1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    $50 for an X6???

If I didn't have two i7s sitting unused ATM I'd jump on that! :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    The 1090T had a missing pin (I suppose it's a ground) but still worked, I think that stopped people from bidding on it. The 1055t was dumb luck, it ended early on a monday and nobody sniped me. :toast:

manofthem and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I think you're right.... Some of the best deals I'm snagged on eBay have been early in the week, but Friday - Sunday is usually tough. Cheers to your nice wins :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of Phenoms, I just gutted my dad's home computer and put in his new ASRock 990FX Extreme4 to replace what we believe is a misbehaving ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3. So far, it seems to be working, but the true test is letting it run for a few days.

Norton, I'm still considering your Athlon II X4 640. It's certainly better than my current Phenom X3 8550. I really shouldn't have sold a 965BE for $50 last year had I known I was going to keep this rig going. I suppose I got too carried away with purging the Phenoms out of my farm late last year in order to make money for i7 chips and their incredibly low power consumption.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    It's here when you want it- no plans for it atm. I have a w/c project to get ready for :D

Jstn7477 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Appears I have hit my average. I thought the 8k was going to be it but it was just a lucky day. From 8 cores. 4 cores sandy at 4.5ghz and 4 cores phenom at 3.3ghz.

I should be having an a10 5800k 4 cores coming in soon. I am building it for my brother but it will crunch when not in use. Whenever steam roller comes around I want to make to upgrade the 4 core phenom to an 8 core steam roller.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I have a Phenom II x4 910e I'm selling :pimp:

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, it's only a 13x chip and I'd be lucky to get 3GHz out of it on my nForce 3. The Athlon is a 15x chip, but of course lacks the L3 cache of the Phenom. It's a toss-up I guess. If you're willing to just part with the chip, send me an offer. I'd still love to have a 960T or something like that, or a C3 Deneb or equivalent. The board only supports up to quad cores, cannot unlock chips, the HTT only goes up to 230 before becoming unstable, and voltage controls are locked on non-BE chips. :(

t_ski says thanks.
  9. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    A pall of all of us is back on GN. Don't push or shove. We luv this guy so don't do that thing you are thinking. Wait not me:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:

:laugh: yea I guess that is right with that liquid cooled vid card headed your way. :p

Might shoot me a pm regarding water cooling parts man. I have a large flat rate box plum full of all kinds of crap. :laugh:

Of course it would all be free for ya brother. :toast:

Norton says thanks.
  11. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Saw the posts last night.... thought I was looking at a year old thread for a second ;)

Hmmm! I guess a have a parts cache in Wyoming to search through then :p :toast:

stinger608 and mjkmike say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Hey Mike, ya ole hound dog, how the heck are ya man? :respect::respect::respect:

mjkmike says thanks.
  13. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    And I know who you be talking about and hope he makes a visit over here :toast:

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'd be a bit worried about buying a CPU that had issues with it, but it seems to have worked out surprisingly well for you :toast:
    The low cost of the PhII equipment is certainly appealing--but I love that the 3770k does just over 5k PPD for about 80W DC (w/ my old TX750 should be 100w AC)

I'm going to try and bring another C2D or i3 online soon--just gotta stick a system or two somewhere else first :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Well guys, I won't be here this weekend. We are going to Disney World Orlando to use up our last free day (before it expires in June), and I hope it's not so super crowded :rolleyes:

My main rig will crunch, but I think I'll shut down the second one for the next 2 days while I'm away. For some reason, I feel better with just the one running while I'm away ;)

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    PM sent :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Just got back home from being out of town for a week and have my rigs back up and crunching but we are leaving town again in a couple hours. Short trip this time. Coming back Monday so I will leave the rigs on.

Daimus, stinger608, Chevalr1c and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Swapped the ram between my main rig and my FX-6200 rig a few days ago. Now the main rig is fine and the FX-6200 is throwing BSOD's so it looks like the 1866 GSkill Ares ram has gone farging bad on me :shadedshu

I picked up a 4x4GB kit of 1600 Patriot ram in the FS section for a decent price but that won't be here for a few days so I may end up shutting down the 6200 rig until then.

I'll contact GSkill next week and see if they will RMA the Ares w/o driving me nuts about it.

Anyone else have issues with ram getting unstable in their crunchers? This is the 2nd or 3rd set I've had problems with... I always use a decent brand of DDR3 with good specs and usually not overclocked. The only brand/model I don't recall having trouble with is Corsair Vengeance sticks (2x4GB kits, DDR3 1600, Cas 9, 1.5v)

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Only trouble I've had with parts was probably due to leaving the office window open during the winter to try to combat the heat, only to make the humidity drop so low I started zapping things.

Are there any commonalities? If the same rig was killing ram it could be the mobo or the power supply.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    Working my ass off soo much I'm afraid to take a shit.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

stinger608 and theonedub say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Different rigs, different mobos (type and brand), different cpus (FX and PII), different psu's (all good quality ones), all are kept cool (under 55-60C depending on chip).... the only commonalities are they are all AMD and they all crunch @100% 24/7

*Note- I haven't run the Intel rigs very long so I can't compare anything against those and, as stated, this never happened to any Corsair Vengeance ram...

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    What brands/models have died on you? I know that some stuff is made for Intel systems and has tight voltage ranges. Going outside those ranges can sometimes either fry your CPU or the ram. Are you running these sticks stock (SPD or XMP), or are you tweaking the timings & voltages to allow them to run stable in your rigs?

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I usually run at spec in the FX (1600) and under spec in the PII's (1333) and stick to the rated voltage (1.5v... I avoid 1.6 or 1.65v ram) and only run 2 sticks per rig. The ram is usually fine for at least 6 months before I've had problems.

This has only happened a few times so it may just be bad luck... idk :ohwell:

The only other commonality is that all of the ram that went bad was purchased new

** EDIT- heading out for Memorial Day burgers and beers no beer.. be back in a few hours :D :D **

*UPDATE*
    Ran memtest86 on the ram and it's over 140k errors after 5 minutes :eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I have no clue then. Try googling your issue and see if other report the same thing.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    All I can offer is that RAM generally seems to be the single most unreliable part of a computer--I build a lot of computers and have more bad RAM than everything else combined...

Crunching for Team TPU