1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Apparently I ran out of work. Now I'm stuck uploading and can't download any more work, so it looks I'll be stuck with a little inactivity for a bit :(

Never should have lowered my buffer back a tad :banghead:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Well guys, it's time for me to cut back on crunching. I just can't afford my main rig and my wife's machine to be crunching at their current settings. I'm cutting them back to only 5 hours a day.

Hope to put them back to full blown later on down the road... We'll see what happens.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I have not quit got the grasp on the new rule about GPU work but I think that you should get 5000/GPU in progress. I get 5000 for my lone 7950, 5000 for my 2x7970 and 5000 for my 2x7770. I get what I ask for (time) in my Nvidia mobile and since it only does 30/day I think there is some evaluation before GPU units are sent out (GFLOPS/history) and Nvidia GPU are not included in the 5000 rule. Makes sense since there is no way they would do 5000 in 7 or 10 days. I know that you (manofthem) run 2x7970 and hence should have had 2x5000 or at least 5000 in your buffer so you should, as I still have a few left..!?
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I feel obliged to let everything run--I'm complaining about the impacts of close to 2000w of computers and ~75F outside temperatures (this setup really requires 60F or cooler outside temperatures to be pleasant)
    I'm sorry to hear about that. But you've contributed a lot (thank you for that!), and limitations come up :ohwell:
    Chevalr1c and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear that :( ....Here's hoping a low powered/high output server drops into your lap in the very near future :rockout:

Weird saying "my wife" or "the wife" ain't it :D-:D-:p

On another topic:
    1800 wu's reported in as of 4pm ET and tons more to go. This could take a while :twitch:
    Radical_Edward says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Well I figure I'll share with the group:

Earlier today I received a call from my wife (;) Norton), and she said she was taking our daughter to the hospital. They had been at my in-law's, who are in the process of unpacking/settling after a move, and my little girl was playing in top of their entertainment system furniture piece, which has rather sharp edges.

Inevitably, she fell and hit her face on said edge, splitting open her top lip, blood everywhere! Needless to say my wife was freaking out and called me to say that they were going to the hospital, and I met them there. She's a tough cookie :). She was in rather good shape, even smiling and a little laughing. But she needed 3 stitches to hold her lip back together. She had to be wrapped and restrained since she's not even 2 yet, and she hated it, crying for mama and daddy the whole time! Yet she did make it through and was happy to leave.

Worst part I guess is that while I was putting her in the car, I noticed the middle stitch popped, resulting in split beginning to open. So we had to go back inside and have the guy restitch that part, using a little stronger of a stitch. Again she hated it, but fortunately she was far more tired this time around, so it did go smoother.

Now we are resting in bed; she just fell asleep.

Just thought I'd share with everyone. It's nice to have a group to be able to do so with and receive support. :)
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    NHKS, Daimus, Radical_Edward and 5 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Like cats, children love to play with boxes. Yet unlike cats, they do not have 9 lives. ;)
    Large boxes are a safer playground then furniture.

No broken legs and so on though so that is good. :)
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Always a scary thing when family is involved- glad she's OK. :toast:

My son, who's 27, got an early birthday gift and a trip to the ER from a neighbor's dog last month. My wife called in a panic and I left work to go pick him up. After a half dozen stiches and some nervous parents let's just say he learned two things:

1- Barking dogs aren't asking to be petted

2- Don't yank your hand out of a dog's mouth at full force once he's locked down on it

What a mess, glad my wife wasn't there to see it before the stitches- he's OK now and has a 3" scar on the back of his hand that's healing well :eek:
    NHKS, Daimus, manofthem and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad that your daughter is going to be OK and that things weren't much worse :)
    Chevalr1c and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to here that about your daughter manofthem. Glad she is okay though. :toast:

On a side note I had more issues today besides the wcg outage. Seems wifey decided to have our cable upgraded to some weird freaky promotional package. Needless to sat such package also included a new modem. Why, I have no clue as I liked the modem I had and it worked perfectly fine. Well somewhere during the installation he unhooked my router and also unhooked my network switch with my crunchers are on. No internet for the crunchers. I just got home to a shut down router and and disconnected switch. So I got them back online and now all the rigs have to upload a full days work. I wish wifey would tell me these things. She said the internet will be faster now. it was fine before.
    Daimus, manofthem and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Since both happened today so you only lost 3-4 hrs of upload/download time.... bright side ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like to upload all of my WU's for both rigs is going to take a long:(
    I never came close to running out of WU's though:)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not much time on my hands lately but little by little I'm tackling the problem with my FX rig. Think it's finally stable now. If so, so I can finally get my i7-950 going with a fresh install of windows. Ugggggh. :banghead:
  14. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Oh I forgot to mention they came at 9am this morning LOL
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Glad she is fine bro!!! But hell, little kids are tougher than one would think! :rockout:
    :respect::respect::respect:
    Chevalr1c and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    It seems I finally got everything back up to snuff. I had to leave earlier so I left everything uploading, a whole lot of WUs, which took ...
    [​IMG]

I had also updated to 13.2b3 drivers right before leaving, and it seems to be running fine thus far :)

I'll check it before going to bed, and I really hope I don't find some crash or weird issue in the morning. Let's hope :rockout:
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    NHKS and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The ref. 7970 I purchased on Anandtech should be shipping tomorrow, as the seller said retail box was apparently too large to fit in a standard USPS box. Contacted another seller with a reference Sapphire 7970 but it sold yesterday, so I said F it and just bought a Gigabyte Windforce 7950 off Newegg as the prices on used ones weren't that amazing and this one has an awesome cooler, making it suitable for possible crossfire later on (when GPU WUs may disappear) with my XFX 7950 that has Accelero treatment.

I'm excited to get them in a few days. I really hope the WUs stay around considering the investment I just made, but if that goes bust, I can at least have a kick ass home computer and a kick ass work computer for a while, right?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Damn, that's amazing! :toast:
    My HD7850 shipped today, and if my HPs sell tomorrow (about damn time, I sure hope they do!) I might have to pick up a second card....we'll see :)

I'd imagine you'll be at ~300k PPD with all of this?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I aspire to be around that number. Each 79x0 will have its own 3770K or 2600K which it can of course fall back on in case of a GPU WU outage. Sounds like I'll be down ~15K generally, but up ~200K on HCC1 WUs.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Holy poop, you've got a fleet of 79x0s inbound! :eek: Way to go! Looks like I'll be retiring the Ice Pie sooner than I thought :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, I want my pie back close to like what I had before the GPU WUs came out. I miss my lime/blueberry pie.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, that's pretty awesome that you'll be able to dedicate a (presumably OCed) SB or IVB i7 to each! :toast:
    Given the relatively low performance/thread of the E5420s, I'm contemplating putting the HD7950 in the 2700k and then the GTX470s on the Xeon....but that would take a while (messing w/ drivers, mostly) so perhaps not.

Tripling your PPD with such ease is really sweet :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:

Glad she is OK, man..

but yes, children are generally curious/adventurous and I am always apprehensive when they try to climb furniture and stuff.. got to keep an precautionary eye on them sometimes.. or best keep them at floor level..
    also, good to know that she has been tough.. can't bear to see/read about children in pain.
    manofthem says thanks.
  24. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I am doing a large re-organization with several of my systems down, so my numbers will be dropping down a bunch for a week or so.
    Norton and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, I hope that the reorganization is quick and that you come back better than ever :toast:
    stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU