1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, that was in response to catnipkiller asking if anyone was having trouble pulling CPU work units. He edited it out before you saw the post and quoted.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Ahh, and he found out to expand the number of projects..I just hoped that you found the golden solution to get new GPU units :eek:

Ninja...

Edit: No fun updating anymore with only 1 new unit returned every 7-8 minute. Going from +3000/day to 200/day is painful.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    t_ski says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I officially hate economy shipping methods. My RAM still isn't here and it would have cost $7 to ship via UPS, but somehow having DHL ship it to USPS who then ships it to me is "free." Of course they couldn't ship it with all the other stuff either as it was in "a different warehouse."
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes (actually most of the time) I enjoy to live in a small country. If I order before 3 pm I get it next morning. I did have the pleasure of using UPS when I lived in Hawaii and I'm glad to be back. Don't get me started on USPS :cry: I hope that you get your RAM tomorrow :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice to here from you Arjai. Keep in touch buddy!
    Arjai says thanks.
  6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I feel like such an idiot now. I discovered that the reason my 3770K was running mid 90s on the cores and throttling heavily with 105c on the package during IBT was because of the stupid adjustable bolt at the center of the Hyper 212 EVO not being set properly. I just now rotated the nut clockwise until it stopped and my temps went down like 20-30C. Glad I left thermal throttling enabled in UEFI and I hope I didn't f*ck over my brand new chip.

Now maybe I can actually overclock this thing without being stuck at pathetic voltages.
    [Ion], Chevalr1c, Norton and 1 other person say thanks.
  7. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Whoa! Scary :eek: I normally run realtemp or coretemp in background setup to do an autoshutdown if the cores reach 70c. Those temps are crazy for 22nm, hope there's no permanent damage from that.
    Jstn7477 says thanks.
  8. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like it was trying to protect itself. If it damaged the chip wouldn't it still gives you issues after you got it tightened down?

Try a Xig Night Hawk at some point- all you need to do is tighten down the crossbar and your good to go :cool:
    Jstn7477 says thanks.
  9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Aaand now my 1 year old Corsair Force 3 120GB might be dead. It is intermittently showing up in UEFI and Windows either doesn't boot or gets to a blank screen right before the login window. Figures me restarting the computer an insane number of times probably finished it off. :cry:
  10. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Hey, my Corsair ssd just died on me too. What a coincidence.... except mine was a 64gb Nova lol
    Jstn7477 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    RMA request sent, hope to hear back from them soon and I can get back up and running. For now, I just reinstalled Windows on my 500GB Seagate Momentus XT laptop drive that I just replaced with a Scorpio 750GB in my laptop.
  12. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I hope we all had a fun and feast-ly Turkey Day, here in the Us, and a plain old Great day to the rest of the world-ly TPU-er's!

I am currently at my sister's place with my nephew and a couple of his friends, getting ready to chow down, again! I had a huge lunch of Turkey and fixin's at the Mission a few hours ago, a nap, and now it's round two with family and friends!

Football has been a bit more interesting than I thought it would today. The crazy overtime win by Houston was a heart attack game with two missed field goals in overtime! Now, Washington is handing it to Dallas, sorry Dallas fans, as a Viking fan (Purple Blooded) I get a warm fuzzy when Dallas looses.

Then, in a little more than an hour, NE and the Jets! Hopefully the Jets can make a game of it against Brady and company but, it's hard to predict what the Jets are capable of, this year.

Anyways, of the things I am thankful for:
    TPU, in general, and the WCG Team, in particular, are right near the top of the list. Thanks to everyone here for all their help to me and many other virtual strangers that have the luck to show up here. I don't say things like this but, I feel like I may end up a "Lifer" here. It is really rare to find a community so willing to help with this sort of knowledge and not be talked down to due to ignorance. I have really learned a lot from you all here and for that,

a HUGE THANK YOU!!

:toast:
    okidna, stinger608, gopal and 9 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Hey Arjai!!!

Good to see you still hanging in there :toast:

and Thank You for sharing your perseverance in the face of all you have gone through over the past year... I truly :respect: your spirit! :)
    Arjai says thanks.
  14. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We are glad to have met you bud, we wish you the best and happy thanksgiving!
    Arjai and mjkmike say thanks.
  15. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Same here Arjai, glad to have met you and have a happy turkey day buddy.
    Arjai says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    :eek:
    That's really wicked hot! o_O
    At least it's fixed now :toast:

I don't think you would have damaged it--CPUs are remarkably resilient :)
    You're just having the worst of luck... :(
    A Happy Thanksgiving to you too, and it's a privilege to have you :toast:

I've found a buyer for one of my HPs and perhaps my C2D, so that would finance another rig or GPU :toast:
    stinger608, Jstn7477 and Arjai say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Hardware casualties this month:

2 PSUs (though they still sorta work, they are really old and should have been tossed out a long time ago. Used them on the "clunkers" until I got a few more PSUs)
    Seagate 250GB 2.5" drive from 2008: Bad sectors proliferated and corrupted parts of the Minecraft map my makeshift home server was running. Replaced with an original 2004 36GB Velociraptor and a 2003 40GB WD IDE backup drive (both drives are NOISY but have zero errors)
    Corsair SSD: Works for about 20 seconds and gives the solid HDD light of death.
    GTX 470: Code 43, enough said.
  18. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I just borrowed a AII X2 220 from a friend to test out a really old AM2 board I had(the old gigabte one that i painted years ago) turns out she is working perfectly fine. After i get the i7 rig done i will be getting a AII x4 to put in it and crunch on it as well
    brandonwh64, [Ion] and mjkmike say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    :toast:

That's awesome--glad you kept it around! And an AII X2 or PhII X4 is really affordable now (I scored an X4 965 BE for $65 shipped! :D)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure if this has been shared yet but I saw this posted a little bit ago on the WCG forums in regards to HCC GPU WUs:
    The clock is ticking........ :rockout:
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    Norton, [Ion], mstenholm and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  21. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Well, my 2 2*8GB kits of G.Skill Sniper 1866 CL10 finally arrived today. Got them for $60 each on Newegg and one set went into my 2600K rig (totally overkill for Ubuntu) and the other set goes into my former FX-8150 rig that is replacing my mom's PC. I would have considered putting them in my new 3770K rig but I have older 4*4GB 2133 Ripjaws in there and they work at their rated speed (my 2600K refused to do 2133 on the RAM).
  22. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Bringing down my 3xcore for today going to try and oc it a bit due to no WU's and its weak output.
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  23. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    Just put two HIS 7770 into my 3930k, also picked up another 3930k for $399 at Memory Express.:)

All I need now is another paycheck for a X79 board.:rockout::rockout::rockout:
    Chicken Patty, [Ion] and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    One of my clunkers is offline (the 4400+ 939 machine) with what I think is another bad hard drive. Rebooted it and it drops to shell and spews a bunch of errors about processes timing out or something. HDD is a 10yo Seagate 80GB and it looks like it has 8 bad sectors so far. I still have a few IDE drives hanging around so replacing it isn't a problem if the HDD is responsible. Scanning it with HDTune Pro on my X3210 rig currently.
    [Ion] says thanks.
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! That's really an impressive collection! :toast:
    So what will you have going now?
    Sorry you've lost something else :(
    At least youc an get it fixed easily :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU