1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by stinger608, Nov 14, 2009.

1. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that was kinda surprise for me :) I easily underestimate the low/lower mid-end GPUs so my bad :D

Haven't even tried FF XIV because IMO the whole FF series went to crap after FFX (when the Enix clowns came into FF business), so it's kinda unknown for me :D

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  2. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    technically Enix has nothing to do with the FF serie, Squaresoft did buy them but the FF team remained the same as before (afaik) and being one of the few to have as a favorite the VIII because of the non SD character i particularly like the XIV, tho from I to XIII i pretty much liked all FF except the XI which i never played. (well a part of the original FF team did quit and founded "Mistwalker" the studio behind one of the greatest rpg i played on Xbox360 ; Lost Odyssey ... duh i need to re buy a 360 :cry: )

also you can see i am a FF VIII lover ... my AV is a drawing for a Griever Tatoo: Griever is one of Squall Lionheart's G-Force (nope not Nvidia...) also as i said once if i except the typo, my forum name come from Griever(Greiver) and the Blade of the Gunblade of squall (or Weiss in FF Dirge of Cerberus)

also yep indeed never underestimate a R7 240 @950/2000 instead of 780/1800 (easiest OC ever! just push the limite to 20% and max all sliders... stock fan profile low temp : dead silent) even a DDR3 model :D since there was no 240 GDDR5 or 250 GDDR5 in 2gb low profile model i ended with that awesome piece from MSI (for 65chf ... could be worse)

for FFXIV ARR using custom preset and 1080P instead of 720P laptop mode i get 2800ish
    now i totally need to find some DDR2 800(or more) RAM stick and a Q9650 to play some more with the old bag huhuhu

ffxiv_29122013_102245.png ffxiv_31122013_103018.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    Doc41 says thanks.
  3. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Nice score JunkBear!!!!!!!!!!!

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:

Why so impressed? :p jk

The XP refused to boot so I installed Vista 32bits home premium. Disconnected the hp cd burner and removed the Samsung. Left Maxtor for this rig and Samsung will be used in other rig.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    stinger608 says thanks.
  5. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    LOL, the wife went out goofing around with the youngest daughter earlier today. They stopped at a couple of garage sales and she came home with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both brand new in box and never been opened!

I asked her; "what the hell did you pay for them?" She replied "$5 for both. Not $5 each but got them both for the $5!"

The fella told her that he had had them for several years and just never built a system with them.........

Amazing find I thought on her part!

6. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    GAH lucky one! ahahah

edit i might take that one ... way more a 5$ but still ...
    http://www.fr.ricardo.ch/acheter/or...-fast-amd-barton-2500-garantie/v/an733395866/
    duh i forgot to add the link ...

eh? i found back my Duron 700 (ceramic package) "Cracked Die" Edition (still working fine tho)
    IMG_20140511_092058_476.jpg

edit... i might search for a S939 mobo ... not that i want to open my sealed 3200+ but i want a S939 board ...

stinger608 says thanks.
  7. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, just ran across this:

http://www.doomretro.com/

Looks like a complete remake of the original Doom! Might have to download it and give it a try LOL

There is also current development on the Doomsday engine and releases on that as well here:
    http://dengine.net/

8. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    FF VIII is good, but not as good as VI or IX imo ;)

But that looks kinda cool, I have to admit :toast:

And awesome stuff for stinger, the fact those are sealed is damn great!

These are becoming to too new for this thread, but... Guess I'm getting a i3-540 + 1156 OEM mobo for 35 euros soon :toast:

GreiverBlade and stinger608 say thanks.
  9. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    naahhh if a i7 920 S1366 has his place a 1156 platform has the right too! (at last i mean it!)

i liked a lot the IX the story was great :D i still play it on my Motorola Razr i with FPse
    FF VI i guess you mean the III since the EU version was the III in japan :D i played all since the 1st serie (tho i can't remember well) i had a underground community, cartridge reader ... and DOS program for translation and re-code ... way much much much easier now to do translation ... (i did a 97% accurate Love Plus for NDS but personal use only :roll: still the beta tester who came from japan during the Polymanga 2009 said it was really a good translation, lot's of book and study tho xD)

i know, right... :toast:

in fact my Razr i is my Retro machine ... PSone SNES NES DOSBOX for the oldies and PPSSPP /NDSE for the more recent (well the DS emulator is all but smooth while the PSP one is buttery smooth :D )

i might get that for a bit more than 24chf
    735645658_2_Big.jpg 735645658_3_Big.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    stinger608 says thanks.
  10. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    Это обычно то что что не русскоговорящие люди заучивают прежде чем приехать в Россию :D
    "That's what non russian people usually learn when they go to Russia"
    Native Russian speaker here.

11. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    ahahahah tha'ts why i said : only Phonetic, Cyrillic is already hard enough :d (well ... less than japanese but still ) :D

oh well the old fart with a low end card can dish out some impressive result in spit of his age, result and min max temp (impressed by the DTH heatsink and only 1 100mm fan with a air duct if we except the 80mm from the PSU there is only one fan and it's dead silent on step 3 in BIOS)
    FF bench 1080P 60hz FXAA custom settings.jpg FF bench 1080P 60hz FXAA custom settings min max.jpg

stinger608 says thanks.
  12. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Where can i get à pci FireWire card with pins connectors on it so i can plug internally thé front case FireWire câblé? Mobo dont have onboard FireWire.

If u want à long and big map fps try Boiling Point. Plot: Journalist daughter of ex commando is kidnapped in south America then u have to be friends AND ennemies with gang, mafia, guérilla, government or cia to save her. Some bugs but ok in general. Like shooting a man that go dead but groceries bags keep running alone by themselves.

13. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    never seen one with internal header, hum ... if i find something i tell you back.

ah your auto correction change "the" in "thé" too ? ... smartphone app or browser?

14. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Auto-correct with the app of TPU in my Android 4.0.3 smartphone. I'm french canadian so my phone auto correct like that.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  15. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    JunkBear says thanks.
  16. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    The computer I found at junk will be given but after installing Vista 32bits home premium i realised the key i have is home basic. Does anyone have a key they dont use anymore of Home premium or i have to reinstall all over again? Thank you.

17. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Dang, just checked and all I have is ultimate.

JunkBear says thanks.
  18. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Dang, this is one of those times where I wished I still had a Fleabay account. :laugh:

20. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    Damn those heatsinks are small :D Doesn't they attach with thermal glue? If I remember correctly the 5500's usually had pretty bad contact with the GPU and hsf?

21. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i said i need to rebuy a Xbox 360 but also a Xbox ... i saw that Panzer Dragoon Orta crash on the 360 ... and it was my all time favorite game on the original Xbox ... snirfle ...
    at last i don't need to seek a Sega Saturn for the other games of the series as i have one :D

AND!

i got my hand on a window copy in a garage sale ... either i will set up the AXP retrorig ... or manage to assemble a Pentium rig --- not a 75mhz but i have a Pentium MMX 200 who wait in the collection ...
    Panzer Dragoon (パンツァードラグーン Pantsā Doragūn?)[2] is a rail shooter video game released for the Sega Saturn in 1995; and later released on PC, PlayStation 2.

Thousands of years from now, the human being is an endangered species. Of those that remain, an evil tribe known as the Imperials has developed the Dark Dragon, a powerful bio-weapon that, when complete, will render the Imperials unstoppable.

Armed with a powerful laser given to you by a fallen Sky Rider, it's up to you to battle these Imperials and other dangerous creatures of Earth as you fly through seven stages of 360-degree action on the back of an armored blue dragon. In your way are a variety of strange creatures including 10-foot wasps, sandworms, exotic birds and other creatures you'd have to see to believe. Powerful bosses like airships and other dragons challenge you at the end of each stage. Destroy the Dark Dragon and save the world in Panzer Dragoon.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    MINIMUM PC REQUIREMENTS
    Minimum CPU Type: Pentium
    Minimum CPU Speed: 75 MHz
    Minimum RAM Required: 8 MB
    Minimum Hard Disk Space: 50 MB
    Graphics Type: SVGA
    Color Depth: 256 Colors
    [​IMG]

stinger608 says thanks.
  22. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    GreiverBlade says thanks.
  23. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i had it on my Saturn ... but Orta one hold a special place ... stunning graphic heartbreaking plot ... overall a real pearl´

and worth mentioning: my guild in "Dragon's Prophet" is named "Panzerdragoons" (without S it was already taken ... ) tho i didn't try to name my char Orta, Azel or Kyle (by preference order :D ) :roll:

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    stinger608 says thanks.
  24. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    Got a old external3 port PCI card here
    http://postimg.org/image/efwh2penj/
    http://s19.postimg.org/etxt2ayr7/12052014796.jpg

Looking at the card circuit board it lists

Port 0 (top external port)
    Port 1 (Middle external port)
    Port 2 ( bottem external port)

it also has
    Port 3 ( an internal port . THIS IS ELECTRICALLY TRACE CONNECTED TO THE Port 0 top external Port BUT HAS NO ONBOARD PINS SOLDERD TO THE PCI board)

As far as i can make out the board has a SIIG chipset on it and part num

this card could probably do what you want if pins were soldered into the board so the case cable could be connected to the card

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  25. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:

I just reformated and reinstalled Vista Business. Problem solved after 2 days of looking for a valid licence.

stinger608 says thanks.