1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Triple Buffering in Direct X ???

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by MatTheCat, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am wondering whether or not anyone here can tell me the correct way of using D3D Overrider to enforce Triple Buffering in Direct X?

Do I enable Triple Buffering thru D3D ovdrv with or without V-Sync enabled?

Of course, I have tried it with both V-Sync on and off and find that only V-Sync enabled provides satisfactory (no tearing results). If the idea is to gain performance by leaving V-sync off, then I dont really see what visual improvement Triple Buffering provides?

Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    IIRC, Triple Buffering is exactly that, it triple buffers the frame so that it is ready for when the monitor refreshes when you have vsync enabled. Which in turn is said to improve framerates

When ever I have vsync on, I put triple buffering on, its almost impossible to tell if its working or not tho.

MatTheCat says thanks.
  3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    triple buffering is onoy for the occasion when you have stuttering caused by the output frame buffer being full and the card having to wait to write the next frame only to find the last two written are going to be dumped, it acts as just a third frame buffer to keep up with pending requests. Most GPU's today will not need to use this unless you can determine you are against the vsync and or frame limiter and getting lags when you rapidly change direction.

MatTheCat says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU