1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, my output is going to be down for at least a little while. I've switched my 2 GTX460s back over to Folding@home. Their performance on WCG was weak--maybe ~7k PPD per card, compared to just over 100k/card on Folding@home. So I should be down about 14-15k PPD, at least for now. Maybe if I sell one of these HPs I'll throw an ATI card in one of the other ones.
    KieX, Daimus, BUCK NASTY and 4 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    My numbers will down because i was a drunk ass and fogot to let the old x79 rig crunch after pulling mem for the new rig. Also new rig is almost done, better numbers coming soon.:)
    KieX, Daimus, [Ion] and 4 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Ice had too mvch too drink tonight but good job teM!!!
    KieX, mjkmike, Daimus and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can somebody make sure he makes it to bed safely? Don't worry about me, I'm gonna sleep right here...:D I gotta good fire going.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    Aquinus, stinger608 and Daimus say thanks.
  5. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    I guess you're right. x2 WU per core is too much for the good old Phenom. In addition to this, one of the GPU's uses PCI-E x4 slot, it can somehow affect, I suppose.

Stay safe gentelman:laugh: What the festival was for everyone yesterday, if I may ask? Or just a celebration of another weekend?:laugh:

@Buck
    Your fireplace looks great, especially nice for a cold winter day.:toast:
  6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I might be grabbing a 7970 or somesuch for my main machine. After getting a 120hz monitor, I now feel compelled to get some serious graphics power to actually push out that high of a framerate. I suppose the 5870 would then go in the secondary system, replacing the gtx260.
    KieX, [Ion] and mjkmike say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Grrr. Last night my wife closed BOINC and didn't re-open it when I told her specifically to only let it snooze. :mad:
  8. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not condoning violence, but something must be done:roll:!

[​IMG]
    manofthem and Aquinus say thanks.
  9. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I'm good, the wife made sure I was taken care of last night, though she wasn't too happy about it. It was my bro's 5th year anniversary party, and I was making lots of drinks, went through lots of bottles.... Mixed drinks, frozen drinks, on the rocks, the wild turkey, and it catches up to you.

But that was last night, this is Sunday and time to take the family to breakfast :toast:
    KieX, mjkmike, Daimus and 4 others say thanks.
  10. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to take my i7-920/HD7770 rig offline for probably an hour to an hour and a half today--I'm going to finally install it in the Source 210 I bought several weeks back. No need to have a BNIB case just sitting here...
    manofthem, Norton, KieX and 4 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Slightly off-topic.. wondering if anyone else can give me some input on the ATI cards?

The XFX 7950 crunches around 71C with a quiet 49% fan speed at 1000MHz core. I tried playing FarCry3 yesterday with it and the temperatures rocketed up to 80C with a loud 63% fan speed at a lower 900Mhz core.

Bit confused by that: gaming runs hotter than crunching? This also runs almost 20C hotter than the ASUS ones, so wondering if there's a safe limit to these 79xx temps?
  12. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I've noticed that WCG just isn't that hard on GPUs. On my nV cards, for example, at the same fan speed the temperatures under Folding@home are something like 20C higher than WCG. Even on my ATI cards, running the 3 WUs at once, temperatures are lower than playing Portal 2 with everything maxed out. My assumption is just that there parts of the GPU that the game uses but the WCG coding folks haven't figured out how to use.

I know that most GPUs have a thermal limit of either 99C of 105C....if you can keep it sub-80C that sounds totally fine. Obviously the lower the better though...
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Games are most likely using more parts of the GPU where crunching, in particular for the HCC GPU WUs, might be only doing certain kind of math on the GPU, so even if all the compute cores are being used, the entirety of those cores may not.
    Chevalr1c and KieX say thanks.
  14. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Thanks :toast: Guess it makes sense when I see it like that. I just thought it would have been the other way round so that's why I was a little worried.

I have to admit I am starting to miss my 670 for gaming though (sold and used money for 7950).
  15. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    More off topic - I got a XFX 7770 (2 fan thing) and a ASUS 7770 DirectCu. XFX 1000 MHz, 1000 rpm (40 %) 50 C. Asus 1090 MHz, 1000 rpm 40 C (10 %). Sitting in the same open rig doing same thing. In fact the XFX got the better position in slot 4. Back to topic GPU crunching is not putting a lot of strain on the GPU. Folding/gaiming is a lot harder and why did you stray from Asus ? :nutkick:
    KieX says thanks.
  16. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Nice temps on that. As for the XFX.. well.. the case for the main PC is a mATX with a sound card.. didn't really want a 3-slot card in there. Just never expected the difference to be so HUGE! :shadedshu

Think I'll probably end up looking for some after-market cooling, because too late for a return/swap now. Either that or keep playing with noise-cancelling headphones and pretend nothing is happening whilst I have 20fans pointing at the graphics card. :laugh:
    manofthem says thanks.
  17. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    OK temperature is obtained in a 12-15 C workshop. My i7-970 C (W-something) running at 8 of 12 threads is at 40-42 C @ 4.1 GHz air cooled ;)

Yes the Asus takes up a lot of real estate but the cooler is good but if the space is tight then the decision easy.
    KieX says thanks.
  18. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Get used to it, as my XFX 7950 regularly games at 85-87c (1075/1400 1.05v) and crazy loud fans. When I bought it in June it was $325 (a steal at the time) and it was the only brand with a lifetime warranty so I picked one up. I'll be finding a different AIB manufacturer for my next high end card as this XFX DD crap is basically the bare minimum needed to cool the card. It even has a smaller heatsink than the 7970 version despite the shroud and everything being identical.
    KieX says thanks.
  19. KieX

Thanks Received:
    That both makes me sad and happy. Means mine's not exceptionally bad.. but it definitely is bad. Was also a good deal cheaper than the others and on paper the dual fan looks like a good configuration. The few extra ££ for the Asus were well worth it.
  20. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, the i7-920 is now in a case:
    [​IMG]
    It's up and crunching again, although everything is running a little warm :(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Put the cooler in the rear fan port and add the 4 additional fans (2- front, 2-top) and you will be all set ;)
    [Ion] says thanks.
  22. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Can't. The heatsink on the vREGs is so tall that it blocks the radiator going there (barely, but it still does). I tried to put it in the top--there's just not enough space between the top of the case and the motherboard.

And I already have two fans in the top--two Rosewills. I was thinking of putting the cooler on the bottom, but I don't think that the tubes are long enough (even if I rotate the block) and there isn't much airflow under the bottom of the case. And on the front there isn't space for push/pull :(
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Will it mount outside of the case either in the rear or the top?

You won't be able to use the side panel but at least you will have the cooler at an optimal orientation and have the heat leaving the case....
    [Ion] says thanks.
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That would almost certainly work. But particularly since this is the system I'm bringing home for winter break, I'd like to have it fully assemble-able. I think that with the 3 120mm fans exhausting it should be fine. It's certainly not ideal like this--I will see what can be done. If it wasn't a sealed loop then I would be able to run the tubes through the top expansion slot--but no way to do that with this setup, unfortunately :ohwell:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Not sure how much space you have, but you could try mounting one fan of the rad inside the 3x optical drive bay, and have the rad in that small gap to the motherboard. Something I learnt recently

Edit: that's how my H100 is mounted on the elysium: http://img.techpowerup.org/121119/DSC_0142.jpg
    (granted more space and a HDD rack.. but you get the idea. zip ties are your friend)