1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's GTX460 Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by puma99dk|, Aug 20, 2010.

1. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Im going to test my 460EE out later on tonight, Ill put it through some Heaven and 3DMark11 runs and see what the temps look like (with a stock fan profile :D)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    IDK

My ambient is 20°C and OCScanner, which I believe is a version of furmark, loads the cards up to the 65°C range.

And that is in a generic case with less than ideal airflow.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I didnt try any OCCT or Furmark, but at stock clocks and fan profile my card hit a max temp of 69C while running 3Dmark11 and Heaven. With 55% constant speed temps were in the low 60s.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    How do I join? I have six GTX 460 768mb cards.:eek:
  5. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    post info like the others did and i will fill u in ^^;
  6. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sign me up brooo!! :D STOCK COOLER
    voltage = 1.1v
    min temps= 30-40'c (idle) max= 60-80'c (load)

[​IMG]
    puma99dk| says thanks.
  7. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I am certain the coolers are defective.

When I first purchased two of these last August, I could run anything and they never exceeded 70°, even under the heaviest load.

Maybe two-and-a-half months later, in November, one of the cards began to get hot.

I RMA'ed that card, and the replacement seemed alright, although it would not overclock at all.

Within a couple weeks the other original card began to overheat, and after a month or so, the RMA card did the same.

Now, I cannot overclock the cards more than 20MHz without failure, therefore I run them at stock speeds.

As I said, I have mentioned this on the eVGA forums, and initially got a response saying, more or less, there is nothing wrong with the EE cards.

I persisted, but my comments appear to have been simply ignored by eVGA.

At this point, all I want is an admission (publicly) from eVGA that the cards have cooling problems, although I realize that is never, ever going to happen.
  8. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    added, but is it normal Vanilla version or the EE version? ^^;
    Funtoss says thanks.
  9. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that sounds like eVGA. I'm surprised they didn't ban your forum user account when you brought up the issue.

When I complained about their USB issues on the P55 boards, and how their BIOS caused the problem(USB worked perfectly with an earlier BIOS and didn't with a later BIOS), there were several people in the thread that agreed with me and had the same issues. I was PM'd by a mod and told to never post in the thread again and never talk about the USB issues anywhere on the forums again, or I would be banned...:mad:

I don't think a few isolated issues is enough to warrant them admitting there is a problem, obviously my cards work just fine and have since I bought them last September, and there are probably way more cards that function fine than one like yours that have some kind of issue. The design of the cooler at least is sound, it is just a scaled down GTX470 cooler, with 3 heatpipes instead of 4, but it is a HDT style cooler. The biggest issue I have with it is that it doesn't really cool the VRM. If anything that is the major failure point I see.(So much so that eVGA released a VRM heatsink for the cards.) However, it is possible that the heatpipes in your cooler failed for some reason and that caused the issue you are having. The heatpipes did seem a little bit "iffy" on quality when I took the cooler apart, so I can see that happening.
  10. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I was also surprised they did not try to bully me.

Yes, that sounds like their moderators. I believe that if you are willing to kiss the moderators behinds, you can do or say pretty much anything, but if you disagree with them, they look for any excuse to reprimand you.

True, I have only seen a dozen or so people posting about the issue.

Yes, but if there are, as you say, an insignificant number of 'bad' cards, I would believe eVGA would want to make it right (i.e. replace with new, not recertified, cards, or even upgrade to a newer card) for that very small number of customers.

If you say so, I really do not know one way or the other.

I read somewhere the VRM heatsinks did little-to-nothing to help the cards. Of course, I would take that with a grain of salt, but, eVGA did stop selling the heatsinks after a short period...

How would I determine if the heatpipes have failed?

I would like to mention that when I was trying whatever people were suggesting, in order to resolve the overheating issue, I took the heatsink off the card and cleaned the fins under running water. I noticed that using hot water to clean the fins did not make the base of the heatsink get hot, but only warm.

I had previously used the running hot water method before on my TRUE-120, and the heatsink base got very hot, very quickly.
  11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    They can't really replace the cards with new cards if they aren't manufacturing them anymore. In fact, I doubt they are even producing the coolers anymore. Replacing with recertified parts is making it right, you didn't send in a new card, so why should they send you a new on in its place?

The VRM area gets wicket hot on these cards, especially when you overvolt. The normal GTX460 isn't too bad because the reference cooler blows cool air down over the VRM area. However, the EE cooler doesn't have nearly the airflow over the VRM area, so they really benefit from a mosfet heatsink.

EVGA does that all the time, they only put things up in the accessories area as long as they have stock, and usually it is a rather limitted stock at that for specific things. It is kind of annoying if you are looking to buy something that was just there a week ago, and now it is gone.

Basically, take the shroud off and run the cards. If the heatpipes are hotter than the fins around them, then they are working, if the fins are hotter than the heatpipes, then the heatpipes have failed. You should do this with a IR temp reader, not just by touching them. The reason for this is that our sense of hot and cold by feel can be thrown off by the material we are touching.

Mind you, only one of the three heatpipes needs to fail for cooling performance to hit absolute shit levels, and if it is the center one directly over the core that fails the heatsink will probably loose a good 50% of its cooling capability.
  12. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    As I mentioned, I received a recertified card via RMA that lasted a little more than month before the overheating issue appeared.

As to new cards, they are still selling them.

True, I did not send in a new card, but rather a card (with a lifetime warranty) that developed a rather serious problem after less than three months.

That sounds to me as if the card should have been supplied with a VRM heatsink from the start, would you not agree? Poor engineering, in my opinion.

Again, eVGA is gaining no points with me for that policy, either, especially if there is a known problem with the VRMs not receiving adequate cooling. I believe eVGA should man up and send all registered EE users a free heatsink.

I may give that a go, although I may not have room without removing the motherboard from the chassis, in which case, I believe I will take a pass, because I am not going to redo my watercooling outside the chassis just for that test.

Understood.

The heatpipes use alcohol for heat transfer fluid, correct?

If a heatpipe solder joint cracked, all the alcohol would evaporate rather quickly, I imagine.
  13. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    A recertified card isn't really going to change your problem. The cooler they put on was likely new anyway.

Yes, I would agree, but for minor overclocks with minor overvolts not having a VRM heatsink would be fine.

The VRMs only become an issue with overvolting and overclocking, which is why they put it on the FTW cards by default. I definitely don't like offering an accessory for a while than not.

I don't think they need to give a free heatsink to every EE user, that is a value added feature of the FTW cards that allows them to safely overclock further. If users want to push their cards they can buy a heatsink themselves, enzotech heatsinks are only $12.

Now I think offering it at a severly reduce price would have been a nice gesture on their part. I've definitely not been happy with eVGA in the past year or so, they have been slipping in the quality and service department. It seems they are more focussed on the "OMG look at how awesome our top end $700+ motherboard and graphics cards are" and less on taking care of the mid-range customers. It started to definitely show when they stopped offering lifetime warranties on all but their products that cost $400+, and started charging for 10 year warranties, and only giving you a 1 year warranty on any product(including products that are supposed to have lifetime warranties) if you don't register the product within 30 days of buying it...

You should be able to do it if you take out the bottom card and any other cards below the top GPU.

Heatpipes use different fluids, but yes all of them tend to evaporate very quickly when the heatpipe is compromised.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  14. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    @newtekie1,

I suppose the point I am trying to make is; even if could prove the cooler(s) is/are defective, all eVGa will do is replace the cards with, in my opinion and as I have already witnessed, another card with the same (potentially defective) type of cooler, thereby initiating an possibly endless RMA cycle, which quite frankly would be expensive as well as time-consuming. Either of which is completely unacceptable.

And no, before anyone mentions it, I am not going to give eVGA my CC number in order to get an advanced RMA.

Now, if eVGA owns up to the fact they have provided me with three cards with defective coolers, and give me no-charge advance RMA, and a public apology for more-or-less calling me a liar, I might consider it. Otherwise, eVGA can go pound sand.
  15. Calle2003 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought you were going to leave the club? But nice that you're still active here. ;)
  16. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its this one and Thank you very very much =)

[​IMG]
  17. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    No high oc's for me. Three i7's and five GTX 460's in one room will put a stop to that quickly.:laugh:

Attached Files:

• 20.JPG
      20.JPG
      File size:
      66 KB
      Views:
  18. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    a little since it looks like no one wanna take over :laugh:
  19. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love you puma99dk|!!!! :D
    puma99dk| says thanks.
  20. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    hertz9753 u r added too ^^

haha Funtoss only my wife says that :laugh:
    hertz9753 says thanks.
  21. Calle2003 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You have a wife? :eek: I am 10 years older than you and I "only have a girlfriend".
  22. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    haha, yeah i am famous enough on google, but private life is my wife :p
  23. xxdozer32

xxdozer32 New Member

Thanks Received:
    w000t proud owner of an asus 460
  24. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    what model and gpu-z info than it's like 3sec work to put u in :rolleyes: