1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trackball mice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SirJangly, Apr 19, 2009.

1. SirJangly

SirJangly New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I don`t think that would be any good for precise work. And for daily use try some speech recognition software.
  3. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    I have both of those and can say the TrackBall TrackMan Wheel is the better of the two you listed.

The marble trackball has no scroll wheel only two buttons to scroll with and only work if you have the logitech software installed and not recommended if you play any games.
    The trackman is a little to small for my hand, so if you have big hands it may be uncomfortable.

I have yet to find any thing that out does my microsoft trackball optical (discontinued).
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have used both of these mice and each one functions differently. The first requires your index fingers and the second requires your thumb. The benefit you get from these is that you don't have to make desk space in order to reserve the mouse movements anymore. However, if you are a gamer, you should just get a mouse pad with memory foam in the place where the wrist goes.
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    I'v used both of these on my HTPC from the lazyboy their fine for on screen controls ...don't like e'm for desktop work not enought control
  7. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find trackball mice to be fine and dandy and no different from normal mice :S
  8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I used one a long time ago. I could surf the web fine, but I didn't have as much control in gaming. Even still, I managed to play Unreal Tournament with it.
  9. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. X-Terminator

X-Terminator New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the TrackBall TrackMan Wheel wireless version. It was a good mouse. Like one of the other posters said you have to use your thumb. I currently have Logitech Cordless Optical TrackMan Mouse Logitech Cordless Optical TrackMan Mouse.gif it requires the use of the index & middle fingers to control the ball. It is a little big but you get use to it.
    :nutkick:
  11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you find you can use a trackball just as well as normal mouse too?

If I have problems in a game I just use the in game mouse sensitivity sliders.

( normally have to ramp them up)
  12. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    There was a time that i used to work with a Wacom Tablet.
  13. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    I've used both as well. Once you get used to it, it's very nice. For me, though, I liked the first one you linked more than the second one.
  14. bnborg

bnborg New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have used a Logitech TrackMan (thumb ball) for at least fifteen years. I have always preferred it. I usually just use the Microsoft driver, set the speed higher, enable Enhanced Pointer Precision, and Snap To. In previous Windows versions, I used to use the Logitech driver.

I've had at least a dozen of them, over the years. The early ones were rectangular and had mechanical rollers and switches.
  15. SirJangly

SirJangly New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I will go with the trackman, as the thumb seems like the best idea. Any idea where I can get a good deal? :)
  16. SirJangly

SirJangly New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to update everyone, I went with the TrackMan (wired). It seems like an old model but the reviews are awesome. Thanks for everyone's help :)!!

:rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:
  17. bnborg

bnborg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good choice.

The reason it seems like an old model is that they haven't changed it in a few years. After they went to the optical versions with a red ball, there was really only one update. The ball retaining ring was replaced with the current snapout-snapin design. The hole on the bottom for pushing the ball out also allows dust, etc. an exit so it doesn't accumulate as easily.