1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TrueCrypt is Dead

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Jun 7, 2014.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Sorry if this has been posted. Did a quick search and didnt see anything. If this has been posted already feel free to delete it.

So apparently Truecrypt is dangerous to use and no longer safe? What are your thoughts and concerns? Why has it been abandoned after so long?

http://www.economist.com/news/scien...-piece-software-disappears-mysteriously-tales

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt

https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I saw that a few days ago. Kind of sad.

My theory though, is that there really is a security hole in TrueCrypt. Possibly similar to the holes that have been found recently in other encryption methods. I mean Heartbleed was found, and just a few days ago another bug was found in OpenSSL that makes it totally useless and apparently the most recent bug has been in in OpenSSL for over a decade! So my theory is the developers of TrueCrypt know there is a bug, they likely don't want to fix it, so they are just dropping the product before the bug is actually discovered.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. timta2

Thanks Received:
    My conspiracy theory is that the vulnerability is one they were forced to put there by the NSA.

<<Onafets>>, Easy Rhino and remixedcat say thanks.
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I didn't even hear the one about OpenSSL.

if that's a case what is even the purpose of releasing encryption software if you're just going to put a huge back door inside the source code for the government agencies to get through. It just makes the whole program seem null. Makes it pointless.

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    All security has to be based on data, and since computers are only capable of 1 & 0 it can be broken. Unlike human brains where a plethoura of neurons and life experiance programming those allows for the range of ideas we have and nuances to create arbitrary ideas....

I thought more RNG would be based off a random zip code, temperature at that zip code, likely chance of precipitation, and other random data instead of always using the same RNG that was proven to be flawed.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    When I was reading the Kaveri review on Anandtech I saw an ad saying so. Seemed weird and didn't click on it but later I visited the website :cry:

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Lenovo computers have been banned from being used by British intellegence and MI5 because they have a hard coded backdoor through manufacturing. It wouldn't surprise me if the world's leading open source encryption software that everyone uses for its cost was vulnerable for the purpose of spying. The devs are little men compared to the big suits.

9. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Why would anyone buy a Lenovo, anyways? Are they even closely related to their prices?

Apples are overpriced, in my opinion but, they provide something that PC's don't, (insert random sarcastic comment on the intelligence of Apple user's).

At least, IMO, the ASUS I bought is worth more than I paid for it. BLAH, BLAH, Laugh.

:p

Oh, to be a little more Germain, Security is more an Illusion than Reality. Just don't do things you need to hide, or, things that will call special attention to you. Also, it is a good idea to change passwords on a regular basis, depending on your threat interpretations.

:D

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    ^ I feel we are all dumber for that comment.

Arjai says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU