1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Maybe. No sight anywhere. Nor sight of the new project that was being talked about. I demand more crunching material!

Arjai says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    So my 2500k at 4.5ghz on Linux got about a 30% boost. I am getting 7k ppd off it! My 4770k gets 6k ppd on windows. I wish I could pair it with Linux but I need windows on at least one machine.

Question:
    Are all Linux distro's equally efficient or are some more so? I am running on mint but would lubuntu or other distro net me more performance?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    They seem to all be equally efficient, or at least pretty much so. I've noticed no appreciable difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu, at least.

james888 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I don't think lubuntu would help at all. It just uses less resources which I don't think makes up for much. Maybe an entirely different variant.

This little review here seems to answer my question. Not done googling.

From said review:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I have Ubuntu Server and the Xubuntu interface on my AMD Opteron system, which I think is working very nicely. For day-to-day stuff I do prefer the Ubuntu or Kubuntu interface, but for just SSH'ing all I needed was a GUI to set things up.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    After doing more research it appears most, if not all, the performance benefits come right down the kernel. So as long as you have the latest Linux kernel you should be dandy.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Got a 970 Extreme3 for what amounts to spare change. The USB ports don't work for some reason :confused: I looked at the fuses and they seem to be fine. :banghead: Well, whatever, nothing a $10 card can't solve.

There's a sort of Black Friday coming in two weeks over here. I'll see if I can set up another cruncher.

james888 and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Oh no! :D Competition for #5 pie spot!

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    That seems fair ;)

#1 and 2 duke it out,
    #3 and 4 fight it out,
    #5 and 6 ought to battle as well :laugh:

It's like a gladiator arena in here, except no one dies and everyone wins :D :respect:

Norton and james888 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I am two power supplies, two hdd's, and an RMA away from competing for the 3-4 spot. I got a phenom and i3-2100 just sitting here. Finding space for this many rigs is getting difficult though. Time is all I need. They will come online.

manofthem and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Come on up! :toast:

However, the i7-970 I have coming online may have something to say about it ;)

*P.S> PM t_ski on HDD's- he usually has a few he'll give you a good deal on. :)

t_ski says thanks.
  12. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    The dual 2.3 GHz Xeon (8c/8t) server I was borrowing was shut off over the weekend (not sure why), but it did manage a little over 6k PPD when it was going. It's a Dell 2950 with dual Xeon E5345 procs. They can be found on eBay fairly inexpensively (couple hundred?).

Just an interesting thing to note, I think.

Vinska and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You won't even know what hit you. :fear:

:)
    :toast:

james888 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, been busy lately but finally making an effort to maintain my farm again now that my parents new facility has been up and running for a week (9 months too late). To start, I removed all the GPUs from my ATX 3770K system and made it my first Mint machine. Ubuntu is officially off my Linux list now because I have seen the light lol.

I purchased a Q9550/ASUS Max2Formula/8GB DDR2 from a forum member a month ago but finally got that running and crunching at 3.8GHz just this weekend. The Dell Dimension E520, QX6800, 4GB DDR2 and a GTX 460 were given to a nice lady friend of mine a month ago, and the Athlon X2 AM2 and Xeon X3210/Lenovo board/some DDR2 were sold to a forum member a couple weeks ago. My E7500 AGP system is dismantled for now (no DDR2 left), and I plan on resurrecting the Opteron 170 and maybe even the Dimension 8300 for fun. I still have my four i7 systems and my parents pretty much booted me off of their AMD machines so that's the state I have been in for the recent past. On the folding side, I should have my third Tahiti and the 7770 going again after a long hiatus from F@H, but everything else has pretty much been running the whole time. Hopefully everything has been going smoothly for our other team members. I've been lurking the threads once in a while but haven't really been here otherwise. :)

My first Mint screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Vinska, james888, Arjai and 4 others say thanks.
  15. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's kinda funny what the lure of more PPD will make us do to learn an alien OS:laugh:. Glad to hear everything is well and your rampin' up production.

BTW, the Q9550 was/is my favorite CPU of all time. Much respect for that Core2 Quad beast!!!

:toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I was quite surprised when I started OCing this combo and it just kept going and going and going until I hit a wall at 4GHz. It has 4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 modules and the P45 easily runs all of them at 1075MHz 2.1v all day. I literally just set the RAM voltage and the board handled everything else, vcore is currently 1.375v.

Linux isn't too foreign for me, but it's my first day with Mint. I had to condense the GPUs to the Windows machines for F@H and anything that isn't running a GPU is getting Mint treatment, whether it was a Windows 7 machine or an Ubuntu one. :toast:

Vinska, Arjai and BUCK NASTY say thanks.
  17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Mint is pretty must just a set-and-leave it OS I've found. Two of my Mint systems have been up for a month and a half at this point:
    [​IMG]

I've also moved the spare i7-3770k system I have into a spare Antec Sonata case I had laying around. It's running in a quite minimal configuration, but the presence of a case fan means that I can finally remove the CPU fan, which has been rattling for quite a while. With the rear fan the CPU is still running pretty cool (peaked at about 65C earlier). Much quieter too. Now I just need to find a case for the FX8350 and I can clean things up even more :toast:

Arjai says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Kai, I have a cheap Xion case if you're interested.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I will try to get a directer link to the paper so that no accounts need to be created by those without university access to it.

Edit: the University search engine did not find it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Vinska says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Got several more beta WUs. And the WU I got on the machine sitting in my university error'd out. And I say... the error log gives spectacular amounts of information. But most interesting was this line:
    Code:
    Linked PDB Filename : c:\projects\wcgridAustinWorkspace\scienceApps\MCM1\x64\Release\wcgrid_mcm1_prod_64.pdb
    It appears the project for which these beta WUs are for is named MCM1
    Now I am super curious what this "MCM1" stands for. :rolleyes:
    Must be some new project. Excited! Excited! Excited! New badges to earn!
    Also, could it be that after sorting out the CPU WUs this particular project will start working on GPU WUs, too? AWW GEE WIZ I HOPE THEY DO! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I actually have a spare case at home (that I won in an earlier competition)--I just need to get it here from Chapel Hill. Will probably pick it up over Thanksgiving.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    CEP 2 Wu's were causing BSOD's on my haswell system. I turned them off on WCG site. With in boinc I updated the project, told it to check local preferences, and to read the config file. I am still getting them though. I am aborting CEP2 units on site for the moment. How do I stop them from coming at all?

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Do you by any chance have that system assigned to a specific device profile? If so, what WUs is it set to get?

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Looky what I got!! Never thought I would ever get one on my laptop, only connected to internet a few hours a day...Oh well. I hope it goes well!

[​IMG]

:D

Chevalr1c, Vinska and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU