1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I'd still do it, and just be saving my pennies for a proper board in the meantime. lol.
  2. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys, although I'm not posting much, I'm still here and keeping an eye on things. Just hella busy lately.
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't. I overclocked a phenom 9500 to the point were it took 125w and fried my board, along with my video card.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    The chance that I"m going to be getting an i3 is dropping rapidly :)

Instead, it's looking more and more like a HT-enabled Lynnfield (not sure if I'll get an i7 or Xeon). And best of all, I'll probably be able to get the CPU + mobo for free :cool:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    So I'm looking at getting these:
    EVGA P55 SLI or Asus Maximus III Gene
    --and-- Core i7 860

I'm looking for a 3.8-4ghz OC on my Corsair H50. If I would be better off with a different motherboard, I'm open to considerations. I like the 3 PCI-E slots of the EVGA so I could run 3 cards for F@H if I wanted to (however, this would probably be unlikely). I really like the uATX form-factor of the Asus, because although I currently have an ATX case, I think there's a decent chance I'll downsize to uATX at some point. I'd really like to stay at under $450 for the mobo and CPU, so if I get a nicer mobo, I'd probably get a cheaper Lynnfield-HT Xeon instead, such as the X3440.

Opinions?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. I am going to be back to my normal levels soon. I got beat out for the job I was working on getting yesterday. I ended up re-injuring my shoulder that was damaged while in the Marine Corps during the final physical testing. :( It just couldnt take the abuse anymore and failed on me at the last minute. Thats ok. I gave it my best shot. Also had age working against me. :shadedshu Im not 25 anymore. :p
    Looking at starting my i7 build in the next few weeks. So I need you guys to start throwing some advise at me on where I should start. I dont need a lot, I have most of the components already. Looking for mobo (what socket?), CPU and memory. Like to keep those components at a budget of around $450 to $550 if possible. Feels good to be back home here at TPU. Missed you guys. :toast:
    [Ion] says thanks.
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Look at my post just above :p
    I think that looks like a pretty solid i7 setup, with the exception of memory. 2GB should be fine for a dedicated cruncher, I've had good luck with G.Skill so I'd go with them. If you plan on using the comp for other stuff, you may want 4GB. I see no reason to go with X58 considering a decent P55 board (P55M-UD2) can clock an 870 to 4.3ghz, so probably an 860 to 4ghz when a X58 is easily $60 more for a mobo + more for tri-channel memory
    blkhogan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Ion- i7 860 and P55 SLI is a great combo :D Just keep an eye out for deals. I got my i7 860 ridiculously cheap.

Blk- Sorry to hear about the job, but like you said, you gave it your best :toast: As far as the i7, do you live near Frys? They have an i7 860 and Giga P55A-UD3 for $315- board is usually $120 and CPU is usually $279, so there is good savings.
    blkhogan and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    The nearest Frys for me is ~300 miles and Microcenter is at least 150...so Newegg and Tigerdirect are my only real options. And my uncle is going to be getting these for me, so it's definitely going to be limited to online stores. I'm OK with that considering I won't be having to pay for them :D
    Is the EVGA P55 SLI a "better" board in terms of OCing or whatever than the Maximus III Gene? I was looking at the P55 Micro (not the P55V), but I am most definitely not interested in a 1 year warranty...I like 3 years :cool:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Either board will get you to the desired clock if the CPU is capable. I prefer full sized boards though :D

3 year warranty is nice as well, so far my experiences with EVGA have been very good.
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, if they'd both OC about the same I think I'll probably try and get the Asus...don't get me wrong, I'm sure the EVGA is great, but I'd definitely rather have a uATX for more flexibility options...I would probably have gone for the EVGA P55 Micro if it had a "real" warranty. I also looked at the Gigabyte P55M-UD4 (I've liked my past experiences with Gigabyte boards), but based on the Newegg reviews (and we all know how accurate those are :rolleyes: ), it seems to have quality control reviews..and I really don't want to have to deal with a RMA with somebody else's Newegg account
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    m-atx is nice, then you dont have to get a new board when you go down in size:cool:

and they should both oc nice afaik
    [Ion] says thanks.
  13. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That's what I like to hear :cool:

I'm not certain I'm going to downsize, but the airflow in the A05 sucks, so something like a P180 mini would be cool (or an Antec 300 would always work as well)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    im getting a p180Mini as soon as i get better, the black one, they are so nice, and im pretty tired of all that lights and what not, i just want a nice quiet case, main reason is because the rig is on like 23.9 hours a day,
  15. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im about 2 hours from the Fry's in Portland OR. Ill start watching their adds. Thought about going to day, but decided to take some big guns out and blow off some steam instead today.
  16. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:

wish i could do that sometimes :rockout::rockout::laugh:
  17. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretty tough gun laws where your at? Thats one big plus living in the US, for now. :mad: Im going to go shoot at some ground hogs with my 300 win mag. Not much left of them afterwards. :)
  18. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    i live in denmark

the only thing that you can get without permission is a freaking pelletgun? with the small led thingie that you have to manually reload everytime

even have to get permission for a knife that has a 7+ cm blade :shadedshu

i only know 1 person who has a glock handgun in his house in a safe.
  19. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ouch! Thats harsh bro. :mad: I believe in some gun control, but thats way to much. The bad guys dont abide by the laws anyways, but punishing the good people isnt the answer. :shadedshu
  20. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. Tough gun laws only hurt the law-abiding citizen. Criminals are criminals, they break the law. They'll get thier guns, legal or not.
    blkhogan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    The P180 mini does look awesome, but it's huge for a uATX case, I think given the size the A300 could definitely be a better option...full ATX for a fraction of the price. I'm almost certainly going to be going with the i7 860 + EVGA P55 SLI, but I might get a Lynnfield-HT Xeon just because it's different
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    +1

you can of course get the usual hunting rifles etc with a hunting license...

but not handguns, MP's and what not....and our pumpguns/shotguns? is limited to 3 or 4 shots maximum afaik
  23. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    An unarmed populous is a dangerous way to live IMHO. I dont agree with people having enough to supply a small 3rd world military, but some form of personal protection to keep criminals at bay is warranted in most cases. Who is there to protect you or your family when the police cant? Whats a baseball bat going to do against an armed intruder? Ive only discharged a weapon at another human being once outside of military service. Its scary but sometimes the only choice you have.
  24. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    In WWII, Japan wouldn't invade the mainland US because there was "a rifle behind every blade of grass". Just throwing that out there.
    Radical_Edward says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    So I just asked my uncle for the i7 860 and the EVGA P55 SLI...hopefully he'll email me back this evening saying that's cool, if not, well, I'll get the mobo and memory myself. Obviously it would be coolest if I upgraded to an i7 for only $100 in memory - whatever I get for my AMD stuff, but a free i7 would still be amazing
    Crunching for Team TPU