1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tropico 4 Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 5, 2011.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I skipped part 2 and 3. However I may have to get this one ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It was confirmed a long time ago. XD

I just hope they give more options for controlling traffic.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    No multiplayer? 3 Sucked imo, what I REALLLLLLY want is another pirate one but this time have it be more dark and realistic
  4. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    So they mean it will be a shitty console port?
  5. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I don't think so. I hope.

Anyways cool news, loved 2 and 3. And judging from the screenshots, you can build plazas eh? Nice. Very nice would be the ability to build a bridge to a smaller island that happens to be on the map...

Lets just hope they'll deliver a good game that hasn't been drowned in the sea of more-more-more
  6. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Should be in my mailbox today!
  7. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Not sure about anyone else but the pictures in the OP aren't coming up.
  8. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I'll post gameplay pictures later on.
  9. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    You can download the demo for it on Steam right now.
    AsRock says thanks.
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I kinda loved and hated the 3rd one. Will have to check the demo out.
  11. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    So at first glance at the full game version 1.00, it looks like its more of a Tropico 3.5. Most looks and behaves the same as Tropico 3, with minor changes (for the better as I discovered in the first 10 minutes). I'm not too sure about the graphics tho. Personally I think Tropico 3 looked better... 4 looks kinda washed out, but has richer colors. Judge for yourself, maybe there's a patch or I'm just stupid. Grapics are on highest settings.

As you see, a lot looks the same. The menu is very different, it opens wherever you klick on the screen. The arrangement of the buildings and stuff is more or less the same, but, at least in the German version, a lot of buildings have different names now.
    [​IMG]

Nice waterfalls. Landscape looks a lot more alive and real, but I already pointed out the graphics thing.

[​IMG]

Buildings seem to have more detail to them tho. And now you can see their stock on supplies/goods like in Tropico 2.

[​IMG]

Remember those messages about too many ghettos, not enough medical care and so on? They now have caricatures of the representative fraction leader. Top right corner the overview of a citizen (a showgirl). ...she's 64. Residents of Tropico 4 apparently are into grannys.

[​IMG]

Seems the market has an overstock of goods. Note the different stone color of the sidewalk.

[​IMG]

Some buildings look exactly like in Tropico 3, some are very different, like the Highschool.

[​IMG]

All in all I have to get more into the game. Altho nothing much has changed I need some time to adjust to all the new menu styles and names of things. I admit I'm not too happy about the graphics. A step back in my opinion. And you can't adjust the sensitivity of the mouse, making careful scrolling at highest zoom level impossible.

Here the graphics menu (in German but you'll figure out what is what I'm sure).

[​IMG]

Edit: In the German Kalypso Forums is a lot of arguing going on about the graphics. Almost everybody is kind of disappointed. Since its the first day of release of Tropico 4 (in the world eh eh) there isn't much going on regarding the full version but rather the Demo. And it seems the Demo lacks the Ultra textures, and it seems so does the full version. I'll play around some more.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the links are dead now. Ill update them after work if I can remember.
  13. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Good 'review' MRCL. Glad to see more people are interested in this series. I was so addicted to this with Tropico 1 & 2.
  14. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Well fuck.

[​IMG]

Actually now that I've played the game for a couple of hours, my initial shock made room for the good ol Tropico addiction. The progress level is totally different. You have...sorta quests, like imprison citizen A to get mad props from fraction B and stuff like that. Seems sorta meh at first but you have to be rather intelligent about your choices. I'm having beef with China now, just sayin'.

The new menu style is all about getting accustomed to. Import/Export is solved the simplest possible way, yet it works surprisingly well.

Traffic isn't nearly as chaotic as in Tropico 3.

As for the graphics, you get used to them to a certain degree. Interestingly, playing around with the settings and actually select inferior options makes the game look better. Eh, I dunno. Pathday anyone?

Most importantly I'm having fun again and thats what Tropico is about. But still its a Tropico 3.5 rather than a 4, too many thing stayed the same, the biggest impact is in the details.
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  15. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Does the game have tsunamis hit the island?
  16. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I was interested in this game but i might wait for a patch before buying it.
    Tropico 3 was good i enjoyed it, i didn't think it was amazing but a decent game compared to the first and second.
  17. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Not that I know of.
  18. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    What other types of weather effects did they add?
  19. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know they just made the text events (storm and earthquake) into effects. I have yet to witness an earthquake. Other weather stuff are clouds (they look very good), volcanic eruptions (if theres a volcano on the map) and dry periods. Haven't seen them yet.

The good thing is you can rebuild the destroyed buildings without figuring out what it was and placing a new on on the debris.
    KieranD says thanks.
  20. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    looks pretty interesting. so this game plays like sim city? or age of empires?
  21. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I think you could compare it best to the Anno series.
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    That image reminds me of my home. Sky's look like that everyday during the summer around 3pm.
  23. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    ClThe weather changing effects are quite nice. The sea changes color dependig on clouds and light, as soon as you see the sea turning dark and clouds building up on the horizon you know you're in for some fun.

But you can build a weather alarm station that informs you about such events in advance. YOu can even tell them to lie to attract tourists during tornado season lol.
  24. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    You've gotta admit, the colours and house textures look horrid compared to T3.

But one major thing I noticed(evident in that screenshot) when playing the demo is that only sometime buildings actually have shadows.. I mean comon, even on the highest settings this is still a common occurance :shadedshu They'd wanna fix that BEFORE release. It doesn't even look like the buildings are attached to the ground, it just looks wrong.
  25. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Like I said you sorta get used to it. Still its not comparable to Tropico 3.
    However this screenshots are from build 1.00, and it looks like the demo which means not all textures are implemented (ultra settings). I don't know how that will be resolved, I'm hoping for a patch. Kalypso spokesmen aren't really answering to peoples questions on the forums. They roundabout around graphics related topics.

I've not noticed buildings missing shadows. Will have to look into that when I'm home again. Might jsut be a demo thing because graphics options are very limited there.