1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trendnet VS d-link

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by freaksavior, Oct 19, 2008.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I need a new router really badly so im considering either

A ) TRENDnet TEW-633GR

B ) D-Link DIR-655
    wich would you choose and why?

house is 3500 sqft and one upstairs room approximately 75 feet away and through the cealing of a newish house and pro
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Neblinio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both routers are reviewed at smallnetbuilder. They have very similar hardware and even firmware, as you can see in the reviews. The trendnet appears to have better throughput, but considering it is a virtual clone of the DIR-655 and the 655's review is quite old now, we can assume the newer 655's firmwares have a performance equal or better than the trendnet router has.

They both have the same features, but I see the trendnet doesn't have a USB port which the DIR-655 does have. Also, the newer 1.21 firmware for the 655 released some days ago adds support for network USB (NAS, network printing, 3G USB modem support, and more). So now the useless USB port actually does something quite useful!
    Jizzler says thanks.
  3. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Were do you find that? if that's the case then the D-link is going to be my new router :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Neblinio New Member

Thanks Received:
    In smallnetbuilder.com you can find reviews of both routers, with interesting information regarding their performance and stability. It is important to know that the reviews were made some time ago, and now there are newer firmwares available with better performance.

Here are the links to the reviews.

Trendnet - http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30308/96/
    D-Link - http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30087/96/

Also this one is a very interesting review with high quality photos of a disassembled 655.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/networking/display/dlink-dir655.html
    freaksavior says thanks.
  5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    get the d-link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i bought the trendnet and after a month it started to drop the wireless connection constantly. so instead i bought the d-link and it is amazing.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  6. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Second the Dlink...

I have seen many trendnets lock up when you have too many open connections, hence 2-3 computers on a network playing a online game or torrenting etc..
    freaksavior says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I have the DIR-655's bigger brother: DGL-4500. My only complaint is that it's kind of awkward in how it prioritizes traffic. For instance, one of the computers on my network was uploading with uncapped bandwidth usage (around 40 KB/s) but it was using hardly any download bandwidth (10 KB/s out of 360 KB/s). No other computer on the network could get a request through to the web and if it did, they could only download at around 40 KB/s when there was over 300 KB/s of bandwidth available. By default, it does a horrible job at prioritizing traffic. My older DI-724U and DI-804HV did not have this problem. I fixed it using the built in "Gamefuel" future to prioritize the upload traffic as lowest priority. It's still not as good at prioritizing as the older routers but it is much better than it was.

So, if the DIR-655 has something like Gamefuel, I'd take it over the Trendnet router, if it does not, I would be wary about getting it.
    freaksavior says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
  9. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    going to get the d-link then :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    ok got the d-link and in my room which is about 100 ft but through 5 walls, i get a signal on my mac but its spotchy, i will get good speed then i wont. any ideas?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    hah it is 100ft away through 5 walls! are you in wireless N mode? even then it wont be a very strong signal at that distance. remember wireless N is still in "draft" mode. but rest assured the d-link is the best one so far.
  12. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    yes i am in N.

i read a lot of reviews saying 5 walls and 100ft was still a good signal.

my mom says i am off in the distance and probably more like 40-50ft
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    50ft , 5 walls? Seems a bit much, are you in an apartment and using your neighbors internet or something? Make sure your drivers are up to date, and play in the routers settings for wireless.
  14. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    did you upgrade the firmware on the router? that would probably make a difference in signal quality. what link speed are you connected at?
  15. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    nope its a house.

yeah, its latest firmware, my mac says its 130mbs but thats bs because i cant transfer files nearly that fast (i know hdd write time matters and i am taking that into consideration)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    so, why do you say its sketchy. Like internet browsing drops, or you think file copying over the wireless is not what it should be?
  17. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    I will be using google and i'll go to a page and it loads slow then i will go back and click another and it loads slow, then i go back or click refresh and it doesn't even load.

upstairs wich is further (but through about 3 walls) i get a perfectly good signal.. not as fast as if i was in the same room obviously but still better
    should i get some of these?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    130 is pretty good considering that distance. 130Mbps = 16.25 MBps. what is your HDD read/write speed rated at? i dont even know what a generally good read/write speed for a typical 7200 HDD is.

if your connection is dropping then try moving closer and see what happens.

edit: try transfering a 100 meg file over your network from the laptop to someone elses PC and see the speed.
  19. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, well walls and distance are a thing I always hated about wireless. Im still using G and that suits me fine. I don't copy much between PC's (and im going through 2 walls at the most). But, I think it might just be what it is. You will always have weak and strong points on wireless, and naturally the closer and less obstacles to go through the better.
  20. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    it says i am 130mbps even if i am right next to it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    hrm...well disconnect from the spot and then reconnect and see what happens.