1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Wow, your case looks like the delivery guy used it as a chair lol. Good luck with the RMA and hopefully you get a replacement case soon. In the meantime (if you don't have kids or pets that would interfere with it), you should throw your setup together on top of the motherboard box and at least make sure the rest of the stuff works, and maybe get it set up while waiting for the case. :)

EDIT: Also, my Mushkin Chronos 240GB arrived today. We'll see how it runs once I reload Windows from an image, as I can't clone from a bigger drive to a smaller drive with PartedMagic. :(
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Mindweaver says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Meh, tis' but a mere Flesh Wound!

[​IMG]

Seriously, that case is Fubar'd. I too know the feeling of anticipating new hardware, only to start the RMA process upon opening the boxes. Hope it is speedily replaced!
    KieX and Mindweaver say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    RMA is handled and UPS has picked it up and it out bound. :toast: I'll start putting it together case less tomorrow. :toast:
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I turned down the GTS 450's to two WU's
    BUCK NASTY and KieX say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I sold a Core 2 Quad system today and I'll be selling another one tomorrow, so my plans are to order a HD7950 next week to have it arrive just when I'm home from our family trip.
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet!!

Crap:(

:toast::toast::toast:
    Love that movie (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)~~~

Why wouldn't you???:)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    update on the Ivy Bridge build. Picked up some Mushkin Blackline RAM http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=612&item_id=044295. At my computer store they are selling a 3570 non K for $180 and I'm hoping to grab one of those. After that all i need is a PSU and eventually a SSD and GFX, but with a PSU i can at least get the rig up and crunching.
    Norton and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like progress! How much more is the k edition? If it's like 10-15% or so it seems worthwhile to me.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    its not on sale on boxing day @ $230. I think this is a better deal as im cash strapped and could use the $50 towards something to make the wife happy :p

With tax the K is almost $265, whereas the non K is $205 with taxes. I can still hit 4ghz with the limited o/c ing of the reg i5's and thats more than acceptable for me.
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    4GHz is certainly very good, and I'm all in favor of promoting harmony among spouses :)
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Working on it now! :toast: I'll post pic's when I'm done. :toast:

EDIT:
    Just finished up, and I got a new toy today as well... Since, I don't get pie any more I bought some PI!.. HEHEHE :toast:

Cruncher
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Raspberry PI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    [Ion], Norton, KieX and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The wife and I are heading to Cancun for our honeymoon:)
    I left the rigs crunching!!! It is currently about -10F so I am not worried about heat. The wife and I are looking forward to some warm weather:toast:
    Merry Christmas to all the TPU crunchers:toast::toast::toast:
    [Ion], Chevalr1c, Mindweaver and 8 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Would really appreciate a prayer, and what ever you want towards my mom, who comes back from cancer treatment no1 tomorrow. Please crunch HCC.
    NHKS, [Ion], Chevalr1c and 10 others say thanks.
  14. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a blast! Congrats to you both and enjoy the honeymoon :D : D

Sorry to hear it mate; you have out support, thoughts, and prayers. I've been crunching away on HCC since joining for reasons just like this. It's horrible to see people always fighting cancer so hopefully we can help fight along with them by crunching.
    Mindweaver says thanks.
  15. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    You got it buddy! :toast: I hope they get it all, and she has a speedy recovery. I can tell you now that the best treatment the family can offer is laughter, and staying in good spirits during this time. Cancer treatment is rough.. Good Luck!
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Leaving my uni halls for the holidays, leaving the pc running. Gonna close every other program in task manager and leave it running 'til the 7th :)
    Mindweaver and Norton say thanks.
  17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I wish her the best :respect:

I have 13 GPU WUs doing HCC as we speak :toast:
    Well, it's pretty cool that they let you run it over break--at my university, they cut power the afternoon that we leave.

I'll be trying the new app_config soon :toast:
    Mindweaver says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
    My wishes for a speedy recovery. Take good care of her..
  19. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    What I'm are doing wrong here? I got two 7770s that until yesterday were in an 64 WIN7 rig running under 7.0.28. Since Santa left two 7970s on my door step I swapped GPUs. No problem there. The problem is their new home - two XP 32 bit rigs that at least for the one had run a NVidia card for some GPU crunching. Now I get the message no worthy GPU present (my translation from Danish). AMD drivers is installed but NVidia were left there at first. Upgrade to 7.0.28 form 6.10.58. Same thing. Deleted the NVidia drivers. Same thing. Needless to say I re-booted the rigs plenty of times and told the client that I do want to use my GPU. Windows have no problem seeing that I'm running AMD but Boinc can't. I simply don't have the GPU option (Activities drop down). Any clues? Delete all drivers and re-install AMD?
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  20. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Wish her all the best. As Mindweaver said, one of the most important things is to be there and keep the spirits up. :toast:

AMD removed OpenCL support for XP from SDK2.6 onwards. Try the downloads on this page: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/sdkdwnld.aspx

Otherwise look for an older Catalyst driver, which should have the older SDK packaged.
    Mindweaver and mstenholm say thanks.
  21. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I tried 11.8 with SDK2.5. It didn't work either. I think that my folding rig is going to be the host and my decommissioned e8400 will be helping my GTX 680 for at least some folding.

Edit:
    Done, at least the installing newest versions of Catalyst and BOINC on my folding rig. The two 7770s are back in action each running 4 WU with a full 4,05 GHz "core".
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    KieX says thanks.
  22. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Tonight (within an hour or two) I will leave my student room to go to my parents for about a week. I will be back in Tilburg at sunday evening (tennish CET), so there will be less crunching for that period because leaving my Athlon II PC (I have got there, standing in my bedroom) crunching overnight leads to conflict with my parents (which I can understand, because there is no fire alarm there and PSUs can do weird stuff, it is said). During the day it will crunch a bit however, so there should still be some output of PPD (rough estimate, 100-200 Cobblestones per day).

For safety reasons and because I did not setup my main system to be remotely controllable, I will turn it off.
    Norton and KieX say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    So, my friend got her system put together on Friday with several hours of my help over Skype, but the next morning the effing 2010 Seagate 500GB laptop drive I had sent (which checked out perfectly when I built the computer) crapped out (only boots into Safe Mode and HDD has End-to-End Error Detection problems which has given it Failed status in HDTune). I am beyond pissed off at Seagate but it is what it is. She can't afford to purchase a drive so I'm going to have to suck it up and send her another hoping it actually survives the trip from FL to NY. :(
    Chevalr1c and Norton say thanks.
  24. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    That really sucks.... sometimes stuff like that happens when you do something nice*

*Hint- it's a test ;) Karma rewards for those who let the aggravation pass quietly and just take care of it :)

As far as HDD's go, I've been nearly trouble free with WD drives and have no plans on switching to anything else until that changes.
  25. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I think I'm going to send one of my 3yo Samsung F1 1TB to her. They seem somewhat reliable and mine have seen gentle usage over the years. Luckily the Dimension E520 my dad let me finally have freed up two of my hard drives, a 250GB Seagate and 500GB WD Green, but I'm weary of sending those.