1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by stinger608, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Mr.Scott

Mr.Scott

Thanks Received:
    Nice price too. ;)
    Mine tops out around 280 FSB.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well for a DFI yep ... for a nForce2 Ultra board : nope, i can get a Asus model for 19.90chf direct buy and 9chf for express delivery (yet i wait on the end since the board is at 1.10chf atm on auction)

3. debs3759

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I've put that in my watch list for now. not sure yet if I can afford it as I'm talking with someone about a Lian-Li PC71 case and 1800 rad. If he can get it wrapped and shipped cheap enough next week's spare income is going on that :)

I just got a good deal on a Chieftec Dragon case as well. Gotta watch I don't spend too much before i pay some bills now :)

stinger608 says thanks.
  4. Backfire

Backfire

Thanks Received:
    Compared with the DFI, the Asus is crap! The DFI is worth 50 times more than the Asus!

You can get a Lian Li and a rad whenever you want, the DFI is rare, VERY RARE!

Just a pic >

Cuplex Pro 1200 01.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    xvi and stinger608 say thanks.
  5. debs3759

Thanks Received:
    I can't buy anything until my disability check comes next week. Pretty sure I can afford both now I've checked my finances - just hope none of the other watchers jumps on it before then :)

GreiverBlade and stinger608 say thanks.
  6. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i would... if the total price in CHF was under 62.50 :D as long as it has custom taxes i am reluctant to hit the button :roll:

stinger608 says thanks.
  7. Compgeke

Compgeke

Thanks Received:
    Got this today.

[​IMG]

8. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:

GreiverBlade says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    adorable yet ... shameful :D oh well ... quite predictable tho :roll:

that's why i love being a nostalgeek :)

got it... now just have to wait till next week :D

ok not a DFI but ... still i have no right to complain i've won it for 10.10chf inclusive shipping nyahahahah
    [​IMG]

ThE_MaD_ShOt and stinger608 say thanks.
  10. debs3759

Thanks Received:
    The seller agreed to me buying today and paying on Monday night (the listing says to pay within 2 days, and with 7 watchers I didn't want to lose it!) Thanks Backfire for showing me the link :)

[​IMG]

Of course, I now need to find a socket A water block so I can play properly with it (and some cheap socket A processors!)

Edit, just realised for socket A I will have to use thermal tape (something I recently bought) to attach a generic water block. Should save me a few quid :)

11. Backfire

Backfire

Thanks Received:
    hehe :respect:

12. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Those cables were so pro back in those days :D

13. Backfire

Backfire

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't take tape. There are many socket A waterblocks with special socket A mounting clamps. For example the Aqua Computer "Cuplex" or the old Watercool "Heatkiller". You can get both pretty cheap at ebay.

Cuplex Nasen-Halterung 1024.jpg Heatkiller Sockel A + Northbridge 1024.jpg

If you cannot find anything and as I feel a little responsible for the system which will be built with the board, I could lend you the heatkiller & the northbridge-block for as long as it takes till you have your own equipment. Shipping costs would be 8.90Euro/ 7.07pound sterling. I could put a Eheim 1046 and maybe a 120mm rad in parcel, too.
    As processors are the mobile Bartons (FQQ4C) 2500+, 2600+ or certain Thoroughbred B's, the 1700+ and as my favourite the 2700+ worth a try.

XP-M 260+ FQQ4C IQYHA.jpg XP 1700+ Tbred- B, ca. 2,5GHz.jpg AXDA 2700 DKV3D AIUHB 0247 2,6GHz 1200b.jpg Stresstest 13x 200MHz = 2600MHz.jpg

GreiverBlade, stinger608 and debs3759 say thanks.
  14. debs3759

Thanks Received:
    You don't need to feel responsible. I'm trying to build a collection of high end hardware and will always appreciate being shown listings I might miss. My primary intention is to be able to test all my graphics cards on the most powerful systems the work I can build for them, but alongside that I will eventually also bee doing loads of benchmarking on older hardware, just because :)

It'll be a while before I am set up for doing any testing/benchmarking, but I will keep your offer in mind if I don't find suitable blocks when I can afford them. Thanks :)

I have quite a pile of watercooling kit from past projects, modern blocks, pumps, reservoirs, etc. I also have a water chiller that I have used instead of radiators (although I will be buying radiators so I can keep a few test systems running together at times).

15. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    ok gotcha! Asus Striker Extreme+ a C2D 3.0ghz (i suspect a E8400/8500 but the 8500 is 3.16) random passive gpu and PCI soundcard and a OCZ HS ... :D 58chf shipping include
    now i need to watch over 2 other auction, 1 Scythe Katana Cu (462 compatible) and a Enermax Coolergiant EG485AX-VHB(w) 480w PSU
    asus-striker-extreme-mit-cpu-und-gk.jpg
    that will be a good next week !

debs3759 and stinger608 say thanks.
  16. MaxiPro800

MaxiPro800

Thanks Received:
    Got myself a Northwood 1.8A!

A pic of CPU-Z,my P4P800-VM is now a OVERCLOCKER!(of course through BIOS and not through Windows):cool::)

8c2fe0.png

and new wallpaper inside RAR file I'll use since I'm upgrading to 7 for the 1000th time!:laugh:
    Password for RAR file : windows7ultimate

Attached Files:

debs3759, GreiverBlade and stinger608 say thanks.
  17. Backfire

Backfire

Thanks Received:
    Nasdrovje Wom!

Peltier Booster 02 800.jpg

Since the Version with the 4 Cuplex waterblocks somehow didn't perform as I thought (the flow of the pump was reduced by ca. 50% and I couldn't make out any mistake), I'm proceeding step by step, pelt by pelt ;). The pump ist the same, the Phobya DC12-400, as radiators I put two Magicool 360 slim in the circuit.
    With 2 TEC-12715 @ 12V the flow is fine (nearly 100%), the temp of the copper-plate goes down to 0°C, but the condensed water does not freeze. The temp of the cooling water is around 35°C.
    With 3 pelts the flow is as good as with 2. The temps weren't measured yet, maybe I'll test that later.
    To get practical results I have to do some other things first. The "hot" side and the complete outside have to be heat-insulated, and very important, the complete "cold" side, is still missing. I'll have to solder a little heat-exchanger for the system-water. I'm still thinking about how I could realize this part (how can I build it, that it becomes most effective).
    I also have to organize a transformator to give the pelts the full 15.6V they need.
    I'm curious where this whole story will end ;).

xvi, GreiverBlade, stinger608 and 2 others say thanks.
  18. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    All this Dfi and Asus socket a talk, I personaly believe the Abit NF7-S rev2 was the greatest socket A Nforce board on the planet. But that is just my opinion.

stinger608 and GreiverBlade say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. debs3759

Thanks Received:
    I'm happy to know I bought one of the best, even if there are a couple of boards that compete well with it.

Can't dispute the idea that Asus always made some of the best boards. When I build a new, high-end system I always look to their ROG brand.

20. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I never had a Dfi board but did have several A7n8x's. I liked them just not as much as the Abit. I just loved the sound from the abit board. The true soundstorm solution. It rivaled the best soundcards of the day. And is the reason I stopped using add in soundcards from that point on. It also overclocked like a beast. Also backfire is right, the mobile barton chips are what to look for in processors. I had several 2500+ mobile cpus and all clocked great. Stinger has one of my Nf7-s/ 2500+ mobile setups. I sold one elsewhere and still have the original one. I actually tjough I sold it also but found it one day digging through my boxes of old stuff. It is safely installed back in its original chieftech dragon case I bought when I bought the board way back when. May pick up a 9700 pro and put the rig back the way I ran it for all those years. Right now it has a hd2400 pro in it.

stinger608 and debs3759 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Backfire

Backfire

Thanks Received:
    The NF7-S Rev.2.0 is the second best socket A motherboard ever built. My opinion ;).

I'm really a fan of the NF7-S. I've had one back in 2003, and the Abit was the first board I thought of when I deceided to build a nostalgic-system. As it was the board in my main-system I was pretty lucky with that setup (NF7-S, XP-M 2600+, Radeon X800, Zalman CNPS7000 CU) and I kept it until socket AM2 came out. But in 2012 (or late 2011) the board & I still had some unfinished buisness.
    I always wanted to reach 2,6GHz on the socket A, but bad luck with the CPU's and a lack in experience stopped me. I always ended up at about 2560MHz.

So I had a goal: Nostalgic socket A- system, Athlon XP-M CPU, for better chances at overclocking, my first water-cooling.

The result:

TPU 800 01.jpg

TPU 800 02.jpg

tpu 800 03.jpg

stinger608 says thanks.
  22. Mr.Scott

Mr.Scott

Thanks Received:
    The DFI Infinity Ultra is exactly the same as the LanParty Ultra B, without the bling. That would make the NF7 the third best. Don't count the AN7 out of the running either. Of the 4 boards, the AN7 is my favorite to work with. All have their own quirks.

23. Backfire

Backfire

Thanks Received:
    I count the 2 DFI's as one ;).
    A clear point is, I forgot the AN7. That was maybe, I never had the opportunity to find one at the right price. I always have to look after the money, so some wishes remain wishes ... .

24. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I had the opportunity to pick up spme an7s through the years but I was under the impression they weren't as good as the nf7-s. Oh and the kt880 based epox board I had was a great one also. It clocked like a beast too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    GOTCHA number 3!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday i pay all these 3 beauty and then the wait game begin! :D

Backfire and stinger608 say thanks.