1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

*TPU's Gaming Headphone/Headset Thread*

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Kursah, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I accidentally sent my RE-0s through the washing machine yesterday. I hung them in front of the wood stove all night, and thankfully they still sound great this morning. If anything, the mids and highs sound cleaner:p
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so i've looked up head-fi earphones again.

RE-252 have a lot lower impedance, how do they stack to the RE0's and 1's?
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I'm poor, and just got a set of Sennheiser PC330s on sale. Did I just waste my money?
  4. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I'll do a full review vs my Razer Carchiaras when I get them.
  5. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Get the RE262s (I think they are discounted now) they are RE0s musical cusin, same midrange but even smoother treble and better bass.
    MT Alex says thanks.
  6. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Since my local Sennheiser dealer had no PX 200II in stock and Christmas is approaching fast I went with the PX 100 - II. For people who don't like in-ear and who don't mind open headphones these cans are fantastic value. Great design, quality finishing, comfortable, balanced sound. For the equivalent of $45 (that's the price here) I would highly recommend to anybody interested in some decent cans for mobile devices.
  7. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    I have a pair of those, and they are GREAT, but I somehow managed to break one of the wires. Sigh. :(
  8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    The PX 100 - II has only one wire, it's the updated version of the PX 100 (which you probably have) and judging by most of the reviews they are better than the original.
  9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Ug, on ear headphones.. do not like. I can't wait to try out my PC300s....
  10. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    Zalm ZM-RS6F

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=681

I bought these Zalman 5.1 headphones a while back and eventually bought a pair for my brother. I had been eyeing them for a long time, all the way back to my Pentium 4 3.2Ghz | X850 XT personal rig days. I never really had the room setup to fully utilize my 7.1 speaker set. And when I did, sometimes there were situations where I didn't want to disturb others, so headphones were a better solution. I didn't want to go over $100 and I wanted something with a true surround field, not a 3d sound field stretched over 2 speakers.

Pros:
    - Light. They weigh very little and certainly wouldn't cause any strain after long use.
    - Cheap. They can be had for $50 on Amazon.
    - True Surround Field. There's 6 speakers in there, 2 fronts, 2 rears, and 2 centers. (Sadly, the center channel is mono, so there isn't anyway you can use them in a pseudo 7.1 configuration)
    - Good spatial separation. It isn't perfect, but it'll give you that edge in FPS games. It does take some getting used to.

Cons:
    - Not the most comfortable headphones in the world. The headband is padded, but not very much. What I suspect would be the biggest potential issue is the earpads themselves. They are on-ear as opposed to arround/over-ear. Given their size and the orientation of the headband, during really long sessions, they tend to need a little adjusting.
    - Spatial separation, while good, still isn't what you get with speaker setup.

If you're looking for a nice pair of surround headphones that'll add that extra depth to your games and give you an advantage in FPS titles, but don't want to break the bank, I'd strongly recommend you give these some consideration.
  11. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    I'm really considering getting rid of my G930s. I love them in most ways but I cannot stand the damn problems with the software, and I hardly use the 7.1 feature as I don't feel it really helps me out. They sound good but all the damn time I have to change settings within the sound control panel to get them to sound correct and it just kills it.
  12. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    I had a pair of $50 Zalman 5.1's and they were super-duper-horrible. They look exactly the same, down to the packaging, too. Compared to good stereo phones on a decent sound card, you don't come close to the same directionality OR sound quality. I use to be doubtful of emulated 3D sound, but really, it's the best way to go.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Standard 7.1 setups include 2xfront, 2xside, and 2xrear 1x front, 1x subwoofer, where all speakers are mono. I am confused how you say it has 2 front (5.1 usually lacks the 2xside).

Is the Zalman set up differently than most?
  14. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    Well, Yeah, I think that's why Zalman refers to it as "virtual 5.1". Obviously, a 5.1 speaker setup does contain 6 speakers, 4 being the fronts and rears, 1 center, and 1 sub. The Zalman headphones pipe the fronts to the 2 speakers towards the front of the users head, the rears to the 2 towards the back, and then sends the center channel to the 2 in the middle (as opposed to a single, front-center speaker in a traditional 5.1 setup). As far as I've been able to tell, the sub channel is completely unused.

Bearing this speaker (driver) configuration in mind, I once attempted to set them up in a pseudo 7.1 setup. Essentially, instead of plugging the "Center" channel into the Center Port, I plugged it into the "Side" port and disabled (unchecked) the center and subwoofer speakers. Unfortunately, the connector itself for the headphone's Center channel isn't a stereo connector. It works to a degree in the sense that sounds occurring on your sides are audible, but it's actually putting the same channel over both speakers. I'm realizing now that the effect isn't really easy to describe without muddling things up quite a bit.
  15. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    Is there a Review for the Astro A50 Headset you guys could point me to? I'd like to know whether they're only good with Consoles or with PCs as well.
  16. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys and gals!

Just wondering if anyone can point me to a few wireless headsets for PC. I'm unsure of what to go for in honesty and I'm not wanting to waste my money either.

So I was hoping someone here could point me to a few good/decent wireless headsets that I can use for gaming on the PC.

I'm hoping for around 5.1 sound, a good mic + boost and good sound. The whole purpose is to do away with the wires as I'm currently using a Turtle Beach headset which I bought for the Xbox 360, though I'm getting rather agitated using this headset on the PC as the wires are irritating me. :/

I've looked at the Logitech G930, but as I said I don't really know what to go for in the wireless headsets... If I go on the computer I normally am on for a few hours so uptime on the usage would be good to have!

If there is any more information needed then let me know please and I will try to supply it! :)

--Lee
  17. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    When I tried out the A40's which are essentially the same imo anyways, it has way too much bass. Clean sound yes but the only thing worth buying on the astro website is the mixamp it helps with the more expensive headphones anyways. Hope I helped and thats just my experience from it there are reviews out there that will tell you otherwise but you need to some how try them for yourself before you buy.
  18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

My on the go headphones (Fischer audio Fa 006 Jubilate in Padauk)

[​IMG]

My at home headphones (Fischer audio Fa 002w HE in Bog Oak)
    Frederik S says thanks.
  19. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
  20. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Or you could have gotten something twice as good for that money. Who has 2 pairs of ears? :rolleyes:
  21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I'd love to have some beyerdynamic dt770pro 80ohm but I have trouble having enough money to get em. Every time I almost have enough something happens
  22. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    you mad? for that price there are very few earbuds that sound better. also, it is always good to have a backup set in case they get lost or broken. :nutkick: :rockout: :pimp: :nutkick: :slap:
  23. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So little faith in your ability to keep your things in good condition :roll:

No I am not mad, I am happy with my TF10 :p
  24. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    cool. what does that have to do with me letting people know of a great bargain on some decent earbuds? please direct your negativity elsewhere.
  25. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

They're good, especially when you consider the price (and white makes it look even better lol)