1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

trying to fix my computer need help

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by amd64skater, Mar 3, 2008.

1. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    im trying to reinstall my system with the restore disks and now it freezes in the middle of the install can anyone help
  2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Restore disks? Is this a prebuilt system? If so, what brand is it?
  3. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    its prebuilt gateway 827gm
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bad HDD, bad IDE controller on the motherbaord, bad CD-ROM drive, or a bad cable that's connected to one of those things. It could also just be a scratched CD?
  5. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Does it seem to crash around the same area everytime? could be scratched or damaged data on the cd as erocker said. Or bad sectors on the harddrive.
  6. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    no it freezes at different parts of the install i tryed both from the harddrive partion and the disks nothing seems to work now im screwed. im pretty much giving up on that pc now i am using my g/f's pc and i dont know what to do now
  7. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    anymore ideas out there by anyone
  8. Saakki

Saakki New Member

Thanks Received:
    If u dont have any very important stuff in your HDD, download Hirens Boot CD or something and use formatting tools to format the hell out of that HDD..then make a clean install :rolleyes: thats a last opinion almost imo..
  9. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you've got a CD burner on that other PC, I'd use it to make a Knoppix Live CD (could be other Linux Live CD, like Ubuntu). Boot that, then you can use the CD burner on the crapped out one (assuming it has one) to burn your data to CDs, using brasero or K3b or whatever burning software is on the Live CD.

Unless it's a loose cable on the hard drive, you've probably lost that hard drive, but there's a chance you can get your data off it this way.

:)

The other approach would be to pull the suspect hard drive and connect it to another machine with a good hard drive and OS on it, and then use that OS to copy data off the bad drive onto the good one. Make sure it is the "slave" on the other PC, either via jumper or BIOS setting.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  10. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Try removing any add-ons you put in the machine that wasn't shipped with, put the bios in default...then try again.
  11. Fox34

Fox34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Deriks boot and nuke. Then if you BIOS supports a HDD health stress test use it. It could be your disk also. Like I was saying boot and nuke will wipe it clean, So you can start from scatch. You disk could also be junk, I've gone through plenly. One last thing, bad CD-Drive, where if the data first going in;)