1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

trouble with skyrim

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Theoddis, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i just bought a sapphire 7970 3gb OC w/ boost (my first AMD card) and it runs everything beautify... except skyrim when i play skyrim i get i guess it would be called micro-stutter ( indoors and in caves when i run or turn it seems like it gets jumpy) it also does it outdoors sometimes (only when turning) and a little artifacting, nothing permanent just a half a sec where something doesn't render. i tried contacting tech support for sapphire and found it kinda doesn't exist all i could get after 5 emails is an RMA form. i miss EVGA where i could actually talk to someone live. not just a robo e-mailer sending me RMA forms
    here are my specs

i5 3570k 3.4 ghz
    16gb corsair vengance 1600mhz
    WD blue 1000gb HD
    sapphire 7970 3gb OC w/ boost catalyst 13.1 driver
    thermaltake 850w PSU

2. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    do you have any mods loaded?

is skyrim fully patched up to date?

I have the original Sapphire 7970 OC (Pre Boost - Black pcb) and skyrim is silky smooth.

3. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    skyrim patched. 2k textures mod and a couple skins and body mods but it does it even with no mods and clean install

4. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    hmm...

have you tried AMDs new uninstaller to clean out the gunk?

win or win8?

5. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    win 7 64bit I used driver sweeper to re install the latest dirivers

6. The Mac

Thanks Received:
  7. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    What version of of drivers are you useing because every driver from 12.6 up to 12.11 beta have that problem with texture flicker its a big knowen problem. I know it stats in driver version 13.1 that is fixes the texture flicker And also the microstutter is also kinda normal in skyrim espesially when turning since how skyrim renders the textures

8. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    hes using 13.1, see op.

9. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    oh duh diden't notice the driver version but the rest is still valid and by the looks of it they diden't actully fix the texture flicker

10. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i fixed it i used MSI afterburner and set my FPS limit to 60fps now she is silky smoooff

11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    You could also try putting the card in the 950/1425 BIOS position and clocking it manually to the 1000/1450 BIOS levels to see if doesn't do the constant up and down throttling that the boost feature can result in. I have the same card and have been tempted to do that.

Sometimes using an FPS cap helps, sometimes not. Depends on the game.

12. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Relatively well known problem with Skyrim on Windows 7 Primarily.

I set the game to windowed mode then download SBW mod from the Skyrim Nexus and launch off the SBW exe.

Skyrim goes over 60fps even with Vsync on in both WIndows XP and Windows 7 but for some reason this causes micro stutter in Windows 7 unless in windowed mode.

13. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    that fix will be in the official 13.2 beta

14. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    easiest way to fix the problem is to limit the FPS

from what i remember you can use

Dxtory and Bandicam to do that
    http://www.bandicam.com/product/game_recording_program_setting/

limit the FPS to 59 and most problems should go away. Beta 13.2 may fix Skyrim altho the driver is considered very much incomplete right now.

regardless limit Skyrim to 59 fps and the microstutter feel will be significantly reduced. as for texture flicker it seems to be related to a missing lighting pass and a few other things should be fixed in 13.2 as well. however if the issue is truly that bad roll back to an earlier driver like http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion124ReleaseNotes.aspx

as for the Vsync issue in Windows 7 its not really a problem with vsync or win 7 its problem with the Gamebryo engine that has existed since 2003. the game engine runs at 59 hz for most work for some reason that was never corrected, Morrowind / Oblivion / Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas / Skyrim all suffer from this issue. again limit fps to 59 enjoy the game lol. Still other aspects of the engine run at 60 hz essentially Gamebyro engine is a giant steaming pile of shit lol. That hasn't changed all that much since Morrowind started production way back in early 2000's

59 fps and the above driver should fix 99% of your problems that said its still not a guarenteed fix sadly Bethesda's PC titles and PS3 ports are just well subpar from a technical standpoint.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  15. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    radeon pro will do it as well, plus u get all kinds of other goodies with it.

I agree about gamebryo, its a pile of crap, and always has been.