1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Mind sharing the details :)?

2. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    damn man, hope you can get it figured out bro :toast:

hope you hav net back up soon. Looks like lotta people our having issues.

3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    And, on top of this, my output is going to be down this weekend as I switch to Phenom II and OC a bit :rolleyes:
    These are not going to be very good days for the daily updates :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    hat's table

Please give a warm welcome to the newest addition to the TPU WCG family: my table (I will be setting my laptop on it, which I plan to bring back to the TPU WCG team sometime this weekend). Hand-made by me in my wood shop class at school out of wood from a sawmill somewhere... planed, squared, sanded, assembled etc. EVERYTHING was hand-made by me.

[​IMG]

Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    Look very nice! Gj bud

6. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Nice table hat. Back when I was at school my most epic woodwork was a ping pong racket and a pyramid shaped intercom.

EDIT: (crappy in comparrison) Should make a whole set of furniture for the house mate ;)

7. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I would if I could. In fact, maybe someday I will... this is my senior year and I hope to be moving out on my own, and it would be superfuckingawesome if I had a bunch of stuff I hand made. I don't know if the school would let me go and use the shop after I graduate though... but seriously, the pride, durability, and cost that comes with handmade furniture would be unbelieveable.

But seriously, this table is the Woods 1 project. There's 2, 3, and 4... I stayed after school a bunch of times cause I was falling behind and needed to catch up... and the things that other people build in woods 3 are far epicer than this table. People are making benches and chairs that would probably survive for a thousand years if kept inside and not abused.

KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Very Nice bro! I don't know why, but that just reminded me of my old shop teacher.. hehehe dude was on steriods! had a handlebar moustache and about 6'6"!.. My buddy and I were carring a long 2x4 from each end. Our shop teacher had been working on a kick ass table like yours for a few weeks. Well, he had finished it and left it on top of a bench table and well... lol we knocked it off, and it broke into 50 pieces!... He was so mad he grabed a 2x4, and snapped it with his bare hands! :eek: It was about 20 years ago!... lol I feel old now!..hehehe

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Thought of making a wood computer case? EDIT: Could make something that houses all your crunching rigs in a box :p

10. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I shut my rig down to install my Megahalem and when I booted it back up it would only recognize 1.99gb out of the 4gb RAM I have installed. I have it all fixed now, I think. What a nightmare and hassle. I think I will make a thread about it just incase anyone else ever runs into the issue.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    :( We are gonna get pounded!
    :respect: That looks great bro, WOW!

So what was the problem?

12. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice, so the i7 is up and crunching?

Bro, I almost have the money to get the board.. hehehe I hope soon.. :cool: It has a lot to do with how it goes tonight too..lol My buddy called me last night and hes wife wants to hook me up with her friend at work.. I figure it's going to be bad..lol cause they are really selling it!.. we all are going out tonight.. :banghead: the things i do for my friends..lol If it turns out bad i'll get hammered... If we hit it off i'm going to get hammered!(Velvet knows how we do it!... :roll:) Either way I hope I don't have to reach into my pc funds..lol Wish me luck guys! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Rather than make a thread I will address the problem here. The rig in question is WCG0 in my system specs.

After installing the Megahalems, booting into the BIOS on my EVGA P55 SLI (A51 BIOS) showed that there was only 2040MB RAM installed. Exiting and booting into Win 7 x64 shows that 4GB is installed but only 1.99gb is usable. Under resource monitor the remaining 2gb is listed as "hardware reserved". Apparently many believe this is due to some error in the remapping feature, im not so sure.

What I attempted to fix it and the results:

-Clear the CMOS via reset button on MB Result: No help, same issue still persists

-Reflash the A51 BIOS using EVGAs Windows based Flash Utility Result: No help.

-Reflash to Legacy BIOS (A39) Result: No help.

-Reflash from A39 to A51 BIOS Result: No help.

-Remove CPU and inspect for proper pin contacts on CPU and no broken or bent pins on motherboard Result: Everything looked good marks on all contacts, no change in situation.

-Complete removal of all heatsink mounting hardware Result: No help.

-Multiple reseatings of CPU and Heastsink including hardware Result: No help.

-Complete removal of RAM and reseating of modules in all slots (at least 15 times) Result: No help.

At this point I'm at that WTF moment and getting ready to request an RMA on the board. Out of desperation I reflash the BIOS again to A51, remove the entire MB from case, and put everything back together as if it were a new install. Machine posts with 4 GB RAM in BIOS, but Win 7 will not boot. Use the recovery option and do a system restore and Win7 boots fine, shows all RAM is avail.

Got my dual GPU F@H software setup again (system restore kindly removed it) and redid my OC in the BIOS- so far so good. I can't really determine what the heck happened to the board or what part actually fixed it. My apologies to whoever else has this problem. Im not so sure that I will not have to RMA this board later if the problem comes back up.

On the brighter side even with a not so great application of AS5 and slightly cooler ambient temps this is what the Mega is accomplishing (HT on):

[​IMG]

I will see about editing this later with some more detail in hopes it will help someone else, but right now Im tired of working and thinking about it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    The Mega is a big heavy cooler, maybe it was slightly bending the board or it was on to tight. I don't know man, but I had something weird happen only that I had a dead RAM slot :(. Thanks for sharing, hope the problem does not return.

15. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    may not be much but i got 2 of the P4's crunching again(the 3ghz HT and 2.4ghz IIRC)
    replaced the PSU in the 2.4ghz and replaced the ram and heatsink in the 3ghz

btw i don't think i will be putting a mega on my i7 when i get it done. I think i will stick with the FORT 120 or go water for it

[Ion] says thanks.
  16. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Moar crunching power :rockout:

17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I now have the X4 955, and, for WCG, it appears to be about on par with the Q9400 @ stock speeds. Unfortunately, it runs hot as hell, even with 2 exhaust fans and a Xigmatek HDT-S963, it's still pushing 65c at load (stock clocks), and the top/sides/back of the case are significantly more than warm to the touch.
    And the 92mm fan on the Xiggy is screaming away trying to keep things cool, but, unfortunately, unsuccessfully

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Did you guys ever notice that there is 16,776 teams in WCG and we are better than 16,742 of them? Looking at it this way, makes me want to buy some booze! :rockout:

KieX and Velvet Wafer say thanks.
  19. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Is this just an excuse? :p

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    we count to the crunching elite, dont worry;) i have my booze atm! nice Vodka Bull! because i also lowered nearly all my subtimings to 4, the ram is so damn responsible now, only the writes in everest are under 10000 :D

21. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just getting the 965 and a new SSD up and running. Also waiting on a 5870, which is coming monday. I've switched out some of my stuff for the AMD to optimize it for gaming and day to day stuff. After this is done, my plan is to keep the i7's exclusive to crunching. The AMD rig will be daily driver and gaming exclusively, and shut down at night.

22. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Kinda :laugh:

Sounds good. So you just gonna have a little crunching fleet and leave the AMD for just your daily driver. Sounds good to me bro :toast:

23. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, efficient crunching and reasonable power bill FTW.:laugh:

24. KieX

Thanks Received:
    I am wanting a 5XXX series ATI for my main rig. 4870X2 uses too much power when it's idle. Crunching with graphics on idle my rig conumes 300W as opposed to 100W of the other quad with integreated graphics. On the electricity bill that translates to £23 vs. £6 so a lower power consuming gfx card at idle would make MUCH difference

25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to try and get a new desk soon and place it by my window. I'll then get some of these and route it out my bedroom window. This way the heat goes outside and not in my room. My TT case has a top fan but if that dumps some heat into the room that's ok. If this plan works as planned and the heat is reduced drastically I will add more crunchers and do the same with them of course. What do you think?

neoreif says thanks.