1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Because of fresh install most likely.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Not sure how bad my W7 install could have been... I generally keep my stuff pretty neat.

I like Windows 8.1 Update 1 though... it does have some improvements for the desktop user... combined with Classic Shell it actually makes a good desktop OS. I see improvements in some backend things over pre-update Windows 8.1 as well... like the defrag utility. I seem to recall even 8.1 wanting to defrag my SSDs (well, it just said Optimize, which could be a blanket term) but I do seem to recall it doing 5 passes... now IIRC it just says it's running TRIM and goes from 0 to 100 percent (rather quickly I may add) so I have it set to automatically optimize everything once a week... SSDs get trimmed and the storage drive gets a defrag.

Windows 7 definitely looked better though... Windows 8 seems to have a bit of a cartoony look to me...

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I did not check but I updated the bios and it runs fine heat wise now.

Now the biggest problem is the oddball missing cap from somewhere I have not found yet, and the fact the motherboard will not accept a dedicated gpu. I have a few plans to work on that too but that will require some free time which is rare till next month for me. I did have a lot recently though to fix and set up this system.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I opened up my Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer by cutting the hoses off at the radiator, and about three ounces of apple-juice colored coolant came out with an interesting smell and also quite a bit of sediment which I assume came from hose degradation. The tubing is indeed 1/4" ID and fits on the 1/4" nylon barbs Norton sent me along with a used Swiftech 120mm radiator, two metal 3/8" (I believe) barbs, a large brass tee with three 1/2" screw inlets, a 3/8" to 1/4" nylon reducer, a 3/8" nylon barb and two 1/4" barbs. All I need to do is get some 3/8" vinyl tubing and distilled water/a fresh container of coolant (because we always used tap water for vehicles to dilute it) and I think I should be set. Thank you again Norton for sending me a bunch of WC stuff at no cost!

manofthem, stinger608 and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    You would have had the 3/8" tubing too if I remembered to stick it in the #$%# box :oops:

FYI- you can probably use a golf tee to plug the 1/4" fill tube temporarily... I use a bolt and a zip tie on mine ;)

manofthem and stinger608 say thanks.
  6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I actually found a spare Allen head bolt in my desk drawer from a cheap office chair that looks like it fits well in the 1/4" tubing you sent, may test and use it maybe put a little saran wrap or something around it to help seal it.

7. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I received an email from WCG reporting that CEP2 WU's will not be sent out right now due to validation issues, so I guess that explains for recent problems. Taken from here

Also, there will WCG maintenance this Sunday

8. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Beta's... I saw beta's in that notice! :D :D

ThE_MaD_ShOt and manofthem say thanks.
  9. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    manofthem, james888, Norton and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I got a beta on a server I brought online yesterday (or day before?). I think it was FAAH.
    Edit: May have been MCM.

Edit edit: Almost bought another server, but was outbid. Dual E55XX 2.56Ghz Xeon would have been nice. :(

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    Norton, Vinska and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    finally moving to an R9 290.

Sine I will be watercooling, do you think the reference one is enought strong to keep a good clocking? the reference PCB is strong?

cause they are so cheap in price.. I can get R9 290 DCU2 at 400$, 425$ for an R9 290X DCU2..

and 250$ to 300$ R9 290 reference..

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Emm, I guess it depends how beastly you plan to clock. My reference cards run a mild OC (usually run stock though) of 1050/1375 without voltage bump, which isn't that special I think. I haven't pushed high with the cards but I suspect they would do more.

Now price wise, I'd rather save $150ish and go with the ref 290, personally. But if you're looking for a beast of a card, I'd go with with the other one

13. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    I won't be running something like 1300 xD But I guess it would depend, I am not planning doing ultra overclock, and I don't know what is the stock voltage, but I guess arround 1100/1350. If the card can handle more with stock voltage, why not..I would say more what stock voltage will give me. I know these card has 5 phase Power instead of 6 for the DCU2 (asus), but I guess the card is already a good build?

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Is there going to be some other wu for gpu? Winter is getting closer.. (ok we are almost september but I hope my rig can heat my room haha)

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't think in the foreseeable future. Haven't hear anything regarding more GPU work units.

16. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Found the location of where the odd cap came off of. It in fact came from my 7870xt, not my motherboard so my current motherboard issues might be much more easier fixed. Saddly my 7870xt has some issues. I am not sure if I should contact powercolor because my gpu has no fan anyways from my own clumsy hand, but now two broken caps. This card has surprisingly been abused by my usually tender hands. I am not sure if this would be covered under warranty, if it is still under warranty. If it isn't I am not even sure how I would solder them back on.

Norton and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Norton

Thanks Received:
    stinger608 and manofthem say thanks.
  18. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Turns out there really was a problem with the motherboard and gpu's. It just started smoking and left a black stain on my 750ti from the pci slot. I knew trying to fix this board would be a project but... sigh.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Norton

Thanks Received:
    :eek:

Looked like you sorted out the socket pretty good... maybe you can try an RMA?

20. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I am actually typing on the computer now using the dedicated gpu. It runs, but just will not accept a gpu. I think an RMA is in order. I got this board so cheap too so that isn't too bad. I just hope it didn't kill the 750ti, but that would be another RMA.

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Oh my team, what a way to start a semester. Have you ever had a week where you seem to break everything you touch? I broke one of my graphics cards cap, I kind of blew up another gpu in a motherboard I was trying to fix, I also broke one of my cpu tower coolers, and even my kitchen sink faucet. I should just stop touching this. I need to lay in bed in a plastic bubble.

Chevalr1c and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:

Sounds like...

[​IMG]

See what I did there :p

23. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Close, but it looks more like this.

[​IMG]

Chevalr1c and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    So, this happened. Picked up a Dual LGA771 Intel board. It seems to have pretty strict requirements for power connections (it requires an 8-pin EPS and a 4-pin "12V4" power, which appears to be the exact same thing as the old 4-pin CPU/P4 connector), but I think I can fanangle it in to working some time during the challenge. It wants one of those weird Intel SSI power supplies and claims to refuse to work otherwise.

So, any tips on getting a "Intel SSI" board to run off a standard ATX 24-pin power supply? (I'll order a real PSU, but it most certainly won't be here in time for the challenge.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arjai, Norton and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Norton

Thanks Received: