1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Yes it's not the watts but the amps that are getting you. Each "side" of your dorm room (yours then your roomates) are probably on a 15 to 20 amp breaker. You may want to check the amps your pulling at the plug on each rig. I usually limit my rigs to 2 rigs per breaker. I like to leave head room so it doesn't heat up the breaker.

Oh and 1800 watts is about the max on one line/side/breaker of your dorm room at standard amp draw in a perfect world.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    There's no way to do two rigs/breaker--that would limit me to a total of four systems. I've moved the Xeon DP/dual-GPU system and the i3/HD7950 to the roommate's breaker, so that should even things up a bit.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Time to start upgrading your psu's to 80+ silver/gold (bronze at a minimum) you could drop your load on the circuit by about 10% even if you just upgrade 2 or 3 of your rigs with the heaviest loads.

and no that does not mean you can run even MOAR rigs once that's done :p
    ThE_MaD_ShOt, Chevalr1c and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Also you need to be mindful of the other things in the room on the lines. That refridge can easily spike 8 to 10 amps when the compressor starts. Also pulling to many amps can heat the breaker and doing that for a prolong period has the possibility of ending very bad for you or others in the building. Also the wire in the wall to the outlets also has a rating on it and you could be overheating it. Think of it like the Christmas light commercial where the people had a crap ton of light plugged into one outlet with all the splitters. Didn't end very well as the overheated the outlet and it sparked and caught fire. I had 4 rigs on a power strip for a week or 2. When I moved my rigs around I looked at the outlet and you can see where it started getting dark where the power strip was pluged into it and the power strips plug had heat damage. That was just 4 rigs, 3 where x4's and one was an x2 and this was before the gpu units. All crunching and all out fitted with low power gpu's ( hd3650's, onboard hd4200, and a 7300 gt).

All I am saying is be careful. It's great you want to have as many crunchers as you do, they just need to be spread out across more breakers. I don't want to come in here one day and find out something not good happend to you man.
    [Ion] and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I have a couple systems that are running PSus that aren't even 80+ certified (the 3930k, an i7, a C2D, and the AMD X2). I can start taking the older/less efficient PSUs and using them for sales systems :toast:

All good suggestions. I'll check with the maintenance staff and make sure that the wires are certified for this. And I have things split out a lot at the wall--the rigs on my side of the wall are using all six plugs across three outlets and the ones on my roommate's side are using two more :toast:

I may relocate a system or two to a friend's room--I can offer them use of an i7 in exchange for letting it run there and heat up a different space :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Actually thats a great Idea. If you can find a couple different friends that would do it you can move 4 or 6 rigs. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, there's no easy way to relocate the caseless systems, but I can still relocate two of the i7/GPU systems--and I can get more cases to box up more.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    You could time it with spring break since you may have to shut rigs down anyways
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    My thought exactly. I'm going to talk to the RA on duty to see if I can leave at least some of the systems going (even just the i7s w/ GPUs would be awesome), but I expect to shut down the 4P and my older systems to keep the heat manageable. Currently I have an 80mm fan forcing air through the PSU and that's working fine, but it's not an elegant solution :p
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I would leave the one with the wonky PSU off if you won't be there, and lower the amount of utilised cores of those systems you keep running (you can set that on the WCG site in your profile settings).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    Finally, entering Big 100 @ TPU :

[​IMG]

:toast:
  12. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Daimus, okidna and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  13. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Norton :toast:

Little by little, point by point, getting closer to millionaire's club :D
    Daimus and Norton say thanks.
  14. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    That was my first goal too. You just did it in way less time then I did :toast:

Top 10 in team? Top 10 in country? There are still some milestones left to persuade :)
    Daimus, okidna and Norton say thanks.
  15. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the kind words :toast:

Top 10 in team? That would be really hard, THE REAL milestone :laugh: But who knows? Little by little, point by point :D
    Daimus says thanks.
  16. Norton

Thanks Received:
    You will reach your goals if you set yourself to do.... one step at a time ;)

You're already #2 for points today in your country :toast: You're sharing the top 2 spots with one of your TPU Team members. :toast:
    okidna, Daimus and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  17. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. set small personal goals and it will keep you hungry for more. Right now my next goal is 15 mil.
    okidna, Norton and Daimus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, good sir. One step at a time :D

Ah yes, mauriek is usually get the top spot for daily points, he got better GPU I guess.
    Just wait until I get back my 8120 and add another 7850 :D
  19. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking I might bring it home, as it's sub-100w ATm and could hold three GPUs and still be reasonably low power. And I'd certainly turn off all of the dual cores and probably the i7-860 and down-clock the 2700k/920 a bit.
    You've done well! :toast:
    I never thought I'd make it to top-10 in the team, but it's happened ;)
    Don't say that you can't accomplish something ;)

I've talked with one of my friends here and the plan is to re-locate the i7-920 to his room--provided it doesn't irritate him, I may also move the i3 there too. I'm going to see if I can find someone who will host the 2700k as well :toast:
    okidna and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    So I'm putting together a PC for my brother, just ordered most of the parts last night and should be here next week. He's getting a 7850 and I'm hoping to get it running WCG for a day or 2 while it's here with me, as I get it all ready for him. Hopefully it'll be a little boost for 24-48 hours :laugh:
    Chevalr1c and Daimus say thanks.
  21. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Why not leave WCG on and tell it to crunch while the computer isn't in use? You build him a computer, and then it crunches--seems fair to me :toast: ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I did think about that :roll:
    They never leave the pc on, so it really wouldn't do any good. What I think I'll do is subtly encourage him to leave it running all the time, and then I could squeeze it in, maybe tell him it's better for the pc to run continually than to keep turning it on and off :D
  23. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Tell him you need it for at least a week to do some "stability testing." ;)
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely, I'll be doing some mild overclocking before handing it over, so I'll have to test it to ensure stability. Sounds good to me :toast:
  25. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I'll just leave this here :D

[​IMG]

Woot! :rockout:
    okidna, Daimus and manofthem say thanks.