1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Treyarch says Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Doesn't Need a New Engine to Advance Graphics

Discussion in 'News' started by TheMailMan78, May 14, 2012.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I've seen re-textured maps in CoD. They're selling you the same content you've already bought. Quite frankly, they need to do something completely new for me to be even remotely interested in it.
  2. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    Blame the game (consoles), not the player (develepor).
  3. FierceRed

FierceRed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, it isn't just that. People have a valid reason for being upset because the status quo smells fishy. See below.

4. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Look at the bright side. At least I can play this game on my old laptop with no issues.
  5. Calin Banc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure, but just like it has been said before, the gameplay will remain the same and it will look the same. After all, a game can be as complex and beautiful as it's engine allows it to be.
  6. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    I think the story and gameplay is much more important than ultra visuals and stuff. Just look at the Blizzard engines, pure crap quality, but the games are most popular ever. Graphics isn't everything. ;)
  7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    They obviously don't want to risk doing anything else or change to much and end up not making the grossly largely sum of money they have been.
  8. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    And that went very badly imho. It took the entire modding community to fix it.. I hate how vanilla skyrim looks, modded it's amazing..

Proving once again, 12 year olds just love shiny lights and flashy, loud things, no matter how ugly they are.. XD

Game may look great however, never know. Just depends on the finished product.
  9. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Story and gameplay are equally as important when it comes to games. But intense graphics will draw people more into the game and make it a more immersive experience especially for the people that have a powerful enough system to get the most out of the visuals.

Im more likely to play a game even if it has a shit storyline and mediocre gameplay just because I can walk around the scenery and get totally lost in it and not some game that has turd brown textures for most of scenery throughout 99% of the game - even if it has amazing gameplay and storyline.

I wouldnt be able to bring myself to play it or at least concentrate long enough to even get far into the game
    D007 says thanks.
  10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Moral of the story: release modding tools and any shit looking game will become pretty given enough time :)
  11. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    very true.

remember back in the early days when IW/Treyarch used to give the community dev/mod tools for CoD games?? the communty added all sorts of mods and ported maps in from OTHER GAMES into CoD specially with CoD1 and MW4. I saw maps from medal of honor:AA and maps from quake and loads of other games ported to the game.

same thing can be said about earlier Battlefield games and other games where the they gave the community dev tools.

but publishers and developers want more money so they stopped giving out dev tools and in effect forced the community to buy map packs as there was no other choice if you wanted to keep playing the game.

CoD4:MW1 on the PC still has quite a large group of active players purely because you can play on modded servers or on servers with a crap load of custom maps.

Those days are long gone, as they think the community isnt 'smart enough' to use the dev tools they provide... Or isnt that what EA said about BF3???

who knows anyway. all i know that giving the community SDK tools only adds to the popularity and longevity of a game as vanilla gets boring after a while.

I personally was sick of the stock maps of MW1 after playing it non stop after 2 weeks and i never touched stock maps again after that until i eventually stopped playing the game entirely
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  12. Calin Banc New Member

Thanks Received:
    For me, all of them are important. TW 2 it sure has some fine story and characters, but the gameplay, graphics (LOD system and "shiny" stuff in general), all of them fall behind. Alan Wake has an awesome feeling due to graphics, especially in Eyefinity. Sadly, the boring gameplay mechanic and linearity had manage to destroy almost all of it.

But not only that. If we look in general, except for Battlefield, Red Faction, Hydrophobia, the fire propagation in Far Cry 2 and the easy map creator in MP, euphoria in GTA 4, the open vast environment of Just Cause 2 and some other minor exemple, there aren't any truly new gameplay features out there. Skyrim is pretty much the same as Oblivion, with some simplified things. There aren't any "epic" battles like in Mount and Blade with tens or hundreds of soldiers on screen. Todd said something in line of "more hardware power will only give us a better looking game 7 feet away, where the player doesn't see much anyway. Nothing more". But in some short clips prior to Oblivion, he argued about the dedication of Bethesda to reinvent TES every time and how the new hardware helped them to achieve such a goal. Now, being no new console, he's view suddenly shifted. I'm not surprised.

Going back to CoD, the gameplay is actually the same as before. Just some new story and new maps. Nothing a moding team can't do in a year or two, which rises the question for me: how come people buy this game in such large numbers? :)

PS: Think how the original Deus Ex for instance, would look on the version of UE that was used for Samaritean demo or on Cry Engine 2/3; how the atmosphere, animations, characters and world detail, could improve the game.
  13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Because people are sheep.
  14. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Phantasmagoria fan? ;) Yeah, me to. :rockout:
  15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    The band or the game?
  16. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    No point in creating a new engine (which they aren't capable of anyway) when your target platform is several year old consoles. When the time finally comes then they will license ID Tech 5 and repeat the cycle again.
  17. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    its a pain in the ass to get addapted to a new engine and the new tools that comes with it.. i do rather stick to 1 engine that can do the job what it needs to do an upgrade it trough time when it needs to
    i wished if valve released source sdk base 2012...
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  18. Calin Banc New Member

Thanks Received:
    For a professional it shouldn't be that difficult. After all, they receive support from the engine's developer if they don't want to or can't make they're own.
  19. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Since the regular SDK Base isn't any different from what they use now. The point is, as technology gets better, old engines can't keep up. Example: Do you see any Source and COD engine games using DX11? I don't think so. Do you see these games using modern graphics technology? Not really. The point is, Treyarch has gotten so lazy that in addition to barely touching the engine, they're reusing levels and then charging you money for a half-assed job. I'm done supporting a company that keeps selling the same game and I will consider getting CoD again when they actually put work into making it significantly different, but until then, shame on them.
  20. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    there is a large difference in Source sdk Base 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, ect
  21. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    it is interesting to see how long companies can stretch out a game engine. obviously you dont need to have great graphics to have a great game but it doesn't hurt either. and with the right art team behind a project, a game can look amazing even with 5 year old tech.
  22. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    if it aint broke dont fix it.

just because they arent naming this engine different doesnt mean its exactly the same engine as 7 years back.

and this engine is pretty efficient, resource wise.
  23. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    it is on modern ,drastically over specced for this engine hardware , i can turn every IQ setting to max 24 x enhanced AA(in catalyst) blah blah blah and these games still do 60fps

they are really starting to show their age to me, the blocky shite textures and low detail worlds actually starting to put me off playing at all.... and its as simple as this the AI ,in game physics, lighting and texture detail dont just need upgradeing id start again if i were them its very poor compared to the frostbite engine

im not buying another thing from Treyarch till they put some damn effort in