1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    So you're still running that ancient P4 too? :p

I seem to have fixed the issues with the HD7950 with the higher wattage PSU (550w). No issues since I installed it :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    BUCK NASTY and Maban say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    @ Lightofhonor how on earth did you get the HD7850 to that clock on the core and have it stable enough to fold

4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I kinda want these junk rigs/laptops to die off instead of having to put up with them in storage, and they are too old or in horrible shape to sell, not that they would be worth much anyway.

It seems that construction has accelerated at our new facility (we were supposed to be in there 6 months ago, but Florida contractors suck) so the old machines may go dark in as little as a few weeks from now.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Lightofhonor

Lightofhonor

Thanks Received:
    I dialed it back to 1175/1225 to fold. That is my daily OC now. Seems to work well :rockout:

6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I have a couple of old laptops and the Atom system that are pretty bad crunchers (2.3k PPD between the three)--but they aren't worth anything and I can't bring myself to just recycle them...

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I never stop... I passed 18mil finally! My landlord has determined my apt is too big, and will be ripping out a wall, and sealing another so I only have 2 rooms instead of 3. God I love being on a fixed income with no rights! I think Sept is my deadline. If I stay, I will have my own power breaker panel, and a lot more amps. So I guess that's a bonus.... I'm going to shut down my 260s within a few months. No point. If any one wants to sell cheap 460s ect, I'll put them to work. Still want a 2nd 480 too... hint hint.

BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  8. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I did the same to my 2600K rig (replaced the old Mushkin XP-800AP with my "flagship" PSU, a LEPA G900-MA) and it has yet to lock up. Seems like the newer PSUs (the 3 Rosewills and the LEPA) I own like to run their 12v rails at around 12.2v or so, while the Mushkin was hanging around 11.95v on the multimeter. Either the unintended voltage boost on the rail helped or my Mushkin PSU is shot. I moved it and my other pair of 460s to my dad's home machine, the one with the 1100T and extremely flaky ASUS 890GX board. That should be a fun combo. :p

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Dammit, and now it's locked up again. Maybe the HD7950 is just going bad. Would be a shame after just four months--I suppose I can see how Sapphire's RMA process is if I can't get it working this weekend.

I suppose that putting all of your flaky HW together is one way to do things :p

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Heh, I like the way the top 20 is being filled with millionaires! Also like how I finally broke 18 mil, hope I can hit 20......

11. Lightofhonor

Lightofhonor

Thanks Received:
    Now that Buck can bring his folding rigs back from crunching, time to turn off the 24/7 GPU folding and go back to something more normal lol. It's 60 degrees outside and I'm sweating in my basement. But, as always, the folding never stops....

NastyHabits says thanks.
  12. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Just giving you guys a heads up....

It appears as if my main rig may have went boom and I may be selling off the GTX 580's to help pay for replacement parts (may need a 990FX mobo, FX-8350, and some ram)

I can supply a Corsair AX1200 with the cards if you need proper power for them

Will only sell if I need to and only to a folder on our Team- I'll keep you guys posted.

In the meantime, please drop me a PM if interested

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Ooh, that really sucks. Do you know what happened? Is anything RMA-able?

Really tempting to buy them to stick in the Xeon DP setup....

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Did a ram swap on the rig and will see if that does the trick (WCG crunching seems to be awfully rough on the ram I've used- could be just my systems though :confused:)

I've been wanting to get the ASUS mobo out of my rig since hearing of all of the CS and quality issues from them lately so I may move forward with an upgrade anyway and drop the 990X Evo into another rig that is less vital than my main one.

I can give you the 580's/AX1200 for a fair price.... not a bad setup for 80-100k ppd F@H output ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Hey msgclb, are you okay? Tornado's and all.

BUCK NASTY says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, for what it's worth, I've had nothing but success with the ASUS boards I have ATM. P9X79 Pro, Maximus IV GENE, Maximus III GENE, P5B Deluxe, P5K PRO....

I'll drop you a PM at some point---come August I may have to take you up ;)

Even better would be if I could re-use the existing PSU I have---I suspect that the TX750 would be up to the task...

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Norton

Thanks Received:
    We can discuss it when you're ready if I still have them

The ram swap seems to be helping atm so I may be ok (knocks woods)

These cards should draw somewhere between 500-700 Watts AFAIK and recommended psu for a single card is 600w*
    *Translation- I wouldn't recommend trying a 750w psu for these cards

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    Mercifully I live about 10 miles north of the path that tornado took.
    All the local network stations go continuously with weather whenever severe storms approach and at least two of them have helicopters.

That afternoon a severe storm warning scrolled across my TV screen so I started channel checking and one of the stations had their helicopter right in front of this huge wall cloud as it was moving east well over 20 miles from Moore.
    These TV stations doppler radar can sometimes see tornadoes before they are spotted visually and in this case the guy in station told the pilot there's a tornado forming but he couldn't see it until he moved his camera to the right and out of that cloud came this huge tornado.
    As they tracked it east they were telling everybody in it's path to either go to a storm shelter or leave as no structure would survive its destruction.
    That pilot tracked that tornado as it destroyed everything in its path including the home of that pilot.
    Not long after it passed Moore that tornado roped out and the pilot started filming what was destroyed and it didn't take long to realize there would be many deaths.

Thanks Buck.

Athlonite, theonedub, roast and 6 others say thanks.
  19. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Buck Nasty, is everything alright there? I noticed your farm has been silent the past few days :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I have been on vacation for the last week and will be returning in about a week. It's unbearably hot in Florida, so I may run the farm intermittently until cooler weather arrives. Keep folding boys!

:toast::toast:

[Ion] and laptop-hpc say thanks.
  21. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Given what it's like here I can only imagine the suffering there.

Enjoy the remainder of your vacation! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    Ya know If I lived in an area that's prone to such horrific events of nature I'd either move away or build underground ( it should be a state law, want to build a house here that's fine just understand that it will need an underground shelter aswell.... No shelter No house end of)

I know alot of people are saying it's really expensive to dig down as the ground is so hard an all but isn't your life worth more than a wee bit of money and a few objects...

I feel bad for those families who lost people in that tornado

23. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I have a several month's long project in the works, and offers over that time will really help. I'm desperate for a used 670/680 to send my 480 to the farm... folding that is. Then I need to replace my aging 2xx cards with fermi or better cards so can I start actually pumping out some ppd!
    Will be getting upgraded electrical by the fall, so I'll be able to run this stuff.

24. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else getting giant gpu jobs on their rigs?

The GTX 580's sent in 4 jobs yesterday... two for around 7k each, which is what I'm used to seeing, and two for over 20k each!!! :eek:

Looks like I finished two more of the same last night as well. Please share if you have any info on these, I don't have regular access to the rig where it is atm :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Woah. If you had access to the rig we could look up the project number and figure out something--but that's impressive! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU