1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tweaked Crysis' Graphics to High on XP (DX10)

Discussion in 'Games' started by regan1985, Mar 19, 2008.

1. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my friend is using this unlocker at the moment, he has vista and doesnt like it where as i have grown used to it. we are using the card ie 2600xt and he seems to get better fps i guess because he is using xp, but he seems to think that even tho i have vista dx10 his dx9 on full will look the same! this cant be can it?

2. Apa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps it's just me, but I see no difference between DX9 very high and DX10 very high, except for one thing... in DX10 there is some kind of "grainy disturbance". I'm not too sure how to explain it in english :p I think the easiest way is to say... imagine when you have the TV on without a channel, there's this black and white flicker all over the screen. Imagine that in crysis, except that you BARELY see it (and it's not black and white, it's the normal colors in crysis) unless you stand still ingame and stare closely on the screen.

Also, I get ALOT better frame rate in XP with the 'fake' very high settings.

dark2099 says thanks.
  3. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think XP can run the full gamut of DX10 features...but i've been wrong before :laugh:

You're right it runs better because XP is less of a resource hog.

You can tweak vista to run faster by disabling a bunch of stuff in the background.

There's a vista tweaks thread around here somewhere....

:toast:

4. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Well, you can enable the Very High settings in XP by simply editing some of the games files. A simple Google search returns the know-how.

Google: Crysis XP DX10

5. kylew

kylew New Member

Thanks Received:
    It may be similar, but DX10 isn't really working in XP, it's just doing certain things that WORK in DX9, but are meant to be optimised for DX10.

6. kylew

kylew New Member

Thanks Received:
    Static :)

7. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    That static is actually an effect that is supposed to be direct x 10. It is called dithering. Lets look at it this way:
    GIF compresses images by reducing the amount of available colors
    JPEG compresses the images by dithering using an engine, or an algorithm if you will.
    This dithering actually makes the picture look better by sort of "randomizing" the pixel spacing, so that when you look closely at an object, it is harder to see the imperfections in the graphics. Yes it does look better, but it is also less exact in terms of graphics. BTW im no expert, my wife is just a photographer and graphics expert.

Apa says thanks.
  8. largon

Thanks Received:
    Hacked "Very High" in XP does not feature all the effects. For example some motion blur -related features are DX10-only but it's really nothing you'd notice while playing. BUT! Hacked "Very High" on XP also is not plagued by the performance hit caused by DX10. Infact, instead of using DX10 I would personally recommend you to see what the custom 3rd party config files such as Taowolf's Silentium can offer (better than DX10 "Very High" level of detail + more realistic lighting and colors + much more). Using a mod like this is insanely simple: just copy the autoexec.cfg in your Crysis main folder. What's even more insane is that these config files make the game considerably prettier and they don't cost FPS at all on a decent VGA.

9. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find the difference between high and very high huge. The foliage, water, volumetric effects are completely different. I just wish i could play on very high.

10. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to try that out this weekend largon. :toast:

11. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Largon got half of it. DX10 gives you motion-blur on your weapon and hands, also, the lighting shaders are DX10. But everything else is still DX9.

Don't forget, the Cryengine was built on DX9 NOT DX10. DX10 effects were added in later.

12. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahhhh . . . dithering . . . .

anyone who owned a 3DFX card back in the day knows exactly what you're talking about :toast:

13. largon

Thanks Received:
    Here's a crude comparison I put together to demonstrate how custom configs affect level of detail and image quality:
    1. DX9 all on "High"
    2. DX10 all on "High"
    3. DX10 all on "Very High"
    4. DX9 all on "High" with Taowolf's custom autoexec.cfg and CVAR folder (single player only)
    5. DX9 all on "High" with Taowolf's custom autoexec.cfg (punkbuster compliant)

edit:
    DX10 "Very High" vs custom config is especially interesting...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008