1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the way i'm going i'll be #13 within a day or two.

I aim to reach the top 10, then my efforts may diminish.
  2. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I checked my work folders this morning, unsent wu's for every client.
    The smp clients were simple, I shut them down and started them with -send all as the only flag. All smp unsent wu's were sent so I started the client again in the normal fashion, folding continues...
    the gpu clients still have 5 wu's between them so I'll look into it some more. From what I've read, it's prolly a waiting game ... if I find out different I'll post.

there is also a program called qfix that is supposed to submit wu's that failed for possible partial credit. From what I read, it repairs the queue to keep the failed wu listed for submission. This doesn't guarantee any credit, but it may be worth a try if you have failed wu's still kicking around.

edit: qfix is supposed to function with all three major os's
    qfix discussion at Fah forum
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  4. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    NVM its for SMP :p

damn you Kursah :toast:

ive lost alot of points cuz of the net droping all the time hope they fixed it today seems to working good but for how long :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Have to share, OC'd my GTX 260 last night, that thing went pretty damn far...got 12k in Vantage OC'd and 9.4k stock, pretty healthy...well I was averaging anywhere from 4.6k to 5.5k PPD in the last few days....just depended on WU, seems today my average is around almost 7K ppd...I can live with that. It's good stuff to see more and more people donating to TPU folding too. I think in the future with newer GPU clients and NV drivers that PPD will increase for everyone, which would be cool to get more out of what we have now to help fold...it's already improved in the last year performance wise, looking forward to this trend continuing!

:toast:

Attached Files:

6. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    One more day until the 8800GS arrives!!!!!:toast:.12k PPD is 2 days away:rockout: Sunday was not kind to me with issues with my OS install and the GPU2 servers not recieving results. I will try the best GPU2/SMP combinations on my Phenom board & Intel board to see what yields the most PPD.:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    k lol ... I've been up since 4am yesterday, it's 3:20 pm now and I still can't get fahmon to monitor my VIRTUAL SMP running with VMware and xp on my am2.

Getting the vmware and ubuntu running was simple, the smp client wasn't much harder. Getting vista to access the virtual ubuntu files on xp has been a pain in the ass. I've tried several methods (guide whoring on the web lol); atm I can see the folders in ubuntu but I can't log in. It has to be one of two things, vista needs a reboot or I forgot to install the windows user authentication app in ubuntu. I can access the xp files no prob. Played with samba first cause I've accessed ubuntu fah from my vista rig already(diff install); must been using bad syntax again :(. Installed windows share but that didn't do much either. I even tried running a script in perl to mirror the files to a mount in xp so I can share them with vista but I couldn't get ubuntu visable so I went back to windos share ... now I can see but I can't touch :twitch:. I will get this figured out, I prolly missed something silly... Yes I'm a linux noob :laugh:
    The reason I've put so much time into this is cause my virtual smp client running on the am2 (maxed out at 666 ppd, ~ 42 min per 1% with xp lol) is now pushing 'bout 6 min per 1%. I really wanna see what it's doing :)

Gonna start from scratch, do things a little different...
  8. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, set it up again but still no monitoring, this time I tried to access the shares through ie... I'll figure it out :)
    I think I know why it's cruising throut the wu's, it's running the amber core...

EDIOT:) k this was actually pretty easy when I found the correct procedures... It's up and running, waiting for a few frames to complete... So far my 8600gt (same pc) is up 150-250 ppd with the virtual ubuntu running. This is kinda funny cause that system only has 1G or ram and xp and ubuntu are sharing it lol. If I manage to run two os's with 1 gig of ram and increase my ppd average, I'll be impressed.

this is what I did:
    downloaded and installed VMware Server 1.06
    followed Solaris's guide for ubuntu for the os install
    used finstall for Fah install with auto configured samba shares :rockout:
    it took some playing around to get it right but it's done, I hope it was worth it...
    I'm gonna have to get some sleep sooner or later, I'll put a post together with the info and results for anyone who is interested; after some shut-eye :toast:
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Look what I just got:
    [​IMG]
    :)
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    nice dude i cant wait to get mine need a new case though damnit :shadedshu
  11. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    ...not so success full... got an eue and no eta or ppd estimate this morning. ..... this setup is taxing the pc a fair bit more and has reveals an unstability so time to slow down the oc....

sweet Newtekkie, those should be fun :)

edit: k I know why it's unstable, bios update removed some voltage adjustments so I can't control the chipset or cpu voltage:banghead:

time for an older bios i think.

has anyone here tried a virtual folding setup yet? The time for each step seems to be on par with what I was getting with a regular install of ubuntu
  12. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    really? no i havent but i should that would be sick.
  13. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah it is sick lol. on my am2 i have xp running the gpu2 client and a virtual ubuntu smp client running under vmware. It's showing progress @ ~ 20 min per step on core a2. Still can't get eta or ppd in fahmon though.
    I'm not gonna put a post together till I'm sure it's working... it should be doing better than 666 ppd day :)

Xubuntu is the stripped down version and it's supposed to produce higher ppd's

I might just have to break down and put fahmon in ubuntu.

this is what fahmon in vista sees:
    [​IMG]

the 8600gt is reading a little low, forgot to adjust the priority when i started it and vmware runs a normal priority so... I had to increase the gpu client priority to above normal to get it running proper
    btw, this configuration on this hardware makes the pc unusable for anything else (so far it's taxing it pretty well) I'm not sure how well ubuntu will run if I lower the vmware priority, I'll play with that another day :)
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  14. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    dude thats awsome
    Skitzo says thanks.
  15. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    :D updated :rockout:

[​IMG]

I lowered my oc, turned off everything I could in the bios and lowered the ram avail to ubuntu to 360mb, it's working so far :toast:

best I had with regular ubuntu install was ~ 1050 ppd .... yeah baby, I managed to squeeze a pony under that saddle :rockout:

I've doubled what xp smp was doing :)
    :laugh: you guys keep spending money, I'll find other ways to get higher ppd ;)
  16. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    your inginuity is amazing skitzo
    Skitzo says thanks.
  17. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice one mate!! :eek:
    Skitzo says thanks.
  18. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, most peeps figure I just don't know when to stop mess'n with shit ... :D I don't :rockout:
    Sometimes I get great results, others are not so great. The way I see it, with the vmware i can mess ubuntu up bad but xp will be fine :)
    With other stuff, if I screw it up, odds are there will be some spare parts around for something else lol.

if it runs okay for a couple of days, I'll put together a post for those who want to try it, pretty sure I've given enough info for some to figure it out :toast:

@ Infared, thanks, it's been a learning experience

now I wonder how it will do on my c2d with vista x64 :D
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  19. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Solaris, I have another idea for the am2 setup :D
    If I can get the onboard video running along side the 8600, use the onboard as primary with the desktop extended to the 8600 so it can fold without the primary monitor duties.
    onboard is 7050 (m2n-vm dvi) and I looked, it's also supported under the 177.-- drivers I run for the 8600.
    I've never tried to use onboard at the same time but it's worth a try I think.

EDIT: k I just had a thought... when you run dual monitors the secondary is run from the dac right.(think that's what it is called) so does fah make use of this or is the gpu handling both at the same time. That doesn't make alot of sense but with my noob vocab I'm a little limited.

with ubuntu limited to 360mb, xp shows ~ 220mb free; I might be able to squeeze some shared mem for the onboard out of that

only 39 off 10k ppd :rockout:
    [​IMG]
  20. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    it seems to be doing well. The gpu client is giving me some grief, but it has been doing so for a week so it shouldn't be related.

virtual SMP client is pushing ~1500 ppd :rockout:
    that's a little better than the 666 ppd day from the smp in xp...
    edit: and I lowered the oc by ~200 Mhz
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  21. servermonkey

servermonkey New Member

Thanks Received:

Thanks Received:
    welcome to the folding factory servermonkey:)

Kursah, I plan to atleast try and be some competition for ya, I think newtekkie is gonna squash us all ... :cool:
    edit: I looked at your last screenie, if you get all those clients running you are gonna squash me lol

Wolf, you still with us?
  23. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, well I'm just running the GPU clients for now...giving the CPU clients a rest...I still average around 10.5k PPD FAHMon est with the 9600GT and GTX260...it seems the WU's have fluxuating scores...right now it says my 260 is down to 4.8k PPD even though the time per percent has not changed from approx. 1minute flat,...the 9600GT is at about 4.3k PPD at about 1 minute and 40 seconds. Even though my time base doesn't vary much at all, my PPD can go from just over 7K down to 4K lol on the 260 lol! The 9600GT fluxuates between about 3.7k and 4.4k, but is usually right around 4-4.2K.

I may fire up the CPU clients again, but it gets so hot in the PC room and w/o AC...drives me nuts...I do have a couple of box fans in there now though, much more tolerable.

:toast:
  24. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    could someone please tell me how the P4 i had folding got about 380ppd @3.1ghz and 430ppd @3.3ghz BUT my AMD Athlon x2 5kBE @3ghz ONLY GETS 135ppd :wtf:
    so could someone please tell me how that happens?
  25. servermonkey

servermonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    ty