1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    how do I get the logs?

edit:
    Started with the live CD and tried to access the disk on the file manager. This is the error message:

Error mounting /dev/sda1 at /media/lubuntu/963036e6-f5ed-4825-d3c1749c06ff: Command-line `mount -t "ext4" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sda1" "/media/lubuntu/963036e6-f5ed-4825-d3c1749c06ff"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: no medium found on /dev/sda1

edit2: plugged the disk into my Win8 machine and shows up fine in compmgmt.msc so it's not dead

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    The general difficulties that Linux gives are the reason that many of us choose Windows, even with the lower output it brings.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I'm reading that ext4 has "rare instabilities" (maybe my super power is bringing that out). Is that true? Should I try ext3?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand why your Linux installs only work once and then "die." I've had less than 1yo Ubuntu distros installed on everything ranging from a 2002 Sony P4 desktop to a Haswell i7, and none of my installs have done that ever, even when the drive was pulled and inserted into different machines. The only rig I couldn't get it to install on was a Biostar A780L3B 760G board that would freeze while I was entering my user information. Thing is, 90% of the systems I have installed it on are Intel with NVIDIA or Intel GPUs excluding my main desktop which is Intel with an HD 7970 or a 2005 Turion64 laptop with ATI XPress 200M graphics.

Do you attempt to install video drivers when you set these machines up, or do you just install updates and BOINC and that's it? I simply cannot understand what your machines are doing. If there is any sort of video issue, Linux should boot into low graphics mode or just a straight up terminal asking for your login if it's that bad.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Well, the first time I installed Ubuntu on a USB drive. It ran fine for a few days, just having some problems with stuck WUs from time to time but one day it was just locked up and after a hard reset it wouldn't load again. I thought it was because of the USB stick.

Second try was on a 8GB HDD (leftover from a Xbox HDD upgrade). This time I deleted some stuff since after installation there where about 1.2GB free on the drive and I wanted at least 2GB to cover for CEP2 requirements. Somehow I deleted the desktop enviroment and had to sudo it back out. After restoring it I installed boinc and it ran for some days. I came back from work one day and it was frozen again.

About two or three weeks ago I tried again when the linux vs windows ppd disparity was discussed. This time I did nothing but install Ubuntu then the boinc manager, setting it up and never touching it again. To be fair, this install was done on a cruncher with a 1055t OCed to 3.5Ghz (which was fully stable in Windows) so I don't know if that had a hand on it. It survided for a couple of days.

Today I set a new record, not even 24 hours have passed. Earlier today I lost a VNC connection to the cruncher and when I got home from work BAM! blank screen. :cry:

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Same here about a night ago. Went out for my birthday with my girlfriend straight from work. House had the AC off and all three rigs going for pretty much well over 12 hours. Got back home to sleep and I just couldn't take it. Turned them back on the next morning.

7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    LOL... "Welcome screen is not responding"

This isn't a good start.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Geez, just doesn't wanna cooperate heh? :(

9. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Installing boinc now. Apart from the Welcome screen fail Mint feels faster. Maybe it uses another file system?

edit: welcome screen and screen lockup disabled.

edit2: boinc installed and running. Where can I set Mint to automatically accept incoming RFB connections?

edit3: NVM, desktop sharing

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Was just about to suggest that. As it does seem like a filesystem failure, as I was suspecting.
    Though, are You sure this old eksbawks HDD is not failing in the first place? As ext4 support is finished up / stable / "ironed out" for a long time now, I would find it really odd if things borked up because of it like this a couple of times in a row.
    (BTW I use ext4 for more than a year now and never got a single issue with it)

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    It passed every Seagate Tools test last night so I'd say the disk is fine.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    TRWOV, man you do have some bad luck with Linux. My rig that is running it, the os has been through hell and back and shouldn't be running but it still ticks on. I originally installed it on my mini s939 3800+ rig. have since bounced that hdd with the same os into multiple rigs and besides the occasional upgrade here and there it soldiers on. I haven't installed a fresh copy of the os since 10. something.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    In that case I'd say try FAT32. I know FAT32 is quite a pile of horse poop, but it is a failsafe[1] filesystem.

[1]The OS-level implementation is as solid as it can get, thus any failures with it would simply point at hardware.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Same, whenever I scrap or change a Linux rig around, I just pull out the drive and put it in my drawer to be placed into the next machine. Haven't had to install it on a machine since December 2012. :)

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  15. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    My longest Linux installation laster over 4 years. Till I finally killed it off with my cruel and unusual testing and curiosity.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I don't know. Maybe it's the chipset? I've run linux in different configurations but the common factor is the SB710 chipset.

In other news I think my plan to stick with 8320s for the crunchers won't go. I've read that there's basically zero overcloking for FX-8xxx on this board (8320 get to 3.7Ghz and that's it) so if I want 4Ghz I should buy the 8350 outright. There's a new board revision out (5.0) so maybe (maybe) it would OC better than my current 4.1.

I guess I'll buy an 8320 and a rev.5 board to find out. Worst case scenario I can stick the 8320 on the CCTV PC at work. It would still offer better ppd than the X4 620 anyway.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Not sure and I can't remember if I ran this drive on a sb710 or not. Right now it's on a sb750. I think I may have ran an install on a Msi board that had a sb710 but I am not 100% sure.

I do still have 1 board that runs a sb710. I will try and convince my wife she doesn't need to use her rig for a few days and I will test it out on it. I have a spare hdd I can use.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Reading through the net a bit, it seems this chipset has issues due to faulty hardware design. For starters, disable HPET (High Precision Event Timer) in the BIOS, add a "hpet=disable" kernel boot option and make sure Your HT link is running at no less than 1.8 GHz. I believe that should make those issues go away.
    HPET is of no use for things like BOINC, so disabling it won't have a negative impact.

Daimus, xvi, Chevalr1c and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Have had my PC off for the past week, 7 straight days at an average temp of 106F :eek: it was hot. Will be firing it back up this weekend.

ThE_MaD_ShOt and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I need a hug...

Code:
    kernel panic - not syncing: Attemping to kill init! exitcode=0x00000600

drm_kms_helper: panic ocurred, switching back to text console
    :cry::nutkick:

I'll disable HPET and try again. (-_-)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! Let's do this thing!
    I believe that sort of an error is sub-optimal... :cry:

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I guess I'll setup a USB stick with a persistence file. Maybe that'll work.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That has worked well for me in the past. You seem to be having rotten luck though, so I'm not sure... :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    So the graphics driver shits his pants? What graphics hardware are you using, and did you try a propietary driver (if any are available, incase of AMD and nvidia)? You seem to have been using the open source Radeon/Nouveau/Intel graphics drivers. Just in case, check in the BIOS whether the PCIe Link Speed is set at 100Mhz and not even a Hz higher (nor lower). I have had a graphics board act up severely because of wrong link speeds.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I'm using whatever Mint had preloaded/downloaded. Graphics are HD3200 IGP.

Installed again with HPET disabled. boinc is working right now and so far has completed 8 tasks. Normally I'd report them manually but I don't want to disturb this install at the moment.

Chevalr1c, xvi, Daimus and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU