1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    That would work. I wonder if you could mod up your own to double up wiring (8 wires->4pins).
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    The adapter does that, It takes the positive and negative wires and bundles the 8 down to 4.

I PMed bow and explained my situation. Hope something can be worked out, I know he needs a motherboard and if I have to I can sacrifice my 880G to him if that would help.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Oh ok. Was thinking it took 8 pins at the female end of the adapter and pushes them down to 4 wires at another male connection.
  4. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Would anybody be willing to pitch in a few bucks along with me and anyone else to get Brandon a PSU? He deserves it, I'm willing to do it.
    Norton says thanks.
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Its ok CP! I am just gonna go with Mad shots PSU for now and see how it will handle the system and if I get scared I will try to find another one. I really do appreciate the thought!!! THANK YOU CP!
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    My Phenom 1045T arrived today, along with my two Rosewill RG530-S12 power supplies and a 40g jar of Cooler Master IceFusion cheapo-paste. I'm putting the 1045T through its paces right now on my Crosshair III Formula and seeing what clocks/volts I can do (although it's only a 13.5x chip and my board only does around 265-270 HTT).

Hopefully my HEC Blitz cases will arrive tomorrow and in better condition than the half-opened Newegg box I got today.
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a problem and I'm wondering if anyone knows an answer to it lol. My wife closes wcg to watch movies on here (dunno why when I said to only close folding). When I get home and click on wcg to open. My pc locks up. I can't do a thing exept for hitting reset and letting it load normally at startup. So basically Even if I click it to bench or play a game and then reopen. It locks pc again.

Any ideas?
  8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    You will be fine. Like I said you may want to get a 20 to 24 pin adapter, thought I am not using one on that psu with the s939 system it's in now. It does have the 4 pin cpu power connector and 26 amps on the 12v line. I ran a cheap 450 watt that is less of a unit then this one is in my x4 system without issue. I would still be using that cheapie in the x4 if I wasn't given a antec 650 watter. If you have a problem with it you can always send it back without issue. But if your system ran on a 450 watt unit before it will run on this unit.

Not sure what you got going on there Pops. Have you tried unistalling and reinstalling?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Are you closing down the BOINC manager or just the interface? WCG will still run when the manager closes. Options:
    - suspend
    - exit and stop doing science (or some message like that)
    - right click the BOINC manager on the task bar and snooze it (not sure if that works or what it does?)
    Any of these should return your system back to useable state for other things
    ThE_MaD_ShOt and popswala say thanks.
  10. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, wasn't thinking about those. I was just clicking up top -File-Exit. I should have remembered its still running in background even tho interface is closed. I'll remember that. I'm still wondering why its acting that way tho.

I checked my other rig to see that it wasn't updated all day. all clients were 100% with no new ones. Come to find out the wireless wasn't connected. I looked through all settings and seen that it was set for the pc to turn off to save power. I hope that fixed it. Soo many things to remember and a lil brain to hold it all lol.
    Norton and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  11. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Mad Shot and I have been going thru similar things since we started (learning curve?). I still have a rig or two that forgets to report its work and went through a different kind of lockup on each machine at least once... even lost a couple of days work because of them :shadedshu
    ThE_MaD_ShOt and popswala say thanks.
  12. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Yeah we are still on the learning curve of this stuff. :toast:
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I had to leave work early tonight, but my 1045T E0 easily passed IntelBurnTest (set to Very High/4GB) at 267*13.5 (3604 MHz 1.4v), Turbo disabled, 2667 NB/HT and ~1420 DDR3. I then dropped it to 1.375v but didn't have time to install WCG tonight so I'll see if I find the computer acting funny or BSODing tomorrow when I get back. So far, I am quite impressed with it considering it's a locked, low bin chip. It seems to be doing about 70 GFLOPs in IBT which is pretty fast. My 955 BE Deneb C1 on DDR2 1066 gets about 40-45 GFLOPs on the nForce 3 board if I recall, but that's in XP x86.

Definitely faster than the Sempron 130 placeholder I had in my Crosshair III. :roll:
    KieX says thanks.
  14. Norton

Thanks Received:
    3.6 is a nice o/c for a 1045T :toast:

poor little Sempron's... they get no love :laugh:
    ChristTheGreat, KieX and Jstn7477 say thanks.
  15. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    I noticed that my 1045t uses almost 2.6 GB of memory when processing certain tasks. I had the idea to pull out one of the two memory module and run the Athlon X2 5000 + (unlocked to Phenom FX5000 Quad Core), now I have to give up at the thought.
  16. KieX

Thanks Received:
    So an update on the SR-2... The IMC on one of the Xeons died. :shadedshu Thankfully the rest of the CPU is fine, and having switched all the RAM to other CPU, the cruncher keeps going, albeit at stock speeds. The 3930K.. well 4.3GHz it is, good 10C cooler than 4.6GHz.

Some luck better than no luck at all.

I've run some of my i7's on 2GB for a while (now running 4GB since RAM prices dropped). Think you just need to avoid CEP2 and you will be fine. Check the project requirements, will give you an idea: http://goo.gl/g8QLF
    Norton, Daimus and ChristTheGreat say thanks.
  17. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:

Sucks for the CPU :(

On my side, if my boss gets a new laptop, I'll grap an i7 820QM !!!! means 8 thread of Crunching (and ATI FirePro M7820)!!

:rockout:
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Maybe reducing the RAM use in the settings can help those lockups?

If you need to keep pausing it for specific programs, like Windows Media Player or whatever you're using, you can include it on the config file so that BOINC automatically pauses whilst that software is running.

Search for the cc_config.xml file (think it's by default in user/appdata/boinc) and add this line: <exclusive_app>program name .exe</exclusive_app>

Code:
    <cc_config>
      <options>
         <exclusive_app>Speed.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>Crysis.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>FarCry.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>NFSHP2.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>FarCry2.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>Dirms.exe</exclusive_app>
         <exclusive_app>Spybot.exe</exclusive_app>
      </options>
    </cc_config>
    Then restart boinc or choose to read config file from the advanced menu. :toast:
    mjkmike, Norton and Daimus say thanks.
  19. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Guys, I'm sick as hell again, fever, the whole nine yards. So If I'm not on much, you know what's going on.
  20. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear that Captain. I hope you get feeling better soon. You think it may be the bird flu?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Norton

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: you're whacked!!!

Get better soon!

Try some chicken soup..... or is that cannibalism? :p
  22. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    :roll:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. twilyth Guest

Get your vitamin d levels checked. unless you're outdoors alot, they're guaranteed to be low. Take at least 1000IU's of D3 (not D4). I started doing that 2 years ago and haven't been sick since. I used to get bronchitis 1-3 times per year even after I stopped smoking.

Also get some zinc lozenges. They're usually 5mg each and the daily value is 50mg so you can safely consume at least 10 per day. A good multivitamin will help but you need to take the D3 separately since no one is likely to have 1000 IU's.

Get tested if you think I'm nuts. I guarantee you will be below the acceptable range unless you get a lot of sun.
  24. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I dropped the X6 1045T to 1.325v and installed WCG. I think this CPU still has some more room to undervolt although I could be close to the limit. We'll see tomorrow when I have more time.

So far I'm still amazed at what voltage and wattage this Thuban pulls off. I think I gave Thubans a bad rap last year but I have a feeling the difference from a Deneb is almost as significant as moving from an Agena X4 9750 (which has killed two motherboards with its ridiculous power consumption) to a Deneb X4 955BE (which is much better than the Agena but still needs 1.425v to do 3.6 GHz). Supposedly the IMC is a lot better than Deneb's IMC as well?
  25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:

Yeah, I tested years ago and they told me I needed to take vitamins, but never did. I just kept forgetting to buy overtime for some reason. So I finally started taking some vitamins and stuff, hopefully I'll get sick with less frequency now, i literally get sick once a month, it sucks. I'm typing with a damn fever as I speak. :(

Thubans in my opinion are better than Denebs all around. I will be honest, my 1090T/CHIV combo has been the PC I've enjoyed the most using. Just feels fast and snappy around windows. Leaving benchmarks aside, it games and does everything just as good or better than any of my Intel's, past or present. That's just what I do though, I don't really do anything CPU intensive other than crunching.