1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    The GPU will destroy Beta HCC GPU WUs :cool: Haven't seen one since last month though :(
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Of course, I had forgotten all about the GPU WUs....until they make them more regular, I'm just going to keep my GPUs doing FAH I think
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    It's what I had on the shelf... gave up a few lower spec'd cards to Team members

Will probably see how 3.8Ghz w/2400 NB does- that Dark Knight will keep it cool up to at least 4Ghz

Is that BOINCView similar to Team Viewer? It looks interesting enough to try on my setup :)

** EDIT- and what theonedub said- 68xx cards do awesome on GPU beta's :rockout: **
    [Ion] and Daimus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    TeamViewer is a way of remotely controlling a PC--like Remote Desktop Connection on WindowsXP and beyond.
    BOINCView is a way of combining the BOINCs of multiple different computers together into one window on one PC, and then controlling them all from that central point. It might be useful for folks like you with a ton of PCs. The stumbling-block is that they all have to be on the same network.

EDIT: Points are going to be down a bit today, the i7 rebooted itself for Windows Updates and BSOD'd in the process. I think Turbo boost might still be enabled, and while it's stable 1 bin over the OC settings, I'm not sure how stable it is 3 bins over my OC settings. Will investigate tonight :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Norton

Thanks Received:
    @ion- Thanks will need to look into that a bit more :toast:

I'm going to go through a reconfigure of my systems again with a new one coming online soon and will be moving 2 or 3 out of the house and over to another site. I'm confirmed on a network connection at the second site cuz I'm using it right now to write this :D

My ppd is going to start moving all over the place for the next week or two but the end result will be positive.... my baseline ppd should be at least 16-18,000 when all is done. :toast:
    F150_Raptor, [Ion] and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I still have the I7-920 down for now until I receive my new thermal paste from Diamond. I will then install the air cooler and get it OCing back to 4Ghz.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to look into BOINCView for my machines. All of them besides 2 are on the same network, and TeamViewer doesn't like me logging into my computers a lot remotely because it thinks I am using their product commercially. Guess what TeamViewer, I've basically donated thousands of dollars in computing time to F@H and WCG, so you can take your $3200 license and shove it up your ass.

In other news, college is back in session and I won't be able to tweak my rigs as often as I was able to. Last week, I had to lower the overclocks on both my FX-8150 and i7-870 by 200MHz to either cool them down (FX-8150) or remain stable (i7-870) because for some reason the i7 won't seem to run properly at 3.8GHz anymore. Hopefully I can lower the voltage a bit on the i7 at that frequency, but it was running at about 68-70c at 3.6GHz.
  8. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm thats odd. I have all my machines at home (even my wifes machine) on LAN teamviewer and it works great! Did you go to the options and activate LAN connections? Once you have this done you can connect using the IP address instead of their ID's
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    TeamViewer seems nice. But since I only have two of them, I just use log me in and I can log in through my phone and all. So that works for me. :)
    ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
  10. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, that's a very comfortable boost in your PPD...congrats! :toast: :rockout:
    Where are you putting the other systems?
    I really recommend it. For only two or three computers, it probably isn't that useful (it does take some fighting with to get configured--perhaps I should create a guide), but if you have a lot, it is great. No need to remote-control a PC just to check on BOINC or force an update.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Same Here, I created an account and on my main computer when I open Teamviewer I have all 4 computers showing online, no password required. If you do it this way Justin they will not think you are using it commercially. All your rigs are registered and have all the same IP address.
  12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Installing xp64 on the 1090t machine now. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    4GHz was too much for even my trusty Big Typhoon to handle... but I did manage to get it slightly over 3.8GHz with 1.375v... acceptable temps. So between my 920 and my 1090t I now have 14 threads for Team TPU, and they're not exactly slow either... :toast:
    Daimus, Norton and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    :toast:

With all that, you should be at close to 8k PPD, right?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    The estimator says the 920 at 3.8GHz should do 4800. It's at 2600 right now according to BOINC, still climbing. The x6 should do 4000 at 3.8GHz. I'm pretty sure the x6 should be able to rise to its full potential no problem, but my 920 is a bit different. I play games on it and such, that bears down on its wcg performance... though I've been playing with my PS2 a lot the past few days, maybe I can continue to do so.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Top 20 here you come. :toast:
  17. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps... depends how much I use my 920. Trying to keep myself occupied with the PS2 so I can just let it go :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I've been making myself game on the Intel HD4000 in my laptop so that my GTX460 is free for FAH...the things we do for DC :roll:

I've found someone who is interested in running WCG on his Core i7-2670QM laptop, we'll be getting it set up either tomorrow or Thursday (too much Calculus HW tonight, apparently). I'm working on a few other guys to see if they would be interested in crunching as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
    Chicken Patty and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    That's kick ass man, hopefully you can get a few to join us :toast:

...and yes the things we do for DC. With the amount of heat I put up with at times, don't be surprised when my username is switched to "Fried Chicken".
  20. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Damn, another random BSOD during SUPCOM 2 again. This time it was a x50, and not a x101 or x124. Supposedly increase vtt. I don't get it... 200 passes of LinX while most only run 20 and I still get a BSOD in SUPCOM2 of all things. Wasn't even running BOINC in the background at the time. Maybe it's doing this because I went from a 720a chipset, then a 770t, then x58 without reformatting?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    That could very well do it. I had issues when I switched mobos until I reinstalled windows.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Hm, maybe I'll upgrade the hard drive and reinstall when it comes.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Well got my new rig started up last night and everything is running except for the HDD. The existing drive has XP 32bit running on it and it doesn't seem to like the hardware swap and keeps rebooting during startup. :banghead:

I pulled the 2.5" drive out of my external and installed it in the new rig temporarily. I'll put Windows 8 on that one tonight and see how it does :)
    [Ion] and Daimus say thanks.
  24. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Definitely unless it's same chipset/board, I would reformat.
  25. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Well Last night I cleaned out my PC closet and found all the hardware for my CPU cooler that will go on the I7-920 but I am lacking two good fans :(
    Crunching for Team TPU