1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Why isn't "Up and Crunching again" the first thing on the list?o_O

james888 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Starting tomorrow I'll downsize due to vacations. I'll be back in full force on January.

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I love this modern thing called electricity. Much better than it was without.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

Sorry, I'm not often on, but I still crunch. I am really busy at work + my own business, so I don't have enought time to get on forums.

Hope you guys get a good christmas holidays. Health to you all, as with this, you will be able to do anything!

xvi, Chevalr1c, BUCK NASTY and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    Going to be very busy with the kids and family the next day or so. I hope you all have a Fantastic Holliday, :toast:

Arjai and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello there fellas. How are things in here lately? Just wanted to drop by and wish you all the best in these Holidays to you and your families. I've been gone a bit as I needed a break (was becoming fried chicken). I have been able to rest a lot this month of December and during these holidays. Would like to say everything is actually best it's been in a while. Things are going great, work is really busy but that should ease off now that the holidays are coming to an end. You'll start seeing more of me now that I'm a little refreshed and getting back on track with myself.

So what did I miss? How have things been? Got a lot of catching up to do around here. :(

Chevalr1c, Vinska and Norton say thanks.
  7. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Good to see you back Cap'n! :toast:

Merry Christmas!!!

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Bill! :) How have you been managing with the team on your shoulders now?

9. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I think we're doing OK...we did well on the last couple of challenges, picked up a few new members, and made it back to the Top 10 in the WCG World rankings! :)

Chevalr1c and manofthem say thanks.
  10. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Awesome. I haven't even been tracking my own stats much. I check in periodically, make sure my 2600K is going. The AMD rig kept having issues so I shut it down for now till I can figure it out and my i7-950 literally blew up in a power outage. Saw some smoke, never powered on again. Just haven't had the time to look into it to be honest.

manofthem says thanks.
  11. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Sucks about the i7-950 rig :(

If you find out what happened/what's broken let us know and maybe we can assist you in getting it back together again. Not sure what's going on with the AMD rig but I bet that mobo is having issues dealing with the heat/power from that BD chip?

12. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I am having trouble and I am hoping someone here can help. I was helping my brother, burn some DVD's to his HDD and then moved them to his external HDD a Passport.

Anyways, we used DVDFab to burn then to his HDD. Then tried to use it to burn a DVD from the saved files. It kept hanging up, for hours. So, I searched here and found CDBurnerxp.

Seemed to be fine until the end of the 17 min burn to DVD. Then I get an hresult 0x80040275.

VFW_E_NO_CAPTURE_HARDWARE
    0x80040275
    No capture hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding.

Not sure why. He is using Dual Layer DVD-r's.

Anybody have any experience with this? The CDBurnxp forum is no help and the StarBurn forum was no help either. I am at wit's end here.

All I want is a free, or very cheap, DVD burner, that works and is relatively easy to use. My brother is 67 years old and computers are not all that new to him but, he has some short term memory issues. For instance, right click and copy? New to him everytime I explain it to him.

Thanks in advance. :lovetpu:

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    the AMD rig I'm sure it's the motherboard. I'll try to scavenge something, should be fairly cheap to get another decent board. The i7 I have to look at, hopefully soon.

14. Norton

Thanks Received:
    This board does 125w chips and is on special for $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...122413-Index-_-AMDMotherboards-_-13130637-L0E

Hoping the i7 system didn't eat the board... X58 boards are getting rarer and more expensive lately :shadedshu:

15. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    I got your pm Norton, now i have the Bionic up but what do I select for work and isn't the cpu suppose to be at 100% or at least using all 8 threads?

Chicken Patty, manofthem and Norton say thanks.
  16. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I don't know the content of the PM that Norton sent but you chose WGC first. There will be a small delay (1-3 minute) before you have loaded work for all of your threads. in https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/viewMyProjects.do
    you tick off
    Participate in All Projects
    I read somewhere that Norton would be out for some hours but if you still have problems then please return to this forum.

Norton and fullinfusion say thanks.
  17. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Yup I checked off WCG and it's running a cancer thing.. The cpu is running full steam and only 62c

I'll be running it for the week and decide if I will let the machine run when Im away on the road..

hydro is getting more expensive here and watching my wattage meter it's showing 196-203 watts

18. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I got laptops pulling more than that ;). No sure electricity cost is the down side of this kind of work. 200 W for a 8 threads CPU is decent low. Run as much as you think you can afford. Remember the heat that your CPU is generating you save in your radiators. That what is keeping me pulling around 1500 W during wintertime.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    So me and @t_ski had a little trade not too long ago, where I picked up a 2.7ghz ivybridge Celeron. I kinda love this little Celeron in a geeky way. It only appears to use about 40 watts at load with my testing. I have a just better than stock heatsink on it, and the fan runs at the slowest RPM under load keeping it at 34c. I bet I could run this thing passive with a stock cooler. It is in a p67 motherboard with voltage control, so I am thinking of undervolting it for fun. It has found other workloads and I can't crunch on it yet, but I will soon enough I am sure. With undervolting I wonder if I can get it under 30 watts and putout 2k points with Linux. I thought I would share because I find this very cool.

Chevalr1c, t_ski, TRWOV and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Well, late last night, my brother put the DVD's in his player, attached to the TV. Turns out, the movies played full on throughout, no glitch. So, apparently, the program sends this error code at the end for shit's and giggle's? I will laugh, Later. I spent too much time, too recently, to find it very funny, yet. :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Those little Celerons are something else, aren't they? I was playing around with an embedded Celeron 1007U (dual core, 1.5Ghz Ivy) and got 780ppd avg on Windows 32bit. I can only fantom what would it get on linux x64.

If the iGPU didn't suck as much (regular HD Graphics w/6 EUs) I could see these becoming quite a competitor for the A4 and some A6 APUs.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I still want one of those kabini a6-5200. I did a little research and its about as powerful as my i3-2330m, according to passmark, which gets 1800k ppd with Linux.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    0.01206%

I remember, not so long ago, when I was just a mere 0.00300% of the Teams total credit. Oh, those were the days! Ion was still dreaming about 4p's and I was still a little wet behind the ears. Norton thought he would just be a lacky here for the rest of his days.

Now look, Buck Nasty rolled through and said what's what. Ion's 4p had been all of the shizzle until then. Then, Vinska convince some IT guy at school to crunch and wallah!!

Crazy cool. All the while, my little undervolted i5 trudged along and now, I am in the hundreths of a percent!!

Like the Turtle, may be the new name for this comp....or, not... :D

I know, this was just a waste of time, more mine than yours! I promise it took me longer to type this than it took to read!

mstenholm and BUCK NASTY say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Quick question for you guys (not sure if it's been posted already): is there a way to get BOINC to report immediately on Linux? Running Ubuntu 12.something.

EDIT: Nevermind. I guess I could get off my lazy arse and google something:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    FYI: If you have a nearby Fry's store, they are selling the MSI Z77 Mpower for $89 on 12/26. Reviewed by cadaveca

BUCK NASTY and Norton say thanks.