1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    If you ever decide you need LED fans, just buy another one. In the meantime, a clipped fan still works as a fan.
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    What was the change that got it stable? Good to share just incase some other i7 owner wanted tips to hit 4ghz :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Building/testing a low budget PC upgrade for my sister (mentioned in the PC ATM thread too lol). In the meanwhile she doesn't get her birthday present, I'll have it as a dedicated full time cruncher. She might be happy to crunch with it as she did with her macbook a while ago. Won't be on all the time then, but some points should still come through.

Pentium E6300 @ 3.5GHz (334x10.5):
    [​IMG]
    Chicken Patty and [Ion] say thanks.
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Very nice! Those Wolfdale CPUs really seem to OC incredibly, especially for the cost
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    both pc's are backup.. one is crunching and other one will be by tomorrow. I bought a H50 corsair for my q9550 and it's at 3.8GHz stable ortto over an hour @ 58 degrees c.. i'm happy... before with a zalman 92mm around 84c ortto.... hehehe going for 4ghz tomorrow... push pull for the win!

edit: cpu lapped
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice Mindweaver:) People really seem to like those H50 coolers from Corsair...
    Mindweaver says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Hmm....
    Maybe I should get one :cool:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    or snag so good deals and build a real WCing loop for only alittle more ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't you just love that thing?? :toast:

me me me "raises hand"

yeah but keep in mind the H50 is as simple as a air cooler to install and is maintenance free. I absolutely love mine! when the a/c is kicking a bit, load does not exceed 40ºc for my AMD rig with the factory Corsair fan, just pushing.
  10. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got to say I really like the whole setup.
    You should go for it! I picked mine up at best buy in concord mills for only $79.99. I normally buy everything from the egg.. but lately there prices are high... So if i can get it for around the same price I'm going to start buying locally.

I really didn't think the install was as bad as some have said. The key is get an extra set of hands.

True but you'll have to change out water and do maintance.. This is just set it and forget it. and plus what you save in additives and stuff you could about buy a new H50 every year.. but the best part about that is you don't have too. :toast:

Now don't get me wrong. I agree that a loop would be better. As long as the person is willing to put the work into it. :toast:

Bro, I'm kicking myself for not buying one sooner! :roll: :toast: This thing is awesome! and looks sexy in my new storm scout! Pictures on the way. :toast: My CM hd cage I bought awhile back looks kickass in it too. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Yeah definitely! My biggest surprise of this lot was the Gigabyte board (first time I went for something non-ASUS). Cost me less than the ASUS on my Q8400 and it has so many more features. Even a half-decent overclocking menu in BIOS. For just £30 brand new. And I really like the blue.

From now on goodbye Asus, hello Gigabyte :respect:
  12. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it looks great as well. I'm amazed at how well it performs and the fact it's maintenance free! :rockout:
  13. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I would be willing to do maintenance on a full loop, but it's almost 2x the up-front cost even for a cheap loop....and the PC-A05S has no space for any sort of full loop. Maybe space for a pump/res inside, but it would be tight, and I'd have to hand the rad off the back. I'll look into a H50, I was considering a HDT-S1283 or Mugen2, but I don't think that either of those would be enough of an upgrade to be worth it...but the H50 would. And I also want a new folding card. Ugh.... :(

@CP: Any luck again with the i7 rig?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Q9550 up and running. :)

[​IMG]
  15. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you would be impressed at what the H50 can do. I think its totally worth it. I have another one coming for another cruncher build going on.
    [Ion] says thanks.
  16. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, in that case, as soon as I get the RF sold (friend says he's going to buy it for $55-60), I think I'll get one :)
    blkhogan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    ill be getting a H50 too the 1st along with my Rogue, cant wait:D
    blkhogan says thanks.
  18. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I picked up a Coolit Domino to see how they cooled. The Domino is still a great cooler, but not in the same class as the Corsair. ;)
  19. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    just got h50, tbh not to impress, maybe expectation is a lil high but its a keeper, got my q9550 to 3.8 around 68c-70c
  20. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I dont like how messy the Corsair looks and it offers very little (nothing??) over "good air", that makes it a niche product in my view and it has no real market place...the only reason it sells is because of it being 'water cooling' when really its just another Coolit rip-off that performs the same as an air cooler of its price range with no gain in performance.

I'd sooner take an air cooler such as the Fenrir, Baram or even the Noctua that's huge as the chance of failure is pretty much no existent (the fan can still fail but the sink cant) while the temps are the same. :)

Besides that, nothing really looks cleaner (i.e more aesthetically pleasing) than a very well thought out and put together air setup...not even water...thats coming from a person who has both of his main rigs WCed with pretty decent setups. :shadedshu

BUT, each to their own and while I dont like the Corsair, you cant deny it is a capable unit and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :toast:
  21. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Nice...

Two 6800s? :wtf:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, for now...hacked SLi drivers for the UD3P makes it worth a play with. :laugh:
  23. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    The rig is fine, I need to empty out the drive though. The lack of space is causing it to not respond after some time of it running. My mom just came back home today from the operation so hopefully this week I can get around to doing it.
    [Ion] says thanks.
  24. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Guys I need a little help on a RAM issue, just want to be sure on something.

I have a 3x2gb Corsair Platinum kit, but I only use 2 of the sticks on my P55 board. I have the opportunity to pick up a single 1gb stick of matching Corsair Platinum. I want to run (3) 2gb sticks and (1) 1gb stick for a total of 7gb RAM.

I am fairly certain that this is fine as I have a similar setup in my netbook with a 2gb and 1gb module which still operates in Dual Channel, but I am unsure if the same will work on the P55 setup. Anyone know for sure if this will work?

Thanks!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    As long as it is same exact ram it's ok.