1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    got great news. The E1500 is stable again and running XP 64bit(was 7 64bit) it will be back online shortly(installing drivers and boinc). The 240 is back at 3.6ghz but i had to use Easytune to get it to that speed again (still a no go when try in the bios :wtf:) the P4 is back at running 3.94ghz stable again

*knocks on wood* if all goes well tomorrow i should be at full steam on the WCG side but still 1 GPU short on the folding side:ohwell: i think my day of tweaking,stress testing and fresh installs was long overdue

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, hopefully everything is going to work out for you!
    Instabilites are unfortunately a fact of life when Ocing substantially, but still a pain in the ass :banghead:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    it is a pain in the ass but well worth it once you get the stability problems worked out.

BTW i forgot how snappy a fresh XP install can be. I been using 7 for so long.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    It's pretty impressive, I recently wiped and reinstalled XP Pro on the old laptop for WCG, and it's faster to boot and load apps than even the E6550 rig....but is still beaten by the T400 and rig in specs. I'm tempted to try out XP Pro x64 on the T400, but I doubt that I could find drivers for it, and I have things set up the way I like them :p And Aero is nice :eek:
    I don't think that the ~75 PPD extra is really worth it for all of the trouble it would be and the large chance of things not working properly

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    if things are how you like them and everything is working then don't change anything. The only reason i did is because i was using the same install i used on 3 boards and a few video cards(one of them was ATI the others Nvidia) also i used it on a board with a Via chip set,AMD chipset,Intel chipset and Nvidia chipset. I'm amazed that it even worked

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    Yup! It's doing 4 tasks at once!:) But the processor load fluctuates from 50% to 100% load as indicated by cpu-z and real temp!:)

I mean by task manager and real temp! Sorry for the unintentional 'dumbness'!

7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Go to options and set processor usage to 100%

neoreif says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    Followed your advice dub! Thanks for the tip!

theonedub says thanks.
  9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for crunching for the team :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the team dude, I'm usually around spamming along with the other guys, just haven't been home since 8am today. If you need some help I'm here too!

Make sure to check this link out, done by our own ION. Great guide, has everything you need :) CRUNCH ON :rockout:

WCG Essentials

11. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the welcome CP!:D Gonna check this link now!:toast:

[Ion] and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  12. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Anytime bro, if you need anything just holler at me. I'm hitting the sack now, i'm freakin' beat!

neoreif says thanks.
  13. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    HAHa! its night time there and its 3pm here in the afternoon! you have a good rest then!:roll:

Chicken Patty says thanks.
  14. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Yeah man. Was taking down the transmission from my car from about 8am to 2 or 3pm. Taking it down, open it up, seeing the damage, etc. I'll end up having to replace Input shaft, Input Shaft Gear, and 1st/2nd gear Hub and Sleeve. About $700. Sucks for me :(

15. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    I know some auto mechanic work too! But thats limited to changing oil filters and checking break fluid levels!:toast: Maintaining a car sure consumes a lot in the family treasury! But anyways, its a necessary evil!:D Sleep good my friend and rest your weary soul for tomorrow is another day!:cool:

16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    $700 from Shepard I hope. :D Should swap the diffs while you have it cracked, too. :D again

17. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Well I actually found everything I need for $418!!!! now Im really going to bed :laugh:
    Naw, it's not going to be from Shep bro. Stage I tranny is about $1250 shipped both way s and it don't replace none of the stuff I need.

I found the Input Shaft, Input Shaft gear, the whole 1st/2nd gear assembly and all the needed seals, oil, etc for about $440 shipped from Jacks Transmissions. I might do that soon :)

18. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    I'm almost certainly joining WCG for the CPU side of things, so I need a bit of info.
    How many PPD can I expect from:
    E5200 @ 3.5 GHz, E6400 @ 2.13 GHz ? (Vista)
    The Pentium 4 Northwood 2.8 GHz with 512 MB DDR400 (rig 3 in sig)? (XP)
    A T4300 2.1 GHz (which will be in my laptop with windows 7).

Oh, and I'll need to run this program pretty much undetected on the E6400, is there a way to install it so that it just sits in the background, using CPU when its not being used and not showing any signs of it existing? (well, it can appear in the "installed programs" list, but thats about it).
    Thanks for any info on this! :)

Chicken Patty says thanks.
  19. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    Good day 404! I can recommend you this link by [Ion]. Hope it helps! Hope you crunch soon for the team!:rockout:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=106593

Chicken Patty and [Ion] say thanks.
  20. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I seem to have the semi-official job of estimating PPD for everyone, so here we go:
    E5200: ~1000 PPD (as reported by the BOINC manager, BOINCstats.com, and Free-DC), 7000 PPD as reported by worldcommunitygrid.org
    E6400: ~600 PPD (BOINC), ~4200 PPD (WCG)
    P4 Northwood: ~250 (BOINC), ~1700 (WCG)
    T4300: ~600 PPD (BOINC), ~4200 (WCG).

As for WCG on the E6400, there's not really anything you need to do, I have it installed on my parent's rig and it stays running even while my brother is playing video games on the computer, it just automatically backs off CPU usage. I have set up BOINCview to monitor it remotely, and I can see the CPU usage % drop from ~98-99% when the computer is not being used to ~60% across both cores when he is playing a game, but it still runs in the background. Do your folks use Task Manager much, and if so, do you think they would notice the 100% CPU usage and try and do something about it? You could always set it lower, but, if anything, it's possible that it would be more noticeable because the graph in Task Manager would bounce around more. Setting it to a lower CPU usage % tends to assure people more because things aren't always at 100%, but in reality it just gives less PPD and doesn't make it any less noticeable (as it has no noticeable effect on system performance to begin with). I installed WCG on my mom's E6550, and she didn't even notice for the first 2 months, at which point I pointed out that I had set up WCG on it :cool:
    So I would say that it is essentially a non-issue for most computers

Error 404, Chicken Patty and theonedub say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    When I read his post, I immediately thought "Ion would be able to answer this" :D PPD Estimator should be your title!

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    You won't regret joining dude :toast:

That thread that neoreif linked you has all you need to know. The rest, that's what we are here for :toast:

23. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    what do you guys think about this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151084&Tpk=Seasonic S12d 750
    It's price couldn't be anymore perfect (i will have $100 not a penny more to spend on a PSU)

Should it be fine to run a
    X2 240@3.6ghz(or higher)
    2 8800GT's both overclocked

all will run 24/7 crunching/folding

I didn't find it worth starting another thread as i thought you crunchers could advise me and it does have to do with crunching :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a great PSU IMO, 750w, one of the best PSU manufacturers, 80+ Silver (even if you don't pay for the power, it saves your parents a bit), plenty of PCI-E cables, and very affordable. Go for it! :toast:

p_o_s_pc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    My production is low since 2 week on my Q9550. I play a lot (lfd2):eek:
    I will add a quad in a few days to stabilize my ppd:toast: (I'll pick up a psu Tuesday)

happy holiday to all crunsher :toast: :toast:
    I wish you all health, happiness and money (to build more rig;))