• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Triple monitors with 2 video cards...

JayPeeM

How does this work? Does running an application on the one screen run with a weaker card lead to weaker performance? Are applications draggable between the screens? I've done duals before but never messed with triples.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Two GPUs work together to render the single image in 3D, full res across all monitors. Same as using one monitor, just at higher resolution.

Or, they push one of the monitors, while the other two stay in dekstop mode. very little performance impact from multiple monitors, but only one in 3D.

AMD cards connect all three to main card, and tell windows they are just one large screen.

nVidia cards connect two to the main card, one to slave card.

Nvidia requires 2 cards for three monitors, AMD does not, allowing up to 6 or 12 monitors with just one card providing you buy the right model of card.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
caninjadaveca made a better comment;)

JayPeeM

Two GPUs work together to render the single image in 3D, full res across all monitors. Same as using one monitor, just at higher resolution.

Or, they push one of the monitors, while the other two stay in dekstop mode. very little performance impact from multiple monitors, but only one in 3D.

AMD cards connect all three to main card, and tell windows they are just one large screen.

nVidia cards connect two to the main card, one to slave card.

Nvidia requires 2 cards for three monitors, AMD does not, allowing up to 6 or 12 monitors with just one card providing you buy the right model of card.

Wait, 3D? What if one of the 3 screens is a different resolution?

Basically, how would my computing experience vary from having dual monitors where I can snap one window within a single desktop on a different monitor?

I'm thinking about one of the following arrangements

1080P 22"/720P 32"/1080P 22"

OR

720P 32"
1080P 22"/1080P 22"

With the 720P screen being used mainly for multimedia and Word, while other programs (such as ArcGIS) run on the other two.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If it's for 2D stuff, any AMD card can do triple monitors, although if one monitor does not have a DispalyPort connection, you'll need an adapter. No need for two cards.

You can run a secondary monitor on another VGA just fine too, if you wanted. I just don't see much point in multiple cards unless for 3D.

Matched monitors work best, of course, but whatever floats your boat. You could have one monitor two feet above, and three feet over, if ya wanted, desktop arragement is however you want it to be.

If you utilize multiple graphics cards for multiple monitors (in a non non-CrossFire/SLI configuration), doesn't 2D/3D-accelerated software switch to software-mode and lose speed when dragged to a monitor hooked to a card other than the application's origin?

But for non graphic-intensive windows applications, multiple cards in a non-CrossFire/SLI configuration should work fine for many monitors.

If it's for 2D stuff, any AMD card can do triple monitors, although if one monitor does not have a DispalyPort connection, you'll need an adapter. No need for two cards.

You can run a secondary monitor on another VGA just fine too, if you wanted. I just don't see much point in multiple cards unless for 3D.

Any 5000/6000-series AMD card with a DisplayPort can run up to 3 monitors on the card (assuming it has 3+ outputs total); even more if it has more DisplayPorts. NVIDIA can only do two per card.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
doesn't 2D/3D-accelerated software switch to software-mode and lose speed when dragged to a monitor other than its origin

Not that I have seen. I use triple monitors daily.

007.jpg

Not that I have seen.

I was talking about separate monitors on separate cards in a non-CrossFire/SLI configuration.
(edited for clarity)

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I was talking about two separate cards in a non-CrossFire/SLI configuration.

I know, but it doesn't matter if you use an AMD card and Eyefinity, and is why I suggest using two different cards, or nVidia's solution, for 2D, is not such a good idea.

I can only EVER speak about what I have, so don't take my statements as an overall opinion, jsut covering my personal experience. Someone else will have to pipe up for how it works with nVidia and triple monitors.

When you can use AMD's cheapest 5- or 6-series card, and run triple monitors on the single GPU, there's no real reason to span your desktop across multiple cards.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree that that's the simple solution. I was just answering from the vantage of "I have an old video card, can I use it for a third screen?". But for a new purchase, AMD's solution is simple.

Last edited:

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Does running an application on the one screen run with a weaker card lead to weaker performance?

Essentially, yes. Depends on the types of cards and how you have them configured like cadaveca said. We need more info from you, but yes if you are running an app on a monitor hooked up to a secondary weaker card that is not in SLI/crossfire then yes the performance will be as strong as that card. The other card will not assist with performance at all.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I know, but it doesn't matter if you use an AMD card and Eyefinity, and is why I suggest using two different cards, or nVidia's solution, for 2D, is not such a good idea.

I can only EVER speak about what I have, so don't take my statements as an overall opinion, jsut covering my personal experience. Someone else will have to pipe up for how it works with nVidia and triple monitors.

When you can use AMD's cheapest 5- or 6-series card, and run triple monitors on the single GPU, there's no real reason to span your desktop across multiple cards.

Multi Monitors are good for work. Now dont get me wrong having multi monitors for a Race Game or Flight Game where you are in the Seat/ Cockpit and having the sides viewable as of say windows or canopy is cool actually

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Multi Monitors are good for work. Now dont get me wrong having multi monitors for a Race Game or Flight Game where you are in the Seat/ Cockpit and having the sides viewable as of say windows or canopy is cool actually

Damn right. I can't work without my 4 screens. 3 identical screens in eyefinity landscape + 1 LG E-IPS in portrait for development, reading, etc. If I had to go back to two or one screen I think I would kill myself.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
i wasnt insulting you

Cad check out my brothers system build see what u think. Im thinkin about goin with a 6790 since he isnt a gamer per se.

JayPeeM

Thanks for all the answers, guys! I'm slowly but surely working my way back from n00bdom.