1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. KieX

Thanks Received:
    But I presume your X6 is still cooler? I mean i7's heat up a small room like a mini furnace, so if the PPD differene is small I'd prefer that. My i7 is 1.28v for 4GHz but even with the Noctua D14 it's hovering around 76C.
  2. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My i7 peaks at 60ºc during the day when my ambient is at about 27ºc but at night low 50's, My AMD peaks at about 52ºc during the day, 48-49ºc at night. But keep in mind the low voltage overclock on the i7. Oh and yes, the i7 does heat up the room a lot!
  3. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. perhaps I'll get an X6 as my main rig to have a direct comparison and then go X6 or i7 depending. You seem to have a good i7 there for the difference to be less than 10ºC.
  4. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    This CPU loves low voltage. I am sure I can get it down a bit more but just to be stable i'll leave it at that, don't feel like messing with it.
  5. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like the fans so far. :toast: and yea they do push a lot of air. :rockout: I turned my fan controller all the way up and then turned it back about 15% and the static pressure seems to be better than at 100%. It's drop around 4-5c! :rockout:

I moved the red led 120mm fan from the back of the case of my Storm scout to the top replacing the 140mm. I don't think I lost anything by doing it. I will probably order a 140mm CM red fan next week. Either way I figure the 120mm is equal to or greater cfm fan than the 140mm. What do you guys think?
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I am worried about money but would be able to pull of a 930 rig but the cost difference is making the x6 look good.as for air and water cooling I plan to use air forawhile then build a kinda cheap water setup with a mcr220 rad or something like it.I will be using a fifty s1383 as the air cooler.the and rig will cost aroubd 300ish if I don't go with a high end board and the i7 will be 450ish with one of the cheapest boards.
    Also do you think a corsair 400w Psu would run a x6 at 4ghz and a 8800gts g80? Or same setup but with a i7
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, never thought about running them a bit under full speed. I'm going to try that now with the one I have on the Megashadow cooling the i7.
    Thing that kills the cost of a X58 setup is the mobo's, most are very expensive and even a lower end one is still costly as opposed to the AMD motherboards.

For PSU calculation use this guide, it's great. However they don't take GPU's folding into consideration but at least it does let you choose 100% for the CPU :toast:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
  8. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    I would go with the 1055t and save your money. I have a corsair 400cx on the 860 and I had a Thermaltake TR2 laying around. So, I put the tr2 on the 1055T. I picked up a few of those powersupplys when newegg had them on sale for 24.99 free shipping. I have 3 machines using the 400cx and around 7 or 8 using the TR2. So, yea the corsair 400cx is a great psu and will run a x6 at 4ghz and a 8800gts g80. The TR2 is back up around 40 bucks and at that price I would pick the Corsair over the TR2 for the better warranty. But when the TR2 was 24.99 you couldn't beat it. It's solid and has cable sleeving. I've not had one to go out yet... hehehe i shouldn't have said that.. All of them will start dying..lol :toast:

Yea bro, try running them a bit slower. Just remember if your other fans can't supply enough air to the higher speed fans then that is were your problem is at. They can be faster just not a lot faster. I would just tune it in. This may not be the best way but you can put a piece of lint in the bottom of your case. Tune the fan controller where the lint lifts and starts to rotate. hehehe not the best way but it works.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
    p_o_s_pc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Which fans did you turn down? Intake or exhaust? It sounds like you created negative pressure.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    @MW i was asking about the the 400w corsair because i already have one and have had one for a while now not seeing any use so it looks like i will put it to use when i get the $$ for the x6 :D thanks for the input. I used to have the PSU running a P4HT@4ghz and 2 8800GT's but only ran that for about a day before i put my 650w Silverstone on it i thought it was alittle too much for it to handle long term for folding and crunching :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Negative pressure would just pull air in. You want to tune past that point to where the lint start to go toward the exhaust fan (I should have noted that.. hehehe), but yea you can tune it to the point of negative pressure.

:toast:
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    ill put my dual xeon thingie (yeah its OLD) under someones username

who needs a few extra points? should give around 1k ppd a day
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  13. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't mind but there are people who try hard as hell and dedicate all they can to crunching who can use the help more than someone with a i7 and a x6. :toast:
  14. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    if noone else want the extra ppd then i wont mind throwing it under your name for a while CP :toast:

but +1 on what you said :rockout:
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  15. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    YHPM with some suggestions.
    (FIH) The Don says thanks.
  16. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Guys, numbers might be down a bit on the WCG side of things for me the next day or two, had to reinstall BOINC, not sure if the stats will be affected or not.
    p_o_s_pc and Radical_Edward say thanks.
  17. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Fellas,

I haven't been around as much as I'd like to lately, been really busy with work and exercising and getting my own stuff done in the little time I have. I really thanks KieX for helping organize the contest because by myself I wouldn't have been this far yet. We've taken a hit because of the summer time but I wanna see these numbers climb guys, I'm giving it all I have I've actually expanded my folding and will be adding a rig soon to crunch and fold as well so the summer is no excuse :p
    HammerON, mjkmike, theonedub and 3 others say thanks.
  18. twilyth Guest

My 1090 is being a real fuckin' prima donna. All I did was change the fan/hs and when I turned it back on, the video card was dead. Pulled out the 4850 - dead. Now I'm tearing the place up trying to find a video card. I know I have at least one or two others . . . someplace. I am NOT hallucinating.
  19. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    ouch, well i got 7900gs if u need just pay shipping
  20. twilyth Guest

Hmmm. I just might. I have to put in a newegg order tomorrow anyway though, so I guess I'll at least see what they have. Thank you.
  21. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    just pm me bud if u need

BTW how come our tpu wcg badge doesnt say we hit million mark like f@h?
  22. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    PM W1z about the badge, maybe its something he can fix. It was originally supposed to be like that and it seems like everytime its brought up no one knows why its not like that now.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. twilyth Guest

I don't know too much about such things since I wasn't on the team for very long last year (???) and I just rejoined about a week ago I think.

If I can whip that 1090 into shape, I might be eligible for the basic 100k badge in a month or so.
  24. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
  25. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Do eeet.
    Crunching for Team TPU