1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Really? What does it read? :confused:

I had forgotten that the 965BE was a 125w chip. I wouldn't actually be surprised if my 2700k was running right about the stock power usage. KieX said that it would do 4.7GHz with an idle GTX560Ti and still draw just under 150w @ the wall ;)

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Most AMD systems won't read power consumption actively in HWMonitor. In fact, The only CPU I have seen an active reading on is my 2600K. The rest seem to receive an "educated guess" depending on the multiplier and voltage at that instant.

This tool is awesome: http://extreme.outervision.com/tools.jsp#cpuoc

It says your 3.9GHz 965BE C3 at 1.45v is using 165w.

[Ion], Daimus and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    As I remember one of my i970 pulls around 1,200,000 W or mayby it was only 120,000 W so don't trust these readings.

Edit: With a sleeping GTX 680 and three fans and a SSD it pulls 255 W from the wall (+87 PSU) at 100 % fold/crunch

[Ion] says thanks.
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yep as justin said, its best to use a inline power meter to judge the systems wattage usage.

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    That makes a lot more sense.

6. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Great tool! :rockout:

If I go by the voltage this board sets in auto (3.4@ 1.47v) vs my current voltage (3.9@ 1.43v) then the calculator says it's at 136w. This chip is running the same temps at both settings :)

* I'm going to have to throw one of those Kill a Watt meters in the cart next time I pick something up @NewEgg

ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  7. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't like being 70c+ my self. I'll have a screen out there in the living rm soon (hopefully) and can monitor them esp that 720 thats still bsod'ing. I decided to turn the ac back on since the living rm was warm itself and the pc is just recirculating that hot air so its not gonna get any cooler. Its cooling off some now and still running. I doubt5 wc'ing will get me much cooler maybe a few deg's. We'll see.

8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    It's cool enough outside now I have had my a/c off for a couple days and temps seem good. Fall is here. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    EOV is estimating 121w for the i7...not bad really. It says the Lynnfield i7 is drawing about the same wattage...Intel really struck a gold mine with SB.
    It's amazing. We can't actually even turn off the AC here, but I do have the window open and it's considerably cooler. I can't wait for winter :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had my ac off with the windows open when it was raining and it felt amazing in here but the living rm was still a lil toasty lol. If I had some extra fans to put in living rm window that woulda helped alot. So windows closed and ac back on lol.

11. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    The tool shows 46W for my little bittle A6. :p

And really could be nice to get a thing to measure the power draw. :S

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is what I got so far. Its running behind since it kept shutting down. I just got done doing some sys/utility updates and got her going again. Also remember the temps are on air under a Tt Frio OCK with wcg running 100% I'm hoping water will let me stabalize a lil better so it won't need ac running constant cause that is getting really expensive.

[​IMG]

13. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure Turbo is even worth running? You could disable it and do 173*22 for 3.8GHz. My 870 crashed again on Friday and I can't reach it until Tuesday, but I'm confident I will have it running stable at either 1.337v core/1.275v VTT or 1.325v core/1.3v VTT once I find out which voltage was responsible. Had it running fine at 1.337v core/1.3v VTT @ 3.8GHz but like a dumbass I decided to lower it a notch before the 3 days I can't touch it and it crashed. I think I'll just leave the damn thing at 1.337v/1.3v so I can stop bleeding points and wasting a nice machine.

14. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't spent alot of time figuring out how to oc this one. I could try that one day when I get a monitor out there or i get the itch to just move the whole pc to the other rm. I thought about trying to oc genie on it and seeing what that gives me. Not sure if how it works tho. Does it go as high as it can thats it finds stable or just goes a pre-destined bump up but you still need to tweak to get higher? dunno lol.

15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    You're really having the worst luck with that rig :(
    I would argue thought that it wasn't the best time go go messing with the CPU settings ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    If you see something online, on Craigslist, or if you own something that is close to that look send me info (including pics if you have them) via PM.

I would like any OEM Slim mATX case made within the past 2-3 years. The HP Slimline, the Dell Insipron (sp) Slim cases, etc.

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I've just purchased an EVGA X58 board and 2GB of RAM to run in it. I'm going to pick up an i7-920 as soon as I hear back from the seller about his PayPal address :toast:
    I'll pick up a Xigmatek Gaia later on and I'm hoping for ~3.5-4GHz or so, depending on temperatures :)

Daimus, Chicken Patty and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    It's easier to put the Gaia on a socket 1366 board:
    * practice putting on the fans...it gets easier.
    Tips:
    - mount fan(s) after mounting cooler
    - pickup a set of needle nose pliers and a butter knife
    - rubber mounts- put one side on the cooler, one side on the fan
    - lineup and set the fan side mounts first and press in with the backside of the butter knife
    - lineup cooler side mounts and pull thru fan hole with the pliers

[Ion] says thanks.
  19. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Putting the fans on isn't actually too bad. I've gone through the exact same process with the HDT-S1283 that I had on my old C2Q. I can do that no problem. And this system isn't going to be in a case, so it should be even easier to get things set up. We'll see :toast:

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Hope to reboot the i7-870 tomorrow afternoon. I'm just going to say screw it and set it for 1.35v core/1.3v VTT and not mess around with this BSOD BS anymore.

My Opteron 170 also vanished sometime this afternoon so I'll see what's up with that. Hopefully nothing serious happened as the OCZ Platinum Edition DDR (that I will miss dearly) is going to TRWOV for his ultimate socket 478 rig.

[Ion] says thanks.
  21. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with the i7!
    I assume you keep lowering vCore to try and bring temps down a bit?

Might you want to keep the more unstable rigs at home so they're easier to fix? ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I like to run the lowest amount of voltage needed (with a little headroom) for my overclocks. For some reason I keep convincing myself that the 870 can do 3.8 on lower voltage but I suppose I keep forgetting that it's a 45nm chip and the 1156 chips don't seem to have the headroom that the 1366 chips have. At least it isn't a Phenom II that needs 1.45-1.5v for a 3.8-4GHz clock.

23. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Justin, The P55 and X58 chipsets were the first to introduce turbo and combined with that and speed step, it just was not very well for OCing. The best thing is to turn ALL power saving features off leave turbo on if you are using a turbo multi like on the I7 920 I use x21 which is a turbo multi.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I think I've just found an i7, so I will hopefully have the board/CPU/RAM by the end of next week. Then I'd just need to get another PSU from home, so I could have everything running within about three weeks or so :toast:

EDIT: Money is sent for an i7-920. For $170 total, I have 2GB of RAM, an i7-920, and an EVGA X58 SLI motherboard on the way. I think I may want to get some more RAM, as 2GB doesn't seem like all that much for Windows 7 + 8 BOINC tasks.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to carry over my discussion from the pie thread to over here.

Since the rig (x3 720) went down again yesterday. I decided to just move it to the other room for when I get a screen I can just leave it set up and figure out whats wrong with it. I just turned it on after it was running for a il while with fans at ful speed and the mouse/kb wasn't connected and I couldn't shut it down via power pins. I happen to look around the massive havik 140 and forgot the cpu power plug lol. Plugged it in and figured what the heck. I'll try turning it on again. Behold, the wlan connected. I guess it was having issues connecting from where it was. I had it under my tv stand by the door on the floor. Don't worry, it was on a box lol.

So I'm gonna watch it closely time to time and see if it drops or restarts again. Fingers crossed. When I get the monitor, I'll run stability tests out the wazzoo and see if I can find any issues and post my findings here.

Just figured I'd give you guys an update. I know alot of you who have been following this knows I've been having my hand full of issues with it lol.

BUCK NASTY, [Ion] and Daimus say thanks.