1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    hey for a hand me down/2nd hand rig, im glad i found enough cables to get it running :p got several zip ties to do some cable work later on today :)

xvi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    My big rigs are set to no new tasks. By looking at your build ManOfThem, I have far less work to do. You tore everything apart.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I had to break everything down completely to move it into the 900D, and it's turning out to be a lot of work. Also my tubing that was supposed to arrive today didn't come in so I'm hoping for tomorrow on that.

It's in depth, but I've been putting it off since Dec 14, which is when I got the 900D as a gift from my bro. I had wanted to do it at the time, but I didn't have everything I needed to make the change. Even now, I'm finding I'm short of stuff, or just that I wish I had something a little different. Oh well, there's always next time. :rolleyes:

Then once this is done, I'll be changing the i3 into my Haf case, but that won't be anywhere near as much work since ther'es no water cooling; just a "quick" move :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I'm moving away from cases because they are just to much work anymore. That, and I don't have to change my loop at all. Just motherboard/cpu. Not really that difficult.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I've wanted to have like an open test bench kind of setup, but it's just not feasible for me; not enough room and too likely a child would get into it.

Here's a little peak at how my work is coming so far

[​IMG]

stinger608 and HammerON say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Looks pretty darn awesome. Ram looks very familiar too ;). I don't have children or pets so open air is not a problem.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    You've got an ideal situation then imo, nothing much to worry about.

So how are you going to have our x79 rig? I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pics of that :)

Btw the ram works very well, and i love the look, matches really well; thanks again. I'd love to throw in another set and look totally baller :cool:

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Awesome builds, aside. News from the Help Fight Childhood Cancer at WCG!

AND, the good part...

In conclusion...

I know I helped out on this, in a VERY small way, 6 WU's, before I became internet-less, for a spell. However, I wanted to do more for this and it turns out, you all did it for me!!:respect::lovetpu:

TRWOV, Norton, AlienIsGOD and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    @Arjai: thanks for sharing that awesome info! I love when we get to read these articles that show what our hard work has been able to do.

Arjai and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Since I don't have a good way to do no case, with watercooling, the x79 rig will probably just replace my current rig in my 550d. All I got to do is replace the mobo /w cpu. Quick and easy swap. I need to look through some desk case builds for ways to complete a cool idea. I am thinking getting a motherboard tray. Attach it to a piece of wood or something. Attach that to desk on rollers. Slide out computer.

Really the most difficult thing is handling the OS's. I don't want to have to reinstall windows for my main rig again. I have done that too much lately and I am tired of it.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I'm considering a milk crate for a future build- thinking of ways to use one as a combined case/tech bench ;)

james888, AlienIsGOD and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    A milk crate? How so? Maybe placing a motherboard on a milk crate? I currently have my open boards on motherboard or gpu boxes. My main build is watercooled though making things complicated. I could just for ease keep the case I have and not change a thing. Its just when I do work on it, its a pain. There are near a dozen or more screws I must mess with. #first world problems

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Thinking that I would set it up like a HAF XB then put rad(s) on top of or across the top rails of the crate- still building it in thought atm...

james888 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. I have a spare milk crate or two. Hmm. Bonus points if I were to get some quick dissconnect watercooling plugs.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    On my 1055t @ 3.5 temps are in the low 40's under load using a Cm Hyper 212+ push pull.

stinger608 and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    the q6600 under ubuntu 14.04 LTS beta @ 95% load gets no higher than 48 C with a NZXT Respire 120 :) both i5's run in the mid 60's under 95 % load :)

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Anybody here have an A10-7850K or similar chip? Curious as to what PPD you're seeing out of it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I am absolutely, positively sure that not one single person, other than myself, could possibly give a rat's ass about what I am about to say, right now.

<< I just noticed I have more "Thanks," than "Posts".

I told 'ya!:laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Well guys, finally got the rig back together, had to wait for the tubing which came this afternoon. It looks to be running fine so far, and let's hope it continues going well. I'll throw up a pic or 2 when I get a chance a little later.

(minor complaint so far: I think long term i'm going to be changing out the SP120q fans with AP14s because I can hear these more, and I hate hearing lots of noise. :mad: It'll be fine for now, just thinking long term ;))

Right now, the i3 is ripped apart and being transferred into the Haf case, and I'm throwing away my old crap case. I've been wanting to ditch that one for a long time, and it's got me excited finally able to do so.

Well done, good sir, but maybe you should post more :laugh: :roll:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Do you really mean that considering his last Post?

JK Arjai

manofthem and Arjai say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Well, I post enough. Apparently, despite my earlier claims, people here seem to think of me as someone to Thank. :confused:
    :laugh:
    :lovetpu:

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Has to perform better than my 5800k. Stats here. http://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/host/detail/2376702
    This thing did 4k for a few months when I first got it, unexplainable. For awhile it has circled 2500k.

Norton and t_ski say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Yours:
    A10-5800K = 3.8GHz/4.2GHz Turbo = 2377 PPD on Win7

Mine:
    A10-7850K = 3.7GHz/4.0GHz Turbo = 2363 PPD Ubuntu

Are you using the APU for video as well? Maybe if I swap out a card for the graphics it might free up more for BOINC. I think the hard drive might be dying as well (I hear lots of clicks when I move the mouse to check on it), so I'm wondering if that's affecting performance, too. The system also seems very sluggish when I try to bring up the graphics to check on it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    Thinking about getting a AMD 8350 and 8 more gigs of RAM also need a new key board and a bigger monitor. Then again I need/want a new Bow, a new 30-06, shocks and fog lights for my Durango........What to do:confused:

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Selling the 1100T would pay for most, if not all, of the cost of an 8350 if that helps ;)

Bow says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU