user replaceable CPUs.

Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs

Yesterday, a report emerged claiming that Intel is planning to release its upcoming 14-nanometer Broadwell architecture processors as a ball grid array (BGA) rather than an land grid array (LGA) package.

This would have several widespread implications, including bringing to an end to processor (CPU) upgrades.

Traditionally, the processors in desktop systems are fitted into a socket on the motherboard that allows them to be removed and replaced, while systems such as notebooks and tablets have the CPU soldered onto the motherboard.

At present, Intel uses the LGA package design, which allows the processor to either be fitted into a socket or soldered directly to a motherboard. This gives the OEM down the line options as to how to mount the processor onto the motherboard.

A switch to BGA would mean that the processor could no longer be fitted into socket where it could be removed or replaced, and instead would be soldered to the motherboard much like processors for notebooks and tablets are nowadays.

The rumor that Intel was planning a switch from LGA to BGA has been circulating for months, but earlier this week Japanese tech site PC Watch (translation here) was the first to break the news.

I have now independent confirmation from a PC building OEM, who declined to be named, along with two motherboard makers, that Intel has briefed them of the switch from LGA to BGA for Broadwell architecture processors, which are expected to make an appearance next year.

Separately, tech site SemiAccurate has also received confirmation from two unnamed PC OEMs.

Why the switch?

First and foremost, at least from Intel's point of view, is that this move puts the chip giant in an even more commanding position, allowing it greater control over the motherboard market. More control means more money.

While it doesn't seen that Intel wants to cut existing motherboard makers out of the equation just yet, sources I have spoken to seem to be worried that this could happen in the mid-to-long-term.

The vast array of motherboard choices that both enthusiasts and OEMs currently enjoy could be a thing of the past in a couple of years.

It's a move that could make PC OEMs happy too. Soldering a component to a motherboard is cheaper than soldering a socket and then fitting that processor into the socket. The difference might only be pennies, but spread over millions of PCs, those pennies add up.

As far as the PC OEMs are concerned, killing off the PC upgrade market would be a good thing because it would push people to buy new PCs rather than upgrade their existing hardware. The PC industry is currently stagnant, partly because consumers and enterprise are making existing hardware last longer.

The casualties of this move will be upgraders and PC 'modders', the huge market that exists around them. While not many people bother to upgrade their PCs, instead choosing to buy a new one, the market is large enough to support countless manufacturers and vendors. This move by Intel would be the final nail in the coffin for this industry, taking down a number of players. This, unfortunately, would have a corresponding knock-on effect on jobs.

Intel wins. OEMS win. People wanting cheap PCs win. But there are a lot of losers.

According to SemiAccurate, the successor of the Broadwell architecture, called Skylake, will bring back a socketed CPU, "for a generation, possibly two," but I have not been able to confirm this independently.

It seems that this is the beginning of the end for upgrades, and not just CPU upgrades. Apple is already soldering RAM onto the motherboards of its MacBook Pro systems.

This feels to me like the beginning of the end for the desktop PC. Modularity made the desktop PC, and removing this key feature will break it.

20. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Gary, I've seen this in several places as well. Sad if it becomes reality. I guess we will flock to server hardware...

21. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm actually considering a server....I've found someone on [H] who has offered to sell me two quad-core LGA771 Xeons with heatsinks, a Supermicro board, and some FB DDR2 RAM for $90. Hard to pass up at that price, even though I have no non-DC use for it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Socket 771 performance is horrible for DC work, but for $90 you may be able to find another use... When are you going 4P?

23. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Why so horrible? I figure for WCG it should at least match one of my i7s (if I run Linux on it, as I intend to).

4P is just too expensive--spending $90 on a toy is far more doable than $2000 :p

I can make $90 in profit on one of my dual core sales systems, so it isnt'e xactly a drain on my finances ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    In a few words - there are no 4 core with HT for 771 and the fast one goes for +$400 a pair.

[Ion] says thanks.
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, this would be two Yorkfield Xeon Quads at ~2.5GHz. Not bad IMO--8 cores for $90 is a pretty good deal I think.

Crunching for Team TPU