1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trouble Overclocking?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Spacegoast, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    So I have been having trouble with my OS. Last Sunday I had a blackout and Monday I turned on my PC with a message saying BOOTMGR is Missing press ALT+CTRL+DEL to restart. So I tried a repair twice, once it restarted and the second time I got a BSOD. So then I went back to XP and everytime I tried to OC I still got the MOOTMGR is Missing message. Also, I removed a hard drive that I wasnt using. I have heard that sometimes stuff is installed on an extra hard drive. Could that be why I am getting this message? Well now I am back using Vista 64 ad I am attempting to recreate the Bootrec. Any ideas on what I should do?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Your master boot record could of gotten corrupted. May just need to do a reinstall, but I know with XP if you put the disk in and boot from the disk you can select repair, and at the prompt type fixmbr.

3. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    but now i am using vista not XP. i havent tried to OC since going back to Vista but I am pretty sure the BOOTMGR is missing still.

edit: ya i am guessing it got corrupted from the blackout we had here

4. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Well, see if Vista has the same option, I don't see why it wouldn't, if anything it's probablly easier to do.

Spacegoast says thanks.
  5. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    ok i went to system recovery options and tried to rebuild bcd under the command prompt option and it was successful, but their were 0 windows installations afterwards. this is very frustrating now. been a whole week at stock settings because i cant overclock

6. erocker

Thanks Received:
    It formatted your drive?! That shouldn't be?! Now, try doing it like you are going to install a new copy, when you get to the menu select repair previous installation if you can.

7. erocker

Thanks Received:
    *Once repaired, if possible... Find all the files you want to save and save them on a DVD, flashdrive, etc. Then just do a fresh install. It's most likely when the power went out, other system files may have been corrupted as well.

8. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    no i reformatted back to XP, then to Vista again. i still get the BOOTMGR is missing message when i try to overclock though.

9. erocker

Thanks Received:
    What are you OCing?

10. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:

i tried overclocking the CPU to 3.2 ghz (400x8) and RAM was left at stock 1000mhz at a 4:5 ration (400:500). each time BOOTMGR is missing came up. it will boot at stock speeds though

edit: i went to the system repair and then to command prompt. i tried rebuilding the BCD, tried fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd. still not working. i may doing something wrong though

11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    When Vista did that to me once, it was due to failing memory....you may need to increase your FSB/MCH volages a notch since now you have a faster CPU bus speed and a higher Memory Bus Speed...it's doing a lot more work and if the extra voltage isn't there it'll cause errors, misreadings, loss of info...I learned that one from experience, and Vista is WAY touchier about that and faulty memory than XP...so if you are not stable verified...ya better increase the voltages and veryfiy stress stability.

I hope you can get it figured out man!

Can you post your OC bios settings possibly? Are you leaving your PCI-e @ 100? Can you control PCI speed or is it ratio'd to the PCI-e?

We'll getcha sorted Spacegoast! :toast:

Spacegoast says thanks.
  12. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    well here is what i attempted to OC at:
    Cpu fsb-400 ( x8)
    RAM- at stock 500mhz (x2 for 1000mhz)
    pci- was at 105 i think
    cpu voltage- 1.36
    NB voltage- 1.403v
    SB voltage- 1.5v

these settings worked easily 2 weeks ago. i got this thing up to 3.7ghz and now i cant oc at all. could a power outage damage RAM or hard drive?

13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    There is a possibility of there was a power surge, depending on the type of outage that you experienced....

Have you ran Memtest, Orthos, Scandisk?, etc?

14. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    all the electricity in the house went out. haven tried memtest or orthos either.

15. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    ok so i tried memtest and it failed test 5 at 1066mhz. it said the errors were for slot 0. im am using dimm 1 and 3. im guessing that is dimm 1 then. does this mean my RAM is bad or i need to up the voltage? i have never used memtest so i do not know what to look for.

16. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    when you were running memtest, did you leave both DIMM's in?

17. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    yes both dimms were in.

18. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well, what are your RAM settings at? Voltage? VTT? Timings?

What's the stock suggested timings/speed/voltage on your RAM?

19. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    5-5-5-15 at 2.1v is the stock timings and I set the voltage to 2.11v.
    VTT was at 1.2v i think

20. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Have you cleared your CMOS since the power outage? May not make a difference...may make all the difference. If something's buggered up that can be repaired that way, that would be just too easy...I didn't see anywhere if you had done this or not already...so if not, give it a shot. You know your OC settings, so starting from a fresh slate won't be complicated for ya.

Next thing, run Memtest at STOCK speeds/settings...granted that still means you're running your memory at DDR1000, 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v...if there are no errors, then we can move on. If there are errors...then try setting TRFC higher, I know for D9's and overclocking I learned from users here that 52-54 work quite well...so that may be worth a shot. If there's still no dice, then increase the memory voltage to the next step (2.12? 2.15v? I dunno what your increments are...). Run Memtest again...if you start passing, then you start increasing FSB and CPU speeds to your old OC settings.

But if this memory can't pass at stock...I'd recommend you do an RMA...

Hope that helps! :toast:

Spacegoast says thanks.
  21. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    ya i tried clearing the cmos and removing the battery, nada. i tried using chkdsk and i found there were several errors and they were deleted. but for some odd reason an unexpected error came about and it kept restarting. so the problem was never fixed. i reformatted again and this time i couldnt install windows vista. then i tried XP and it wouldnt finish installation again :mad:. so im thinking the HDD is crapping out now. i already am in the process of RMA :(. so hopefully a new hard drive will resolve this because it seemed like that last one was shot. also, i forgot to mention that i put in my 2gb crucial ballistix and the same problems were occurring. so i am almost positive that it is not the memory.

thanks for the help though kursah, much appreciated

22. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well keep us posted! Hopefully the MCH isn't going fritz on you either...I don't think it is...but we'll know for sure when you get your HDD situation taken care of!

:toast: