1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Cruncher03 was in a re-starting loop yesterday; had to flush the remaining buffer to get it to work again. I don't know if switching it to HPF made it go bananas so back to default it went. Cruncher02 is doing fine.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    MrFoldy apparently stopped folding on the GTX 580's today (no change in F@H points since early this am). I'm not sure what happened... stopped by to check on it yesterday and it was running perfectly fine :confused:

*EDIT- nvm... just got a 40k update :) *

It appears to still be crunching- reported just under 3k points so far today, which is normal. Will have to try to get to the site tomorrow to check on it :shadedshu

On a side note, UPS just dropped off a package from NewEgg with a Red/Black metal container inside :D :pimp:

Last edited: May 30, 2013
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Do you run any remote administration software on your rigs, e.g. TeamViewer? TeamViewer makes administrating my machines super easy since most are headless, and I can check in on them from home unless they have frozen or a power surge shut them off (some won't automatically power on again especially with some types of surges).

Did you buy another FX-8350? :)

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. Norton

Thanks Received:
    No remote access- I just build em', get em' stable, run em'.... I just monitor their output through WCG/FreeDC and stop by to either check them or upload/download them while at work. I may do some form of remote access in the future if/when they are running in a more "communication-friendly" environment.

Gotta stop listening to the voices in my head one of these days :rolleyes:-:laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Going to be waiting on the H60 to get the AMD rig going again. Had booted it up for a few minutes the other day at 100% on WCG and didn't last long at all before it crashed. I still think it's a heat thing, if that doesn't fix it, the I don't know what I'm going to do with this thing. All I have to spare is just RAM and that didn't fix it. Either heat or borked OS? :confused:

6. Norton

Thanks Received:
    What board is that chip running on?

Also

Did you try running it with the stock heatpipe cooler?
    *never really liked the mounting system on that Spire TME3 cooler :shadedshu

**UPDATE- looks the the GTX 580's are still folding- just got a large update... around 40k points :) **

Last edited: May 30, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    So bad it's good! :roll:
    (the timings, frequency, DDR generation, CPU family, CPU process...)

[​IMG]

How do You run Teamviewer on headless systems? o__O

Last edited: May 31, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I upgraded my AGP rig from a Phenom X3 8550 to an Athlon II X4 640 today, as well as added a WD Raptor 36GB as a dedicated pagefile drive since XP x86 and a 160GB IDE drive is a snail. I'm going to try some further overclocking beyond 3.2GHz soon, although my slow DDR2 will likely hold me back (currently have 2x1GB single sided 800s and 2x512 533s at 700MHz, since this computer can only use 3.2GB anyway).

Huh? It runs fine aside from the computers usually picking 1024*768 if a monitor is not connected. Most computers don't care if the keyboard/mouse/monitor are missing, and if they do, you can just set the BIOS to ignore any errors on POST. All most of my computers have is a power cable and Ethernet or WiFi.

9. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    @Jstn7477 Oh lol so they have a GUI running, just not connected to anything?
    My headless cruncher doesn't get such a "tasty treat" as "GUI" :laugh:
    "Waste a minuscule amount of CPU cycles on a GUI that does nothing? Not on my watch!" *rips it out mercilessly*

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    My other 1055t can't take 3.5Ghz. 3.3Ghz will have to do. :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    And neither do I.
    I am going to replace my Spire with the spare Cm 212+ I have. :toast:

What board do you have it on? I had one of mine on a Gigabyte 890Xa-Ud3 and couldn't get it past 3.2. Popped it into a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and it did 3.5 right out the gate.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Enjoy your new CPU! :toast:
    Do you have the rest of a rig for it?
    Exactly! My 3770k hasn't been connected to peripherals in a month or so--it's just next to the desk plugged in to power and ethernet and running. Every time it's turned on it announces that there is no keyboard detected, but after 30 seconds it boots Windows anyways and then I check on it from time to time via Teamviewer.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    GA-880GM-USB3. I think it's the CPU, I have another 880GM+1055t combo that does 3.5 just fine and I haven't fine tuned it yet, maybe I could squeeze an extra 100Mhz or so.

ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    If you're at the point of trying to get the last 100MHz out of it I think you should re-consider--when you're that close to the peak it will likely be less reliable and the additional performance/watt becomes unpleasant to say the least...

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    *sigh* I might have to tune down on crunching.
    My power bills were crazy over the past couple of months.
    Me and my pops measured the power usage of my both boxen. Over a month, when crunching, my boxen alone (not counting monitors and other stuff) use up power that equals 25% of my monthly income by cost. More than five times as much when compared to what they'd pull if idling.
    I'll see if I can think of some solution to this problem.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's on the stock cooler. Board is a Asrock 990FX Extreme 3 I believe?

Norton says thanks.
  17. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I hear you. During the last HCC stretch my power bill was crazy too but I was running 8 rigs, 3 7870s and 3 7770s. I'm hoping that the setup I'm running now will be more economical but if we get another GPU project I'll downsize to 2 rigs with 2 7870s and call it a day. Maybe throw in my main during challenges.

I might "upgrade" the office CCTV PC with an X6 if I get my hands on a 95w model. Apart from that I don't think I can add much more to my farm.

Also, it seems that it was the RAM what held back the other 1055t. I lowered the multi to 5.33 and to 3.5Ghz it went :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Never crunch 24/7 on such a high-end rigs, especially not overclocked. Overclocking those i7s, 1085ts and whatnot to like 4GHz and letting those crunch numbers non-stop is asking for trouble. Limit yourself to <4 PCs and do not OC, and power draw should be much lower. Compensating for the power draw by lighting/heating/cooling the house efficiently is a good idea too.

Fortunately, my crunching addiction is pretty much under control.

Bow says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    According to HW Monitor, the 1090t is pulling 130w at the socket and the 1055ts are doing 140w each so with the hard drives and everything else I guess I'm pulling about 200w per rig, 240w at the wall.

I was running these with cheapo <70% PSUs before I got the Earthwatts plus I'm running less than half of what I was during HCC so I think I'll be looking at a 2/3 cut next month.

My apartment is always on the shadow of one of the adjacent buildings so these actually act like my heaters :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yes and no. The FX-8 CPUs overclocked use a tremendous amount of power, and the PPD/W of many older CPUs is pretty bad at this point. But the IVB and to a slightly lesser extent SB CPUs are wicked efficient--5.3k PPD from a 3770k at 4GHz and 100w at the wall. With the electric rates here, that costs about 22 cents a day to run. Entirely reasonable IMO
    Yeah, more efficient PSUs help enormously. At this point I'm only running 80+ PSUs and there's still even considerable room for improvement here. What is the weather like where you are in Mexico?

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I just want to let you guys know I'm taking a break for a little bit. You'll see me drop in the pie, but don't worry - I'm going to be just fine :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    wow, 5.3k for 100w sounds delicious... but then again I got my fleet for the cost of two 3770ks ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I have a 4770K, ASRock Z87 Extreme6 and a tube of Arctic MX-4 ordered as of this morning. As I've done before, I'm going to swap these parts into my home rig and pass down my current 3770K/Z77 gear to the DC farm. I'm probably going to sell my mATX 3770K rig to my father and he plans on passing down his 1045T/790GX to my mom for an office computer at work. He is also considering getting an FX-8350 for his home computer now that he has the 990FX Extreme4 (currently using the old 1100T). Can't wait!

Vinska and Norton say thanks.
  24. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You must share OC results.

[​IMG]

Vinska says thanks.
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I had Binge pick up the 3770k at MicroCenter for me, so the total cost for this system has been just over $500 ($410 for the mobo/CPU, $40 for RAM, $10 for a HDD, $20 for the cooler, and $30 each for the PSU and case). It's also dead silent, so it makes a good discrete system :)
    Awesome! I'm thinking of picking up either a 4770k combo or FX8350 combo before too long, but I've yet to decide which. Do let us know what the output and OC of it is---hopefully it's even better than IVB for PDP/W

Would your uATX 3770k system keep crunching?

Crunching for Team TPU