1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Transferring Games Files Question

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MatTheCat, Jul 8, 2008.

1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Having recently upped my gfx card to a 4870, I now fancy having a sniff at Vista purely for DX10 purposes.

I have two 360Gb Hard drives (HD1 + HD2), 1 with XP64 and utilities, drivers, etc etc, the other laden down with music files, downloads, and my Game installations.

Since it is my preference that I use 1 HD for XP64 and the other for Vista Ultimate 64bit, I am faced with either having to install every single game I own onto HD1, or copying them over from HD2, to HD1.

This may sound like a silly question, but is there any reason why I shouldn't just copy the games directories fully onto HD1 rather than reinstalling every single game all over again?

2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    i think you may have to re-insert the game key but that's it.

3. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure that a simple transfer will work since a bunch of things is written in the registery.

It may be a pain in the arse, but a clean install is always the best thing to do.

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the game like Armed Assault you can and with Half Life 2 you can. Remember most games put your saves \ cfg files in my documents these days

5. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    ^ True, most profiles and game saves are put in users directory, plus if you just copy pasted, you'd need to enter your keys for the games.

Here's what I do before formatting, re-inst os's back up my profiles/saves and keys.
    Then when the os is all set up, I just re-install/re patch everything and copy the backed up profiles/configs/saves to the destined folders. I know it's tedious but it reduces a cause of problem for me.

6. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hrmmm..

I think that if I am to try out Vista for a bit of DX10 action, then I will be looking at installing it on same HD as XP64 in seperate partition.....tedium is one thing I can do without for the time being....My Time is Prime Time!