1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tuniq Intros Propeller 120 CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 28, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Tuniq introduced its newest CPU cooler, the Tuniq Propeller 120. This release follows the launch of the Tower 120 Extreme. Measuring 128(L) × 127.5(W) × 145(H) mm, and weighing at 590 g without the 120 mm fan, The cooler sports an unconventional design. From the CPU base pass four 8 mm nickel-plated copper heat-pipes that make direct contact with the CPU. The two ends of these heat-pipes pass through two blocks of aluminum fins. The fins are somewhat triangular in shape and are pitted for added surface area.

The bundled 120 mm MFDB fan comes with a fan-speed control knob, and spins at speeds between 1000~2000 rpm, pushing up to 90.65 CFM of air, with noise levels of 16~20 dBA ± 10%. The fan blows air onto the motherboard, passively cooling other components. The Propeller 120 also packs a tube of the company's newest Tuniq TX3 thermal compound. Supported sockets include LGA-1366, LGA-775, and AM3/AM2+/AM2. It comes in two variants, CR-PRO120-BK with black colored fins, and a blue LED-lit fan, and CR-PRO120-SV with normal (chrome) fins and an opaque black fan. The Propeller 120 should start selling this October.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The design looks to be a very good cooling solution, with the heat pipes in direct contact with the processor. Instead of being samwiched in between two copper blocks or on top of the copper block. Would like to see some bench test with this cooler though.

3. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting.. just like my own Big Typhoon or SI-128, but with HDT.

Anyways, I have yet to see if HDT actually makes a difference. Megahalems and TRUE, and especially my own IFX-14 keep on proving otherwise.. :ohwell:

4. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Won't be better than the Tower 120 Extreme.
    Just the distance alone from the heat pipes to the cooling fins is a disadvantage.

5. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking the same thing, along the lines of a Big Typhoon but hell of a lot sexier. I can see me snagging one of these up no problem.

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've been pondering a design like this for ages, the heat rises up and isnt left sitting near the CPU socket/VRM's etc.

It has less metal (so less dissipation area) but should lower temps around the CPU socket.

7. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    interesting design