1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Turbo monitoring on SB & IB?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by L'Eliminateur, Aug 8, 2012.

1. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    Hello gents,
    i have quite the interesting conundrum with my new IB box:
    In order to tune to overclocking, power limits and turbo limits i need something to log/monitor the exact multiplier/clockspeed of all the cores continuosly and through time.

¿Is there some tool like this?, CPU-Z is of no use because if i load some fullscreen app then i can't monitor anymore(and also monitoring all 4 cores means 4 windows, not very useful).
    ¿What are the reviewers using to monitor this when doing OC tests?
    Also, is there a tool to load individual cores synthetically?, do i use prime95 with cpu affinity to test how long can the cpu maintain steady state?

2. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    noone, really? :/

i could do this with rivatuner in the past, but ever since that became abandonware... (and hardly works on win7 64), and MSI afterburner is crap that's a no go.
    CPUID tmonitor log option is meh, and it wakes up parked cores unnecesarily
    occpt doesn't has anything of the sort

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

No, you don't need to do this. You're over-complicating things here.

set voltage to 1.25 V, set multi, test. Power limits on all boards I've had so far adjusted automatically.

Frankly, you're wasting time going into such detail on how overclocking with Turbo works. Intel has done a fantastic job of making Turbo THE way to OC IVB chips, so most of what you need to do is automated already. There is literally ZERO skill needed to OC IVB.

Anyway, you could also check out "Throttlewatch".

Crap Daddy says thanks.
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I tried to make a program that would monitor clockspeeds and graph them but the source for the values I was using (registry) never changed so it was kind of useless. :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    i want to know exactly for how long does each core stays in whic multiplier under different loads, if i wheren't concerned about itd i wouldn't have gotten a K chip nor invested in the cooling i have.
    and it's of no much use if the highest turbo only maintains for 10 or 20seconds then goes back down to +1 or stock

6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  7. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    checking
    ona bright note, cpuid also finally released an updated tmonitor, i'll be testing that

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    It's very simple. The multi will stay at whatever you set it as long as the chip is loaded. You have the option of setting the four different multi options...singlecore, dual, triple, and quad loads. You can set them independantly, or all the same.

As long as the workload remains, that Turbo mode stays initiated.

Singlecore mode will see a single core @ 3900 MHz on 3770K, while the other cores will sit with thier respective multis...3800 MHz for one, and 3700 Mhz for the last two. Like this:

[​IMG]

Dual core mode will see 3800 MHz for two core, and 3.7 GHz for the other two.

Triple-core loading will see 3700 MHz for three cores, and the fourth will sit @ 3600 MHz.

Quad-core loads see 3600 Mhz on all cores.

Cores remain at speeds dictated by the load, and do not drop in speed until the thread is complete.

This isn't older Intel CPUs...I could understand your interest with older chips, but these new chips..you really do not need to worry about this stuff, and when OC'ing, you use that Turbo mode to set multis, and YOU designate which multi you get for which load.

Now, if you want to cusatomize the speed of your CPU to match your workload needs, I can understand that, but I see such as a waste of time when it's best to set all multis to the same value, so that you get the same multi no matter what load...like 4.6 GHz on all cores, as I run. Like this:

[​IMG]

Again, what multi the CPU uses is dictated by the load the CPU is under, and the multi set remains until that load changes, so I'm not sure why you need to test such, really, other than to satisfy curiosity. If a thread moves to another core, the multi moves with it.

You asked what reviewers use? SInce I do motherboard and memory reviews here @ TPU, I can say that I use CPU-Z, as pictured above.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    L'Eliminateur and Frick say thanks.
  9. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    i see, interesting data cadaveca.
    How do you go about touching the base multiplier?, or you don't touch it at all and just fiddle with the turbo multiplier(s)?

10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, leave base alone, use Turbo to OC. 1155, you can OC by base alone, but you lose all power-saving features for idle periods. On SKT2011, both my 3960X's require Turbo to OC...you cannot adjust the base.

I really cannot say enough times how easy Intel has made it. It's actually very impressive to me that they have clearly invested a lot of R&D into Turbo, and quite successfully turned it from something OC'ers disable, into the DEFACTO was to OC. Many complained at SNB launch that OC was dead with SKT1155...if you ask me, they made OC easy for the masses.

11. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the tips, i was worrying about touching the base multi and losing turbo & power savings(C1E etc etc).
    And luckily my MSI MB has that fancy "super turbo" which boost all cores to max turbo all the time.

Since you have a 3770 i'm going to piggyback another question: do you notice ANY of the cores parking?, i have a i3-2100 at work and i notice one of the cores is parked all the time, but my brother's i5-2400 and my 3570K never park a core

12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    No parking noticed here. Ithink we might see this more in Windows8..I think a kernel change is needed? Not sure on that exactly.

When testing motherboards, I do tend to pay close attention to the system, watching voltages, power consumed, temps, and various other things...I'm not the sort to just run benchmarks then write a review.

13. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    that's weird, i'm running the exact same windows 7(pro 64bit), the only difference is that the office pc is a Dell branded one, my brother uses an inte P67l mb(which should support al the intel gadgetry most of all).
    When(or IF) i get another i3 passing through the shop i'll check to see if it's only happening on i3 SNB cpus

14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Might be ERP or whatever it's called..ESA? Whatever those power-saving technologies are refferred to as.
    :p

15. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    i have that on my MSI mobo, and AFAIK ErP is for when the pc is in S3/S5 to use less than 1W(removing usb power and stuff)

16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, not that one exactly...but one of them. :p As far as I know, SNB and IVB both support core parking, but there's more to that than jsut having the CPU compliant...board, board BIOS, and OS all need to be as well, as perhaps Windows settings can affect it as well.

Guess it's about time I delved deeper into it and checked it out.;)

L'Eliminateur says thanks.
  17. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    cool, you have access to more hardware than i get here at the shop most likely.
    i'll be looking forward to that article

18. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I have turbo turned off on my 3820. I'm running 126x35, and Turbo doesn't need to be enabled until I go over 36. I've been able to squeeze up to 135mhz out of my bclk on my 3820 so far, but I haven't really tried for more. All in all, this is a moot point because SB and IVB aren't going to let you do much to the bclk anyways.

19. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    i've confirmed the issue on a customer PC, it has a i3-2120 with an intel H61 motherboard and the 2nd core was parked almost all the time, it was even with a stock win7 professional x64(no SP, no drivers pack, nothing).
    Since i haven't been able to test some combos to confirm i can so far deduce:
    1) it's restricted to core i3 SNB and upper(no IVB i3 yet...)
    2) it's restricted to H6x series chipsets

what's missing is testing an i5(IVB/SNB) on an H6x or an i3 on a Z77/P67/Z67
    Sadly i won't be able to test that since i don't have easy access so those components at the same time(too "high end" to see them normally on the shop)

and on the turbo and overclock note, i just rearmed my waterloop(the s1156 backplate arrived) and haven't tested much with multis, so far i can run at full turbo on all cores all the time(x38), i'll see how far can i get without touching vcore