1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Triple/Dual Channel Kit questions

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by ShadowFold, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would it be alright to use two of the 2gb sticks from a 6gb(2gbx3) kit on a dual channel board? Would any problems arise, or would it work fine?

2. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ive done it a few times, the only prob is the wasted third stick.
    (I did it with the Crucial 3 X 1gig sticks and the OCZ 3X 2 gig sticks)

Does the dual channel mobo have the voltages that the memory spec lists?

3. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not just get a dual channel kit? Most companies have dual and triple channel kits of the same type of RAM

TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  4. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Well, here is a way to look at it....

Duel Channel ram, tighter timings at higher volts,
    Tri Channel ram is looser timings at lower volts.

My Gskill Trident 2000mhz ram is running at 2000mhz right now at 1.65v NOT no 2.1 volts heating things up!

If you can get a kit that can still do that same mhz at less then 2.1v and tight... Then why the heck not?

SS Tri-Channel ram In Duel Channel

[​IMG]

5. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    because as the man stated, the exact same ram is most likely offered in a Dual channeled kit. In your case, it is. Since you are not using the extra stick, why pay for it?

G.Skills Trident Dual channeled kit

6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    And here is a better thing to show at you. If you know a thing about ocing you will see.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16820231233,N82E16820231240

Two same sticks of Gskill ram. ran at the same timings.. The only difference is that tri-channel ram is set for LESSER volts.. So, if your a person that look at volts for what is what, then you would see that Tri-Channel is the way to go. Why go for a kit that is set at higher volts, to where your going to oc the ram, and then tighten it? What happens when your start to oc the ram? (duel-channel)You gotta raise the volts while hoping they don't fry... Where as the Tri-Channel, you can get teh same effect, yet you can start at lowered Voltage..

Also, you linked me to 1600mhz ram... I got this kit of ram...

I seem that I can't even find the 2x2gb sticks of Trident in the 2000mhz list of what Gskill has..

7. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Not sure why so hostile towards me, but it that case you are correct. I was merely repeating what was stated early. Often times, such as the kit I posted since he said it was Trident, you can find a Dual Channeled kit of the exact same RAM, voltage and all.

Here is the list you wanted. Please note they have 2 versions of the DDR3 2000 Mhz Tridents. The newest versions have tighter timing.

All Trident

8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    First off. I'm not being hostile at all towards you. There can be more ways I could of stated the last message to go more after ya. Trust me.. More.

Now, for the list. Yes, there is a few kits there that offer both the tri-channel & duel-channel in both variants. Your right on the fact that they do sport the same voltage, but I love the fact you say, "Please Note that they have 2 versions..." While looking at the link, I really must be going blind.

[​IMG]

Even G Skill's site States that there is onle 1 kit of 2000mhz

Shadowfold was probably asking for the fact his dad has the Rampage 3, so he was going to use a stick oh his ram to test on his CH3..

Yes, holycow was stating a good point on the fact that their now coming out with the lower voltage ram, for their DD3 Duel channel kits.. Yes, if you still have the duel channel, it would be a CHEAPER choice to go with the Duel channel.. But, here is something to look at. Besides the fact that with a Tri-channel kit works with i7 only, having that extra stick can help you out. You got that extra stick of ram that will help you if one stick goes dud... or, you just got a new board, got a processor that can run it, but only one stick... No money to get the ram.. Pop it in, and there you go till you got the money for the kit. Ram that will allow you to install the os, and work around enough to test it.. While the other computer is on.. So no swapping.

Holycow, LaughingMan, I wasn't going after you. No reason to go after you on this topic.. Or any..

9. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, my bad. Guess I failed in my observation and research on this one.

10. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Bro, it's all good. We have that happen.. I've just bought a Pump top to a DDC pump, while I have a D5... :roll: Dumbass I was doing that.. But, hey.. It happens and we move on to know more from our fallies..

:toast:

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the lower voltages have nothing to do with them being a triple channel kit at all.

The reason thats happening is that the older kits are dual channel, for AM3/775 - and there was no voltage limit.

now with i7, there is a 1.65v limit - and thats a big no no to use higher. They're just making sure they dont release the triple channel kits that will kill i7.

You can always grab a dual channel kit (With its higher voltages and better timings) loosen the timings and lower the voltages - if they're from the same manufacturer, odds are its the same ram.

12. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I think this question won't be off-topic, so I'll post it here.

I'm currently in dual-channel (2x2GB), if I add a 3rd 2GB stick can it become triple-channel? Does it have to be the exact same RAM (in my case it'll be Samsung)?

13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    related, all good.

Nope. good idea to match voltage and timings if possible - you have to go highest common denominator for votlage for ram (if one stick needs 1.65v minimum, all sticks have to be at 1.65v)

Yes.

entropy13 says thanks.