1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, Nice hint. I don't remember him having that one. I'm looking at one he has up now but I need the little money I have to go to other things.

Can't wait to see what that new rig is gonna do.
    Norton says thanks.
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    When I saw it announced I was going to PM him for dibs :laugh: He's got plenty of my money already- although that Phantek cooler looks interesting...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockout:

All of the updates are done, WCG is loaded and running, and I'm sending this post from it!

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

Now to find a spot to put it and see how many ppd I can get out of it :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Guys I have two P4 machines sitting around here at my place, suggestions? At this point I'd love to get them up and crunching but I have no place to put them.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    So, my G41M-S3 decided to play dead Friday night after testing an HD 5770 in it with FurMark. Discovered the CMOS battery was dead so I swapped that and it still wouldn't come back to life. Took it on a 30 minute car ride home, take it out of the case and it decides to work again.

Then, I installed F@H and WCG remotely on my 990FX Extreme4 (460/550Ti/440 crammed in there) and it was working fine, clicked "Restart" on the WCG install window to finish it and lost contact with the machine completely. I'm a bit scared to see what state it's in when I get back to it, as I have no idea if it's been "powered on" the whole time but stuck on UEFI or something, or if something blew up. Nobody's been around to check on it for over a day because it's the damn weekend, so that's 2 rigs down for me, not including me ripping my AMD cards out of my dad's office machine so that's more like 3.

All I have running at the moment is my Thuban + GTX 460, PDC E6600 and a Phenom 9750 in addition to my home desktop. Sucks when rigs do this dumb crap when you work on them remotely and can't press the power button.
  6. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Not a good chose, bad producers and no/little OC in a server board. If you do want to ramp up your production get a i2600 or a AMD FX 8150. See link for details. Remember to times the number in the far right column with the numbers of cores/threads.
    http://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/host/breakdown/cpu/22175/12/0
    JrRacinFan, Daimus and Norton say thanks.
  7. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    I come home from 12+ hours of work to find my 2600k with the code of death. All fans running keeping the bich cool. I think she just had that time of the month.

Your rig should be just fine. Just give it a good hit like it took you're last beer.:laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Norton says thanks.
  9. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Bud but I'm done for now, the hardware fund is negative for a while (with 2 exceptions for next month)- my next steps are going to be recruiting for new members for the team and eventually an Opty server.... maybe :p

**EDIT- FX-8120's are available at NewEgg for $169 with a $15 gift card (net $154), FX-8150's are $199 w/$10 gift card (net $189) **
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
    Daimus, JrRacinFan and mjkmike say thanks.
  10. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I got my old rig up and running finally. I tried setting it up fresh install but it wouldn't read from usb. So I took old hdd from main rig that still had my os install on it and surprise, it booted right up. I still need to configure it to run at 100%. I also have it folding. I'm hoping I'll get a lil jump in numbers at least.
    Daimus and Norton say thanks.
  11. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys- going out with wifey tonight.

Can someone post the daily numbers, stones, and pie for me?

I'll be back late- I'll post what I can if no one grabs them for me.

Thanks in advance! :toast:
  12. Daimus

Daimus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do not worry, I'll do it.

EDIT:
    I could not find only WCG Daily Numbers, sorry... Can someone post the daily numbers?
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Daimus says thanks.
  14. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    WTH, my Thuban rig decided to disappear sometime today at work. I really want to get to work tomorrow if possible and see why my two biggest machines have gone down. I've never experienced these problems in the many months I've had a farm going, ever. My crappy ASRock refurb machines that only crunch are the only two machines "alive" at the moment, which is a bummer. :(
    Daimus says thanks.
  15. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Damn that sucks :(

I need to bring 2 rigs out into other areas soon and I hope I don't run into these issues...

good luck on getting those rigs back up and crunching- hoping it's only something minor.....
    Daimus says thanks.
  16. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I hope so too. Considering I have spent $500 in the last week on stuff for my farm, it would be a huge slap in the face to have more dead hardware. A brand new motherboard, practically new 1045T on a 2mo old motherboard and all 4 of my 400 series NVIDIA cards are in "unknown" status. I set all the BIOSes to power on upon power failure on Friday hoping to prevent such issues, but a random power surge that is of the right length can lock up a system in the "on" state and it will never reboot.

My first rig (with brand new mobo that ran a day) disappeared Friday night after commanding it to restart after installing WCG. Maybe I screwed up the boot priority and it's stuck in UEFI which will be quite infuriating but better than hardware death.

My second rig was running all day Saturday and through Sunday morning, but went offline sometime during the day with no known user intervention.

The other "clunkers" (which are physically located next to the unknown machines and share the network hub and power mains) have been up for 2.5 days since I restarted them Friday after changing the power state settings on them.
    Daimus says thanks.
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Oooookay, got to work today. 990FX Extreme4 was stuck on POST screen with code A3 - IDE Enable. Pressing the reset button made it boot up properly.

Biostar A780L3B was turned on but blacked out. Pressing the reset button made it boot up properly.

I don't think I can facepalm any harder.
    ChaoticAtmosphere and Daimus say thanks.
  18. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just be glad they are working man. :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's true. I wish I had some sort of remote controller that I could wire all the power and reset buttons of my rigs to, and activate the buttons if a rig goes offline. Maybe I just had bad luck this weekend because of the crappy weather shaking the power lines outside or whatever lol.
  20. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I'm baaaccccckkkkk. Systems are back up and crunching. I did lose one star though. Oh well I'll get it back in a few.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Welcome back! I swapped the 1045T rig's PSU today as I think that was causing the black screen of death I was experiencing.

Also, Mad Shot, I've had fun with your A8N-E over the weekend. Apparently I have a crappy Toledo 4400+ (~2.4GHz) and an amazing Toledo 4400+ that does ~2.9GHz with volts (currently at 2.8, 255*11, 1.4v in BIOS). Also took off the NB cooler yesterday, oiled the fan and put new paste on. :)

I was surprised to see my good Toledo score a 6.0 in WEI. :twitch:
    Daimus and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  22. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Cool deal bud. Glad to see you are getting some use out of the board. If' I would have kept the board all it would have done is collected dust in my closet. :toast:
    Jstn7477 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Weather has been horrible here too, had one rig off for a few days and my main rig off here and there. Screw that, not risking it. But got them all back now that the weather seems to have gotten a little better.

Welcome back! :)
    brandonwh64 and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Well guys! I have another cruncher to add to the party! Jr worked a deal with me on his old I3-530 and motherboard so another 4 thread are coming to the party!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Nice farm you are cooking up there! :rockout::toast:

I'm counting 20 cores/26 threads total, is that right?