1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    So Santa has been nice to us this year - I expect we hit 20 M/day in a few days once the new GPUs are tuned in. I still have to figure out why my two 7770s performed better doing 2x4 GPU units @ 925 MHz in one i7 970 rig than running 1050 GHz in an other i7 970 rig (still 2x4, about same clock, same amount of RAM) but with 4 CPUs WU running at the same time. ?? No errors, number of pending validation about the same.
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I was just finishing up a giveaway that Mindweaver and I threw together, along with help from others, and I stumbled upon extra Steam codes: Bioshock and Bioshock 2, as well as a few for Metro 2033. If anyone on the team wants one of the codes, let me know and they're yours! Thanks guys :)
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    I hate you, mate :D Everytime you look around, you stumbled upon extra STEAM keys :laugh::laugh:
    manofthem says thanks.
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Norton and [Ion] say thanks.
  5. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    One down (Cezch National Team) and 17 to go. The next team (BOINC@Taiwan) is only 18 days away but from there on we need to tweak our current hardware since Santa is no longer in town. Santas evil twin just sent me a $1300 utility bill for the past 3 months so I doubt there is room for any upgrades in the near future. :ohwell:
    [Ion], Norton and BUCK NASTY say thanks.
  6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Oh, upgrades and tweaks are still in store--I have another 80k+ PPD coming Monday, and Norton has GPUs on the way too. And I may need to get another GPU or two for the Xeon DP setup ;)
    mstenholm says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    I'm new on the team got my home server crunching 24/7 on it. Will be upgrading to a dual CPU hog very soon can take on maybe 6 WU + some GPU units
    mstenholm, [Ion] and Norton say thanks.
  8. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Welcome aboard-:toast:

Feel free to post in this thread if you have any questions
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I've now purchased the CPUs/motherboard/RAM/HSFs for a dual Xeon E5420 system (2.5GHz, quad-core, 12mb L2 cache) w/ 8GB of RAM. I'd imagine it should get ~6k PPD running Linux--and for $75 it was too good to pass up. I'm planning on using a 350w Antec PSU, a 150GB WD Raptor (have to wait for it to come back from RMA) and then hopefully a HD7850 in a couple weeks :toast:

Does anyone know what's happened to HammerON? I saw that his output has plummeted :(
    HammerON says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Just for fun guys: Last week was snow + freezing rain, and now, look at this in Quebec:

Early in the morning, from my office at the ground floor
    [​IMG]

Someone's car
    [​IMG]

My neightbor car
    [​IMG]

At 6:00pm, in my father's driveway
    [​IMG]

Half way done, the other side had snow of about 5 1/4 feet tall..

:)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The wife and I are in Cancun for our honeymoon (and a break from the cold:)):
    [​IMG]
    I left both rigs running and saw my numbers declining starting the 23rd. Have no idea what is going on and am not going to worry about it until I get back home on Jan. 1st or 2nd. Curious on what is going on as a neighbor of mine checked and said the rigs were running and the modem and router seemed to be fine. But I didn't want to bother him any further.
    Oh well. I will be back soon:)

Man - I do not miss the snow right now. I heard that we have got about 12 inches so far back home and are expecting more:(
    Norton, Mindweaver, mstenholm and 4 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Reassembled all but one of the rigs I put up for sale, as they may take a while to sell (if they do) and I shouldn't have the slightest bit of impatience about it. Perhaps I'll have some more income soon for another 3770K rig, but I don't want to leave myself broke since college starts back up in a week and I at least want to maintain some spending money. :)
  13. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Man, what a crazy contrast between those pics!!!!!! I'm having a hard time dealing with the cold in Florida, as it's about 54*F right now. I'd take the iguanas :laugh:

PS: those games I mentioned earlier are still available if anyone wants them (Bioshock 1&2 & Metro 2033). If no takers by tomorrow, I'll probably throw them out to the rest of TPU :roll:
  14. n3rdf1ght3r

n3rdf1ght3r

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if you can get boinc running on windows home server 2011? I want to stick my Radeon 6950 into my file server since my dad's using a computer with a 6950 to check his email...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Should work fine. I've BOINCed on Server 2008 and 2008R2 without issue :toast:
    EDIT: No comment about the GPU application, but I imagine that should also work too. Folding@home does.
    n3rdf1ght3r says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I have WHS V1 and ran BOINC on it. I did have a lockup on the server, so I'm not sure what happened there. I decided on taking BOINC off as the PPD was very low anyway and I wanted the backups & sharing to be 100%.
    n3rdf1ght3r says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Love the output im getting on my 7870 :D cant wait to get my other rig up and running so i can use the 6870 to crunch 24/7/365.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys and gals.. It's been a f'd up morning.. I woke up to a flat tire on my truck, and then found my 1055t w/ the new MSI R7770 shut down.. I've been finding this rig shut down every morning.. After inspection I found a burnt spot on the board under the bottom PCI slot between the audio header, and usb headers.... :banghead::banghead: I'll have to wait till next week before I can order a new board.. I've been scoping out the 990FX boards.. :I want to play with one.. :laugh: I found a MSI one with 8gb of ram for $119. The ram goes for $39.99.

What's odd about this board is It will run just fine, but if I let the screen go to sleep then all hell brakes loose.. I have nothing else set to go to sleep. :banghead:

EDIT: Oh and the kicker is I slipped on my back steps and twisted my Knee that I had an ACL replacement done in '09.. Now it has fluid on it and I walk like I'm a crip... :toast: Ahh life.. hehehe if it was easy then everybody would do it.. lol
    Chevalr1c, KieX, [Ion] and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hang in there Mind! It will eventually get better.

:toast:
    Mindweaver says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Norton

Thanks Received:
    How many wu's are you running on it? You can get over 60k with 6 wu's and over 70k with 8 wu's :D

@Mindweaver- just Ouch :twitch:... hoping that knee is feeling better soon....
    Mindweaver says thanks.
  21. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    4 atm, just getting used to it, also i dont really understand how the app file works.... i just copied and pasted the one on the 1st page >_<
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Once those 4 spool up and you see the results you will only want more :D

It's really easy to change the # of wu's once you have setup the app_config.... shut down BOINC, change settings, restart BOINC = Done!*

* most of the time....:eek:
  23. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    You know, I've thought about it several times since I started crunching for WCG 2 years ago, but are there commercially available WCG Bumper Stickers? Anyone know if maybe a forumite somewhere might've made their own design or worked with a printing company to make some? I'm not really the "bumper-sticker type", but I'd make an exception for a worthy cause. I was thinking something like, "Your Computer is Bored; Let it Volunteer." and then the web address. Might catch a few eyes, and realistically, in the world of Ultrabooks and modern PCs (thinking of all those Phenom/Athlon X3 and X4s, and massively underutilized i3, i5, i7s just sitting in towers that are only used for Facebook), people could contribute meaningfully without affecting their user experience significantly on their device. If I remember correctly, WCG's default settings are pretty non-intrusive, which is nice.
  24. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys! The day is starting to get better. :toast: My caffeine levels are a lot better than they were this morning.. lol :roll: So, with the screen not going to sleep it hasn't cut off. :toast: And my tire doesn't have a puncture, but it does have a bend on the inside of the rim.. Aww got to love low profile tires.. I have a Chevy Colorado LS with factory 17" low profile tires.. Soooo, I was sitting there trying to think if I drove off the road any or hit a bump in the road.. and it hit me.. I let my sister drive my truck over the weekend to get my nephew's go-cart.. I did remind her that it's not a U-Haul, and the only hauling it really done was hauling ass... My ass to work.. lol :roll: So, now my brother-in-law(he's a mechanic) is looking for a used factory rim to replace it. :banghead: Oh well life goes on.. lol :toast: One less computer part... :rolleyes:
    Chevalr1c, Norton, KieX and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    HW is HW and it will fail but knees is to be taken serious. I hope take you will be up and running soon.
    Mindweaver says thanks.