1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Chicken Patty, stinger608 and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Well guys im back from a long hard weekend to find my car beat to death by high damaging hail from the south east storms that took so many lives here in the south. It looks like a midget too a hammer to my car :( I have a appointment with the insurance company tomorrow to get it checked for repair (if they can repair it). I have my new case up and going but I wired the fan to full power and they are pissing both me and my wife off so I will have to fix it when I get home. Also I will try to start on my fan mod for the down quad so I can get it back to crunching!

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Dang, that sucks bro. Probably a good thing none of those hailstones hit you. Good luck with those repairs.

4. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Yea, people lost their homes and some lost their lives. I pray for those who have been ran over by mother nature.

On a lighter note.... I GOT THE HARD DRIVES KIEX! they were waiting on me when I got home sunday.

KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear they got there eventually :toast:

Not a religious person, but my sincerest best wishes to those who were affected. Nature is still an untameable force :ohwell:

6. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Dang Brandon, really sorry to hear about your car bro. :-( Thanks to a higher power that you and yours are okay though; cars can be replaced, lives cannot!

Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Thank you stinger! Yea my wife says the same thing!

Well this afternoon I accomplished alot. I got a higher flowing fan on the quad that was overheating and it seems to have dropped the temps about 5 deg but still hovers close to 50DEG full load. I will change out the back fan with a higher flowing 120MM fan.

Also, over the weekend my wife picked up my PC I had loaned her dad as a spare so now I took the Pentium III guts out and installed a Biostar TF7050-A2 (thanks MT Alex) and a 5600+ AM2 dual core. Got this running Winxp x32 :( but will try to installed windows 7 X64 as quick as I can.

[​IMG]

KieX, mjkmike and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    Hello!
    Could you please answer my question. Can I expect that the activities of your team has nothing to do with the development of military data? I would not want to help the aggressor (USA). If you have in mind only the scientific component, then I would be happy to join your team.

Edit:
    If I am banned, I would like to say that I was pleased to communicate in this forum, where I found friends and people here are sensible.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  10. KieX

Thanks Received:
    This page will give you all the information you need on the projects that World Community Grid runs. Most of the research is for small laboratories and universities that require the compute power of a global grid: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewAllProjects.do

You can also see the researcher's requirements for acceptance into WCG here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewSubmitAProposal.do

It's a humanitarian oriented project, and it is global rather than solely American.

mjkmike says thanks.
  11. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    You can give me some assurance that this project will not be used for military purposes?

12. KieX

Thanks Received:
    No offence, I am European myself but I've come to know very well many in this team that are USA based and I would kindly ask that you respect them by not generalising your views in such a manner.

The links I provided you is information that is readily available to anyone. If you do check them you'll find that WCG does not in any way promote any militaristic agenda. It is a scientific project and it is VERY transparent about what it does.

That's about as much as I can assure you. If you are not convinced then you can always post in the official WCG forums for more information: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/index

I'm not a preacher, but I am happy to help if possible.

(FIH) The Don says thanks.
  13. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    All my system are done working because I forgot to load them up. Crap. Well they get a break for awhile.

KieX and (FIH) The Don say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

we all work for the US military.

ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
  15. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    I do not want to offend anyone, just world events compel me to express it.

Thanks for the link. I have read and think about it. I can connect the network of the department in which several Xeons, which is idle for 16 hours out of 24, talk it, would not it be a gift for the growth of U.S. military power.

16. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    So I have not had any doubts.

17. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    im just messing with you ;)

but as KieX said, just repect ppl, its not everone that is bad, a bad government is not the same as the whole nation is bad, or everyone living in that country is evil persons

ofc you ARE allowed to have your views and opinions, but just explain it civilized and in good manners, a good discusiion, where you respect your oponent is always good

18. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    You accuse me of genocide, but it is not correct on your part. I just wanted to know if it will not harm my country, my people and my family.

19. KieX

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting close to that too. Thought they were meant to be back up by now.
    Cool. Well if you do plan to go ahead with it and you're willing to enjoy a chat with the great folks here, let me know if you need any help with network deployment.

20. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    I am sorry that i had come, more will not ever try to talk to such stars.:respect:

21. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    WCG is just here to help people.... this is an international project to help find cures for cancer, disease, etc... I don't even notice what country anyone is from, we are all part of the same world and we only have one of those.

mjkmike, Daimus, stinger608 and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. twilyth Guest

I don't want to derail the thread, but if you had checked on WCG, our team is listed as unspecified (in this case, that just means it's blank). I'm not sure why since BOINC-stats has us listed as an int'l team, but maybe that is the default.

Also, I assume you know that this forum is based in Germany - at least it's owner is. Just checked and the server appears to be in Hong Kong. Hmmm. Never knew that.

I am puzzled though as to how anyone could give assurances about how computer time is used or by whom. I mean, obviously we believe that there's no nefarious agenda, but if there is some secret agenda, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be stupid enough to tell us about it.

23. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Can I just say, that's very nicely put. I am putting that in my sig :toast:

Norton and stinger608 say thanks.
  24. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    I am very grateful to you for appropriate response. It is human nature to hope - so I will participate in a project team consisting of WGC in a week when I get back from a trip.

ChaoticAtmosphere, mjkmike and Norton say thanks.
  25. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    If it was possible to help people buy a computer, we all would have helped. We have so many computers that i&Norton can provide a little African country.

Norton and (FIH) The Don say thanks.