1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trying to increase upper OC limit with no luck

Discussion in 'RBE' started by Octopuss, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I can't seem to get this to work.
    I believe I understand the concept: save the card's original BIOS, load a BIOS with higher limits, save its signature, load back the original, load the signature into it, save as new one, and flash it.
    For some reason the card just won't work at all (I am glad my i7 has integrated graphics so there is a way back).
    Are there any specific rules about which BIOSes can I use to rip signatures off? My card is Sapphire 5850, 1GB version. Using some common sense I just looked into the database for matching models, of course. Well, after a couple attempts I am still getting nowhere, so I could really use some tips what can I possibly be doing wrong.

2. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Im wondering why the heck you are flashing a bios in the first place. A new bios wont help raise an overclock in the first place.

I would flash back to your original and move on.

3. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    And how else am I supposed to raise the limit, eh? Have you even seen RBE yet at all?

4. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for valuable tips everyone.

5. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Yep seen it, and used it a while ago. Last I recall, RBE doesnt raise the limit of the software you are using to overclock. You can perhaps change voltages in it, but not sure if you can past what software does in the first place.

One answer was good enough apparently. :p

Flash it back to stock is still my advice.

6. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I did, it wouldn't even boot. Internets are full of articles and discussions about this particular method though, so it should work. Why would the author of RBE bother with the BIOS signatures part if it was useless? The way I understand it it's supposed to raise the OC limit for software.

7. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My understanding is it is possible.... although risky and without guarenteed success. A silly question I know, i assume you have tried disabling CCC and using something like AB? Or does that not give you a higher option? Again I assume you have tried force flashing another possibly overclocked Bios from the same manufacturer that would come with a higher limit? Might be the only way to get the card to work now if the signature is knackered anyways.

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    5-series card, to get higher clocks, edit CCC limits in the BIOS using RBE(using "no hash" method). Voltage can be adjusted as well. Actual clocks for specific 3D or 2D states cannot be changed.

IF that fails, then you need to use an older driver, pre-11.11.

9. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    You can alter afterburner .cfg file to unlock the clocks

10. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Oh, uh. I only tried the first method, because I got the impression it was THE one to use safely without running into problems. Gotta try again!