1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tried changing cpu fan speed but does not work!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Trung, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Trung New Member

Thanks Received:
    I noticed that my cpu fan was cooling my cpu sufficiently but it was just too damn noisy....I checked the bios and found that it was running at an average of 4000 rpm constant....so i changed the settings to 'silent' thinking that it would slow down straight away...nope it didnt...so i saved, exit and rebooted into the o/s but still dawn noisy...checked the bios again and it was still running at 4000 rpm.....am i doing something wrong, perhaps someone knows another way or the correct way to do...cause the noise is killing me...i know that it can run from 2500 rpm up 4500 rpm but getting it to 2500 is the problem

BTW my mobo is the Asus P5W DH Deluxe and the heatsink is the Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro Cooler...i need to get rid of the noise, its driving me insame lol
  2. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just googled and apparently thats a relatively loud heatsink fan.

If temps are high that would be the reason.
    What are your temps?

If they arnt too high maybe you need to invest in a fan controller.
  3. Trung New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah its between twenty something to 37 dbs i think...so thats pretty loud but when running at 2500 rpm it shouldnt be too loud, but getting it to 2500 rpm is the problem....with my stock cooler cpu temps were pretty high so i bought the rocket and my temps were at resonable levels...but the only thing is the its constantly running at 4000rpm even when i'm idling and i cant really find the time to go buy a fan controller coz i work a night shift...i'm at work as we speak now lol...there are no other ways???It would be much easier if i could change it in the bios or something lol
  4. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    u can physically connect the red +5V cable, from 4-pin molex connector to fans red cable and black on black ofcourse. That makes about 50% reduction on fan speed.
  5. Trung New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool, but what happens i put the system under load will the fan kick in again?
  6. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    no its just constant 50%. as the guy said u will be better off with 5euro fan controller. its very neat device
  7. Trung New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh ok then, i guess thats the only thing that can be done lol....i'll see what i can do in the weekend or something....thanks for the help...appreciate it
  8. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    the fan controller is very easy to use. just plug the fan into controller and ur all set.
  9. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    DID you try the software speedFan? or motherboard monitor?
  10. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    speedfan is my advice too.

link
  11. Trung New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried changing the speed in hardware monitor but it didnt work.....the software speedfan i uninstalled...it wasnt reading right so i just got rid of it...correct me if im wrong, does changing settings in the bios a direct approach where as changing in speedfan kinda indirect??? Perhaps there is a bug with my bios revision??? I'm not even sure what my bios revision is, i'll go have a look tonight lol
  12. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    No offense, but just because it detects wrong does not mean you cannot change the speed of the fans with it.
  13. Trung New Member

Thanks Received:
    none taken, nah just that it didnt read everything else properly so i just uninstalled it lol